2023 CS Nepela Free Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023 CS Nepela Free Dance

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think it is the best that MF can come for these two as clearly, they cannot have Lilah skate on her blades for too long. IAM is fabulous at catering to the strength of their skaters. Without IAM, they don't get over 200 points :)
It's so bad b/c Pascal Denis, Romain Haguenauer and Ginette Cournoyer are responsible for coaching/choreographing what F/G put on the ice. And they're making these choreos very kitschy. I wish Olivia Smart would have come back to skating for GB and teamed with Lewis. Now, that would be a team!

Last edited:

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
It's so bad b/c Pascal Denis, Romain Haguenauer and Ginette Cournoyer are responsible for coaching/choreographing what F/G put on the ice. And they're making these choreos very kitschy. I wish Olivia Smart would have come back to skating for GB and teamed with Lewis. Now, that would be a team!
Don't be silly. Lilah and Lewis are clearly very well suited to one another and kitschy/camp programs work for them, being a key part of their appeal. Why should everything be 'lyrical' (aka same-y) all the time?

I think Olivia and Lewis would make a poor match. Them being from the same country doesn't mean they'd suit and would be a silly reason to split up a very successful partnership. And why is she receiving such hype anyway? She's definitely talented, but it all feels rather over the top.

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
The criticisms about Fear and Gibson's program are reminding me of the criticisms of Green and Parsons last year with Rhapsody in Blue.

Many kept saying that their free was something along the lines of 'not being what a top team needed to be successful' (a sentiment that originated from the godawful skating lesson youtube thing). And yet they were national silver and made it into the top group at their first world championships (beating some very decent teams)... so they were succesful!

Fear and Gibson have been the runaway winner of two Challenger Series. How is that a flop?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Don't be silly. Lilah and Lewis are clearly very well suited to one another and kitschy/camp programs work for them, being a key part of their appeal. Why should everything be 'lyrical' (aka same-y) all the time?

I think Olivia and Lewis would make a poor match. Them being from the same country doesn't mean they'd suit and would be a silly reason to split up a very successful partnership. And why is she receiving such hype anyway? She's definitely talented, but it all feels rather over the top.
Okay, first of all, I'm in the sport and have ice danced at a high level and am on the pro side now. I know what I'm doing and talking about. But hey, you think everything's silly so.....que sera sera.

Also, I never said everything has to be lyrical or in your words "same-y" all the time. You said all that, NOT I. Please Don't put words in my mouth.

As far as Fear/Gibson. I have liked and rooted for them since they were considered "nobodies" in the sport.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Wow just caught up on both RD and FD - def not the results I was expecting apart from F/G winning. Gutted for La/La with the twizzle errors as I assumed they were a lock for 2nd place given the scores they were getting last year. They’ve had a rough start to the season similar to Green/Parsons…I don’t get K/Z scoring so high nor D/G - how the hell did they still manage a silver after she messed up the twizzle + fell on that element?? They are not P/C….Love the Taschlers but they need better programmes and packaging as they kind of remain in the junior camp in those two areas, however think they should still have been higher than D/G overall with the massive mistake from Diana (D/G somehow still scored higher in PCS over both T/T and Lala). I wish it was easier to understand how the judges mark PCS…

Last edited:

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I'd not heard of the second Canadian team here before, and it turns out Peter Beaumont is from Rotherham, about 10 miles from me. Does anyone know the story of why he went to skate for Canada?

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
recruited by the Lanes if I recall correctly. Watch their red violin at JGPF last year...

Thank you for the video - just beautiful!

Interesting that he was recruited by the Lanes. Another very talented South Yorkshire local skater (Billy Wilson-French) has recently gone to train the Lanes and now skates for Canada. Carol was over at IceSheffield (South Yorkshire) a couple of months ago for a coaching conference - I wonder if any other local skaters will be transferring over to Canada? [Piper and Paul were also at the same conference - such a treat to see them here!!]

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you for the video - just beautiful!

Interesting that he was recruited by the Lanes. Another very talented South Yorkshire local skater (Billy Wilson-French) has recently gone to train the Lanes and now skates for Canada. Carol was over at IceSheffield (South Yorkshire) a couple of months ago for a coaching conference - I wonder if any other local skaters will be transferring over to Canada? [Piper and Paul were also at the same conference - such a treat to see them here!!]
That sounds like Carol :) At the same time, Carol gives back. Soucisse Firus now skate for Ireland.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Kind of late to the party, but anyhow...

Fear/Gibson, Davis/Smolkin, Zingas/Kolesnik all give me the impression that the guy is doing the heavy lifting, both literally and in terms of skating skills😅

Also, I know it's not good to compare scores between competitions, and it's early in the season, but I am starting to get worried about Kazakova/Revia's chances for Worlds now. I don't think they had major errors at Nebelhorn (as far as I remember), but there's almost a 10-point deficit between them and Davis/Smolkin with a fall. On the flipside, maybe it'll work out for both teams in the long run if Diana and Gleb go, because with those scores they may have a better chance of earning 2 spots, which should be easier for both teams to maintain... 🤔

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Okay, first of all, I'm in the sport and have ice danced at a high level and am on the pro side now.
We know, we know.

More generally, the salt that's coming out against Lilah and Lewis is pretty funny in a black humour sort of way. Too many folk - and I don't claim I'm immune - are satisfied to justify or gloss over dubious PCS-driven wins when it suits the skaters they like (and please, don't come back with 'but I criticised that or that specific skate!' it's an ongoing thing) and then go all More-Objective-Than-Thou when it doesn't. Just... admit your one-eyed and biased, folks. It's easier in the long run.

And can we make up our minds whether we want variety in our skaters (and stop going on and on when someone's style isn't to our own particular taste) or not (and stop whining that the junior men all choose srslysrs ballads)?

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
We know, we know.

More generally, the salt that's coming out against Lilah and Lewis is pretty funny in a black humour sort of way. Too many folk - and I don't claim I'm immune - are satisfied to justify or gloss over dubious PCS-driven wins when it suits the skaters they like (and please, don't come back with 'but I criticised that or that specific skate!' it's an ongoing thing) and then go all More-Objective-Than-Thou when it doesn't. Just... admit your one-eyed and biased, folks. It's easier in the long run.

And can we make up our minds whether we want variety in our skaters (and stop going on and on when someone's style isn't to our own particular taste) or not (and stop whining that the junior men all choose srslysrs ballads)?
I know yours is a general statement, still I'd like to qualify my previous post in that Lilah does her fair share of lifting in the performance department, maybe even moreso than Lewis. They're clearly very strong in that aspect, so there's no doubt they would score higher than other teams with a similar skill profile (partners of different skating skill levels, compensating with good lifts and choreography).

It gets tricky when comparing apples with oranges, though. For example Fear/Gibson versus Guignard/Fabbri (well-matched skating skills, but programmes generally not as broadly accessible/engaging). Or Davis/Smolkin (slow but tick boxes) versus Kazakova/Revia (good speed and power, but more likely to drop levels on elements). So I guess I agree with your point?

I don't think there is anything wrong with people expressing like/dislike for a certain skating style or music choice though (like ballads or whatnot), as long as they acknowledge the subjectivity of their opinion. The debate just gets more heated when scores are at stake.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand

Just putting in my 2 cents here.

To preface, I'm fine with Lilah and Lewis as a partnership and I don't think Olivia really suits Lewis anyway (physique/style).

I wouldn't say Olivia is 'hyped', any more than Lilah and Lewis are. Figure skating is still niche in the UK. Winning Dancing on Ice might have helped put her in the public consciousness, but only a bit. I do want to point out that she has the strongest skating skills among currently active British female ice dancers though, which is why I was quite excited to see Smart/Dieck debut (and then a bit underwhelmed... hope they match more with time 😬)