2015 Golden Spin of Zagreb Ladies | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2015 Golden Spin of Zagreb Ladies

karlowens2

On the Ice
OK.

Tuk - I don't really find her enjoyable to watch. But, her strength and solidness is impressive. Be curious about the 3A. It didn't look around to me.
Elizabet - Too young and too childlike to be a senior. Is she even 40 kg? A grossly unfair advantage over Leonovo, Wang and other adult women. The situation would improve if senior age raised to 18.
Chen - also too young. But, seems to be making steady progress. Want to see the protocol - score seems low.
Wang - her first few elements were very nice. Some flubs later. Her skating skills are maybe not what they should be. Wobbly in many places.
Sot - what we all know is - she had one strangely great competition and the rest - not that special. I feel sorry for her. She will always be under a shadow - did or did she not deserve to win? She doesn't seem to be making progress.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
True!!!!! I love Her. I'd love to meet her just to tell her how much joy she brings when she skates. I'm always sad when I skater doesn't skate their best. But, I have a special feeling for the Vets of skating like Leonova, Sotnikova, and Ashley Wagner. Are their any other skaters that are over 21? In fact, is Sotnikova over 21? She looks very young still.

Sotnikova is just 19 years old (born in July 1996).

Made a quick list:
Asada, Leonova, Rodeghiero 25
Wagner 24
Joshi H, Artemieva, Nagasu, Imai 22
Murakami, Gjersem sisters 21
Gold, Hicks, Rajicova, Osmond 20
Chartrand, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova 19

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sotnikova is only 19. Maria Artemieva's 22, Joshi Helgesson is 22.. I'm sure there are more "older" skaters that I'm forgetting. Oh yeah, Elene Gedevanishvili is older than they are, and I think she's still competing.

ETA: Forgot about MAO!! :shocked:

Thanks blue, I thought Sotnikova was still young. I totally forgot about Mao. It's funny I chose the word "Older" since I'm literally Twice as old as Ashley Wagner. :no:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sotnikova is just 19 years old (born in July 1996).

Made a quick list:
Asada, Leonova, Rodeghiero 25
Joshi H, Artemieva, Nagasu, Imai 22
Murakami, Gjersem sisters 21
Gold, Hicks, Rajicova, Osmond 20
Chartrand, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova 19

Wow......Look at those 19 and 20 year olds. We're in for a good 5 years of great skating.

winky97

Medalist
How old is Karen Chen? She is definitely making a name for herself and the more she skates, the more I'd like to see her take the 3rd US spot for the ladies. I was hoping Angela would make a big statement here but, I've been hoping that for the last 2 seasons. Whether a skater wins or loses, I want them to skate well. Angela needs a shrink. I still love her but, she has got to get her head together.

My girl Karen is 15. I want her to be the third American for the World team so bad!

mrrice

Record Breaker
My girl Karen is 15. I want her to be the third American for the World team so bad!

15!!!!!! What.....How can she skate with that much feeling at 15. If she fixes her flexed foot on her I spin, I'd have her over Polina in heart beat. Is she going to Junior Worlds?

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
So, the fight for Russian Nationals is going to be tough.

Tope 3 will be for sure Medeveda, Radionova, Tuk,

Spoilers could be Adelina or Pogo or one of the junior babies

I do not see Julia or Elena cracking top 5

I can imagine Yulia in the top 4. It´s not impossible:dev2:
And i´m not sure if Radionova and Tuk can do great, nothing is "for sure".

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can imagine Yulia in the top 4. It´s not impossible:dev2:
And i´m not sure if Radionova and Tuk can do great, nothing is "for sure".

Has Yulia fallen out of favor with the Russian Fed? I thought she was one of their favs.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has Yulia fallen out of favor with the Russian Fed? I thought she was one of their favs.

She was never supposed to have made it on that Olympic team. She was an "unexpected child" so to speak. She isn't forsaken by any means but she has never been shown the same love as others. Others who skate for CSKA ;)

FWIW: it looks as though the fed is supporting and funding her move to Sochi with Alexie and if I'm not mistaken they've said they will do it thru the next Olympic cycle. If she regains form...how can they deny her. If she continues to faulter her fame will only help to spur the Sochi program in many ways. She's more of a "people's champion" :love:

I'm obviously saying my prayers for her to return. :eek::

Wiat....what thread am I in? Why are we talking about Yulia?

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Hmmm, no 3-3 for Liza again. But I'm so glad she's coming back to her top form. :)

IleK

On the Ice

I think Yulia would have made a great favor to Adelina and to herself by winning the Olys as the russian fed expected. I feel that Adelina paied a big price for that olympic gold medal. She lost all her will and the way she won it and everything after that made it even worse. I wasn't happy with her winning that night but I got over it and now I want her back, she was and is young and with so much to give, I just hope this is not the end. There are 2 things that she has to deal with. The first one and the easiest is to lose few pounds and get in shape because she is learly out of shape and not as slim as she was when she won at Sochi and that shows when she cant rotate the 3t-3t or 2a-3t, these were her best combinations that she never missed. popping the flip is something different and this brings us to the second thing I was talking about and the hardest. Her mental issues which is nothing new and more, the lost will of winning and the fear of failing as a (contested) olympic champion. I so wish she didn't win gold. Siver would have been better for her future in figure skating. Keep fighting Adelina.

LeCygne

Final Flight
I love Karen Chen, so happy that she finally had a good skate. I hope she can start to build that consistency now after the summer boot problems and a rough start to the season. She is SO talented and already has great jump technique, awesome spins, amazing speed, and such a presence on the ice for her age. She has the potential to really become a star, and it's just about getting those last few pieces to fall into place.

There's absolutely no reason for her to be consistently underrotating her 3-3 with the amount of speed, height, and good technique that she has in her jumps. Her programs this year really went from pretty bad at the start of the season to just mediocre now after completely recutting the music and revamping the majority of the choreography. I'm not against Les Mis by any means, but honestly the version of On My Own she chose is just terrible - the first time I heard it, I actually thought someone had dubbed in that music on YouTube.

As a huge fan of Karen's, I've said this before but I wonder if Tammy Gambill has already taken her as far as she can. I really think someone like Tom Z would be perfect for Karen in cleaning up the 3-3, strengthening her mental side, and looking at the larger picture of where her skating can go in the next few years. That said, she is young and I don't know if the family would be up for a move away from California...

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Congratulations to my tiny babies for silver and bronze medals! :love: Also congratz to Liza for gold :)
About a comment earlier on Elizabet, calling her being at senior circuit gross? Seriously? She is age eligible so she decided to compete as senior, not the 1st, not gonna be the last, and how is the way she looks , being tiny and slim and all(which she cant do anything about at all) related? some 15year old skaters looks so much mature and noone says anything about it but bc she is tiny she doesnt deserve the chance? And how does her being senior have anything to do with Leonova and Wang and others underperforming? i am sorry (not really ) but thats just silly (and to blame it on Elizabet is gross )

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I love Karen Chen, so happy that she finally had a good skate. I hope she can start to build that consistency now after the summer boot problems and a rough start to the season. She is SO talented and already has great jump technique, awesome spins, amazing speed, and such a presence on the ice for her age. She has the potential to really become a star, and it's just about getting those last few pieces to fall into place.

There's absolutely no reason for her to be consistently underrotating her 3-3 with the amount of speed, height, and good technique that she has in her jumps. Her programs this year really went from pretty bad at the start of the season to just mediocre now after completely recutting the music and revamping the majority of the choreography. I'm not against Les Mis by any means, but honestly the version of On My Own she chose is just terrible - the first time I heard it, I actually thought someone had dubbed in that music on YouTube.

As a huge fan of Karen's, I've said this before but I wonder if Tammy Gambill has already taken her as far as she can. I really think someone like Tom Z would be perfect for Karen in cleaning up the 3-3, strengthening her mental side, and looking at the larger picture of where her skating can go in the next few years. That said, she is young and I don't know if the family would be up for a move away from California...

I know it's impossible but, I kind of wish Tom Z. and Tammy would hang out together. Tom's student's really seem to have their heads together and rarely have melt downs on the ice. I love Karen's skating and I really love Inspector Gadget's (Ricky) skating. He's just become difficult for me to trust. He's up one season and then Boom. He's out of the top 6.

fruitbasket

Rinkside
I think some judges should eliminate being judges

How did Liz rec'd zero GOE instead negative from incomplete turn out triple AXEL?
How did Tursynbaeva rec'd very low PCS scores?