2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Ice Dance SD and FD | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Ice Dance SD and FD

nocturnalis

Medalist
I find it a little bit weird that C/B's PCS was higher than the Shib's. Don't really agree with that. Otherwise, the scoring is about right in my eyes.

C/B are considered the top American couple. Don't expect the ShibSibs to surpass C/B until the face each other head-to-head, regardless of how well they do.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Ice Dance SD

1. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 63.24 (30.60/32.64)
2. Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR) - 62.70 (29.94/32.76)
3. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 62.56 (31.32/31.24)
4. Federica TESTA / Lukas CSOLLEY (SVK) - 55.08 (28.32/27.76-1.00)
5. Kavita LORENZ / Panagiotis POLIZOAKIS (GER) - 47.36 (23.28/24.08)
6. Cortney MANSOUR / Michal CESKA (CZE) - 45.96 (23.52/22.44)
7. Victoria MANNI / Saverio GIACOMELLI (ITA) - 41.46 (20.62/20.84)

Top 3 separated by only 0.68 pts!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
sigh... i actually enjoyed it... and now that it's over. that remains the highlight for me... it's fun and entertaining... and they have the highest TES so it's clear the judges didn't like it... or perhaps, they were too slow at the end,... i felt they did slow down a tad
It's often been the way that if a dance couple dares to be different, while still ticking the boxes, they don't always get credit for it. And yet we all like to see originality.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
C/B are considered the top American couple. Don't expect the ShibSibs to surpass C/B until the face each other head-to-head, regardless of how well they do.

The poster was talking about Coomes/Buckland.

tulosai

Record Breaker
It's often been the way that if a dance couple dares to be different, while still ticking the boxes, they don't always get credit for it. And yet we all like to see originality.

Well I think with G/P a lot of things could have been going on in the judges mind- probably to start their SS (or at least hers) are not as good as Shibs or C/B still, though she has clearly worked to improve a lot and is MUCH better than she was. I used to kind of cringe to see her next to Paul in that way but I don't anymore, she has gotten much better.

But basically this is a pretty radical (not just different, radical) program probably in the eyes of some of the judges, who are probably mostly white men over the age of 60. On the one hand some of them probably have some Beatles nostalgia, but basically conceptually this program is about (or could easily be interpreted to be about) two people in the 1960's getting high and then coming back down. Are these judges likely to like that concept? Maybe not. Then there are the unarguably distracting and arguably garish costumes, and the fact that this is just a really WEIRD program for a waltz, and it's easy to see how some judges might not be inclined to really hand out high scores. Basically yeah the program is different, and fun, but it might just be too different- not only for old judges but for a lot of people as the comments here show.

I myself am honestly still deciding my opinion on it so don't take this necessarily to be criticism of it, just a presentation of how it might be viewed.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Definitely not. The SD is weird. And while their FD is good weird, this dance was definitely a bad weird. IMO

^^ I know different strokes for different folks, but to me G/P raise the bar and make ice dance more exciting with their risk-taking. Sometimes taking chances doesn't work, but for me both their programs this season are original, refreshing and they work wonderfully!

And yep, Chock/Bates are not at this comp. C/B commentary here is about Coomes/Buckland.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well that makes sense... sorry .. i am in no way a beatles expert... :) but yeah... if that's what people think about... THEY NAILED THIS DANCE!!!! they deserve higher PCS :)
No problem! Happy to be of help!

I probably should have added - Sgt. Pepper is the album that "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" is from.

And that is exactly what most people reckon that "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" is really about!

CaroLiza_fan

Barb

Record Breaker
I really liked the shibs program, I wonder what other mistakes they did it, they looked disappointed even before the scores. I like P/G program and the costumes are nice but please remove the final pose. I missed C/B.

nocturnalis

Medalist
^^ I know different strokes for different folks, but to me G/P raise the bar and make ice dance more exciting with their risk-taking. Sometimes taking chances doesn't work, but for me both their programs this season are original, refreshing and they work wonderfully!

I kind of like it because it reminds me of how tacky some ice dances used to be before it started being respectable.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I really liked the shibs program, I wonder what other mistakes they did it, they looked disappointed even before the scores. I like P/G program and the costumes are nice but please remove the final pose...

I do like the Shibs a lot, and I wish they would be favored over Chock/Bates by USFS, but I don't see that happening unfortunately.

What final pose would you suggest G/P use instead of the one they have, that will fit the flavor of their program with more pizzazz?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
okay... going to bed... that was fun... i am not sure what i will dream about after seeing all of this ;) but gotta wake up in 5 hours ;)

i think that the judges will find G/P more and more endearing as the season goes... it is a bit surprising at first but it's already grown on me

Art&Sport

Medalist
I kind of like it because it reminds me of how tacky some ice dances used to be before it started being respectable.

Those earlier drama-tacky teams though were seriously tacky. Gilles/Poirer are simply creatively fun-whacky, ingenious and off-beat. Their Hitchcock FD is OTOH seriously one of the best choreographed and memorable ice dance programs.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Nice change of pace from Shibs, now who says sibling teams have to suffer? I wonder if they skated closer together though if that would make the pattern better? They seemed to struggle with that. Good start though :thumbsup: