2015 Skate America Ice Dance FD Oct 24 | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Ice Dance FD Oct 24

slider11

Medalist
Who are S/B?

I was one of those who was not so impressed with what Paul and Piper was going for this season, thought they were just trying to be weird for the sake of being weird. That was how I felt watching them on video. However, watching them in person made a big difference. For both days they had the attention of the crowd the most and I think what they had to do was much harder then it looks.

Thrilled for S/B! Happy that they got onto the podium. During practice session I was sitting close by to the TSL duo and they skated over to them that they liked their videos! Very cute and genuine couple.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Judges tries to hype Gilles/Poirier, I don't like it. OK give them 8.00 for composition/choreography (They doesn't even deserve this because their dance is easy, simple holds, little blade work)

Shouldn't originality count for something? It was the only program that stood out at SC. The only one. It's worth a few points even if the routine was easier then others. As someone who's going to be there at GPF, I'd rather watch G/P programs than C/B.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Shouldn't originality count for something? It was the only program that stood out at SC. The only one. It's worth a few points even if the routine was easier then others. As someone who's going to be there at GPF, I'd rather watch G/P programs than C/B.

There were times I was reminded of the movements in Domnina/Shabalin's aboriginal dance (although with, you know, taste :laugh:). It's a quirky free dance and definitely makes them stand out. Glad they're not trying to be romantic like the French or dramatic like the Russians, and are continuing to show their own style.

Rissa

Record Breaker
There were times I was reminded of the movements in Domnina/Shabalin's aboriginal dance (although with, you know, taste :laugh:). It's a quirky free dance and definitely makes them stand out. Glad they're not trying to be romantic like the French or dramatic like the Russians, and are continuing to show their own style.

I liked the angularity of their movements (I think this is how BESP described it). :yes: So I suppose there's something in common with that Aboriginal Dance. :laugh:

rain

Record Breaker
Judges tries to hype Gilles/Poirier, I don't like it. OK give them 8.00 for composition/choreography (They doesn't even deserve this because their dance is easy, simple holds, little blade work) but why are you giving them 8.00 for skating skills? :disapp:

That is total nonsense. You can personally dislike the choreography all you want, but that program is complex and difficult. They deserved every point they got for choreography and then some. Aside from the difficulty, this was by far the most interesting program on the ice.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That is total nonsense. You can personally dislike the choreography all you want, but that program is complex and difficult. They deserved every point they got for choreography and then some. Aside from the difficulty, this was by far the most interesting program on the ice.

Agreed. And they were actually underscored a bit IMO, but this is also a polarizing program and I understand why not all the judges responded positively to it (or rather, responded more positively to something more customary like S/K).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I am not sure we can say GP were overmarked or even liked or favored by judges in this event. Really compared to their last event it is like night and day - the judge seem at best luke warm especially in light of what I have to say is a shockingly underwhelming Chock and Bates. I really don't agree with the high marks for C and B sorry - I think she is a great diva but really there are so many now adays they are a dime maybe a nickel a dozen. lol But S and K - well they uppped themselves technically. Very interesting - beat G and P too. There is going to be tonnes of movement a team like the Shibutanis could be on the podium maybe if thejudges marked them fairly evne gold or they could find themselves languishing at the bottom of the top ten. (let' s see the French, Weaver and Poje, Chock and Bates, USA 3, P and C, 2 Russians, Italians maybe even Canada 3 (doubtful but you never know - ice is so so so slippery.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker

Are you talking about TECHNICAL difficulty, or difficulty of theit artistry, choreography etc? Because from technical point of view this is pretty average programm, definitely not more difficult than Sinitsina/Katsalapov's and Chock/Bates ones, that's for sure.
As for choreography and interpretation, I liked it very much. But I also can see why some people didn't like it, the music is very weird, my wife even called it 'cringeworthy'. And the programm doesn't look like a dance, they were not dancing on ice. So, I can see why some judges appreciated it more than others. :shrug:

Ice Diva

On the Ice
But Snow63, G/P ARE dancing on ice - it's just modern dance instead of traditional dance. Go to any modern ballet & this what they are doing. Love it or hate it -- I love it because it's so innovative. I agree with you Skater Boy - C/B overmarked and their program generic and a big yawn, as is Madison's OTT expression. Also, their skating skills quite inferior to S/K's. I enjoyed S/K's program. This season's going to be really interesting with so many possibilities for the top. Just hope the judging's fair during the season -- a big stretch for ice dance, I know.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not a fan of Maddie & Evan, but they were fantastic. Out Russianed the Russians, complete with Russian music. The program FLEW by.

Yep, I guess they outsnoozed the Russians lol:) Seriously though there are a lot of fans regardless of what C and B does but this year is really a huge disappointment at least the Russians made huge headwaves. This seems two steps back for the Americans.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
But Snow63, G/P ARE dancing on ice - it's just modern dance instead of traditional dance. Go to any modern ballet & this what they are doing. Love it or hate it -- I love it because it's so innovative. I agree with you Skater Boy - C/B overmarked and their program generic and a big yawn, as is Madison's OTT expression. Also, their skating skills quite inferior to S/K's. I enjoyed S/K's program. This season's going to be really interesting with so many possibilities for the top. Just hope the judging's fair during the season -- a big stretch for ice dance, I know.

The main point of ice dance is that couple should move across the ice in holds, that's one of the main thing that makes the dance difficult - close holds. It's okay to skate not touching each other, on parallel lines at some points in a dance, you can even call it dancing, and that's what they are doing a lot. And also they use simple hand-in-hand hold through half the dance, Pairs couples do that too. That was my point.
People slam Coomes/Buckland for being not dancey and too pair-ish, in this FD Gilles/Poirier do the same. And again, I LOVE their FD, it was my favorite of the night. But I can see why not everyone like it.

As for Chock/Bates, this FD is a big dissapointment for me personally. Same their new SD.

Yep, I guess they outsnoozed the Russians lol:) Seriously though there are a lot of fans regardless of what C and B does but this year is really a huge disappointment at least the Russians made huge headwaves. This seems two steps back for the Americans.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
I don't even know why I found that so funny :)

Last edited:

keasus

On the Ice
Topic for discussion: Are S/K really that good, or is it because they have improved so much from last season that we perceive them to be better than they are? Discuss amongst yourselves:think:

slider11

Medalist
In order to appreciate Gilles and Poirier's SD, you have to "get" the Sgt Pepper/late 60s Beatles and also "get" the Baroque musical concepts. There are stark differences and hilarious similarities. That's what makes this dance so unique and frankly "smart". I think the judges are warming to it. Probably since most judges are age 40+ they have some concept of the Beatles and that helps. {e
I liked the angularity of their movements (I think this is how BESP described it). :yes: So I suppose there's something in common with that Aboriginal Dance. :laugh:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
(let' s see the French, Weaver and Poje, Chock and Bates, USA 3, P and C, 2 Russians, Italians maybe even Canada 3.

And the Brits, I think. I would place Tobias & Tkachenko over Canada's number three. Getting mighty TOUGH to get in the top ten.

Astrid56

Final Flight
As far as musical interpretation, C/B cleverly ... skillfully succeeded in emoting the composer's mindset ... struggles with clinical depression. Concerto 2 was sort of a statement/acknowledgement of the composer's struggles and later recovery from this depressive state ... having his self-confidence back finally overcoming what you would term a writer's block. C/B, I believe, were NOT skating a ROMANCE ... they were depicting the composer's emotional struggles and eventual psychological triumph. It is said that to deal with his problem, he was subjected to hypnotherapy - one could just imagine that struggle. Indeed, it's a hard piece to skate to and they were brave to explore this Rach music in this FD. I love their movements subtly, cerebrally depicting the many emotions _ pain, sadness, confusion, joy, etc ... gripping him.

I didn't like the last lift but I wonder if they decided to do that to reflect the composer's final acceptance of his problem _ to carry the burden responsibly.

Last edited:
As far as musical interpretation, C/B cleverly ... skillfully succeeded in emoting the composer's mindset ... struggles with clinical depression. Concerto 2 was sort of a statement/acknowledgement of the composer's struggles and later recovery from this depressive state ... having his self-confidence back finally overcoming what you would term a writer's block. C/B, I believe, were NOT skating a ROMANCE ... they were depicting the composer's emotional struggles and eventual psychological triumph. It is said that to deal with his problem, he was subjected to hypnotherapy - one could just imagine that struggle. Indeed, it's a hard piece to skate to and they were brave to explore this Rach music in this FD. I love their movements subtly, cerebrally depicting the many emotions _ pain, sadness, confusion, joy, etc ... gripping him.

I didn't like the last lift but I wonder if they decided to do that to reflect the composer's final acceptance of his problem _ to carry the burden responsibly.

:clap: :clap: :clap: What a wonderful read. I doubt if Madison or Evan know any of that, but it is very cool even so. :yes:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
And the Brits, I think. I would place Tobias & Tkachenko over Canada's number three. Getting mighty TOUGH to get in the top ten.

Thanks ID I agree I am not as knowledgeable with you but I do concur. though the Brits are really kind of like roll the dice and see what happens lol.