2015 Skate Canada Gala Exhibition | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate Canada Gala Exhibition

Meoima

Match Penalty
Children stop your bickering or go back to your sandboxes. but seriously each skater is very talented it seems like to be fair Hanyu is the far better technician and Chan the far better skater/pcs.
:dance2: Dude, you are accusing people of getting annoyed by a pretentious comment while your comment is nevertheless the same. No one is comparing their technique, their skating skill here. I don't even utter a word about the so-called "artistry" some certain posters keep pestering people about it. My main issue is, whenever they see something somewhat soft, lyrical, piano style they use exactly these kind of words: "channeling great skater X" or "trying to become second great skater Y" or even "emoting the same way as skater C"... or "tribute to skater Z".

I mean... come on, see skaters as WHO THEY ARE, not who you want to see. The way they talk about skater "channeling others" is So pretentious. They don't know the background, they don't understand the context, they don't feel it, they don't like it, they don't enjoy it... PERFECTLY OK. But to hint that "this performance is like copying this or that", it's obnoxious and disrespectful.

I really can't say Patrick is one dimensional compared to Hanyu. Chan skates well to many types of music and Hanyu likewise - like most skaters they kind of look similar in whatever they do.
:slink: once again, what are you thinking? No one says who is more dimensional than who. LMAO I am saying you can't compare their styles because they are so much different, period.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Children stop your bickering or go back to your sandboxes. but seriously each skater is very talented it seems like to be fair Hanyu is the far better technician and Chan the far better skater/pcs. Chan has to do what he can because of his disability - eye makes it harder to use his face but I give the guy credit. I wonder if he could skate in the special Olympics due to the eye issue - well I guess he is good enough to compete with the big boys so that is not really needed.

Lol Wow. Just wow.

chloepoco

Medalist
I dont aware the background of the performance is dedicated to survivors/victims of earthquake/tsunami. Just watched, it give my this "put on" vibe like you said in terms of music interpretation. Nathan had given some really good classic EX performances that is quite similar to J_butt and Patrick before, which I had some impression, thus the mention here.

Now that you are aware of the background of this performance, I would suggest you go back and watch it again with an open mind. The raw emotion that Yuzuru skates with is....there are no words to describe it.

padme21

On the Ice
I thought Hanyu's EX at the SC Gala was exquisite and beautiful! Hanyu and his balletic style just draw you in like a black hole. Truly a spellbinding ex program! One of his best to date!

That being said can we please not turn this thread into another skater A vs skater B thread. Please.....

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
That being said can we please not turn this thread into another skater A vs skater B thread. Please.....

And I'd like to say please stop with arguments like 'oh skater x clearly tries to channel/copy/whatever skater y's style/movements/etc'. If it reminds you of someone specific, fine, but we had so many years of amazing skaters with different styles, programs and ideas, who knows where a skater gets his actual inspiration from. Unless a skater says it himself, I don't think it's fair to insinuate they'd be copying someone. Not everyone who uses classical music copies Patrick. Not everyone who does an Ina Bauer copies Yuzuru. Not everyone who does a Hydroblade got it from Jason. And so on. (Especially not in the case of direct rivals... that's like begging for the drama :hopelessness:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
okay, not using any other skaters, let me just hope that, when Yuzuru do another EX piece with no such backstory in the future that I would not feel this kinda one dimensional/put-on/over-emoting presentation and no very prominent hunched back and more integrated skating skills.

Meoima

Match Penalty
okay, not using any other skaters, let me just hope that, when Yuzuru do another EX piece with no such backstory in the future that I would not feel this kinda one dimensional/put-on/over-emoting presentation and no very prominent hunched back and more integrated skating skills.
You don't have to watch though. :taunt:

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
You don't have to watch though. :taunt:

Yuzuru is a great skater, I like him that is why I watch his programs, and cares about his artistic development direction in figure skating.
I certainly will NOT watch people that I dont care let alone comments about them.:taunt: like this emoji as well.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yuzuru is a great skater, I like him that is why I watch his programs, and cares about his artistic development direction in figure skating.
I certainly will NOT watch people that I dont care less alone comments about them.:taunt: like this emoji as well.
For your reference, Italian skating fans they REALLY LOVE Yuzuru's ex. You can see their reactions here. You can use Google translate to understand somewhat.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/577867485622370/permalink/903165286425920/

Some of them once studied ballet, some of them are coaches, skaters, one guy is Europsport winter journalist. They're enjoying his performance and none of them complain about his posture. :taunt: because they value the emotions he emotes more than the so called "refinement".

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ People can have different opinions. Studied ballet fans do not talk about his posture in this EX, does not mean that his posture is good.:taunt: I think I have explained my opinion clearly enough thus far, so no more further interactions from me regarding this.

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
^^ People can have different opinions. Studied ballet fans do not talk about his posture in this EX, does not mean that his posture is good.:taunt: I think I have explained my opinion clearly enough thus far, so no more further interactions from me regarding this.

You know, everyone has his weaknesses. No one is perfect. Why is it so hard to accept someone as he is? You are one of those people, who are seeing only weaknesses in others. Bad attitude.

qwertyskates

Medalist
I'm going to risk a lot of ire but I wish Patrick will skate *less* boyishly, more tango, flamenco, classical, rock, etc....:hslap:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
You know, everyone has his weaknesses. No one is perfect. Why is it so hard to accept someone as he is? You are one of those people, who are seeing only weaknesses in others. Bad attitude.

How do you concluded that I only saw weakness from Yuzuru?! Give critic regarding his issue is NOT only seeing weakness. If I only saw weakness from him, why do I bother to waste my time to watch his performances. You as a fan should be much more acceptable regarding other people's critic. At least Yuzuru himself will do. well, I call that good attitude, whereas your attitude not so much.

Meoima

Match Penalty
How do you concluded that I only saw weakness from Yuzuru?! Give critic regarding his issue is NOT only seeing weakness. If I only saw weakness from him, why do I bother to waste my time to watch his performances. You as a fan should be much more acceptable regarding other people's critic. At least Yuzuru himself will do. well, I call that good attitude, whereas your attitude not so much.
The issue is that you hinted that Yuzuru copied/channeled other skaters' style/movements without understanding of the context (and no understanding of the music in the context whatsoever). It's so pretentious. The music isn't classical music in the first place. And the costume... Lol has Patrick ever put on himself such...foo foo?
You understand how much about classical music to think it's related to Patrick's style? I'd love to see Patrick skating to Bartok one day to see how he handles it, or even Wagner. To bring up other skaters' name to compare to this performance while you understand nothing about it, it's funny. Only when people call out about it you changed your tone.

There are many skating fans who like it. And the Italian group is just one among those examples. There's a poster in the Italian group even said: "I can't believe some people call him not artistic."
Oh and you can visit the link I posted above to see how much they gushed about this ex performance.

Again, you don't like it, fine. No problem. But it doesn't make people like it less and certainly there are lots of people like it. And this performance doesn't make the majority FS fans think of Patrick, Dai...or even Nathan Chen (this is a big joke, ha).

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ my comments' intention is NOT to make other people like his EX less. just my opinion. I stick to my opinion and critic.
BTW, what majority figure skating fans think. You have no way to know. you could just say you and your friends(like you always quote) like it.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
^^ my comments' intention is NOT to make other people like his EX less. just my opinion. I stick to my opinion and critic.
BTW, what majority figure skating fans think. You have no way to know. you could just say you and your friends(like you always quote) like it.
Lol, I gave you the link of the Italian group facebook, you can see it for yourself. Google translate is free. It's not like "my friends said this or that" since they're not even my friends, only members in the same group. I said "many people like it" simple as that.

And I don't think that your comment is to make people like the ex less. My issue is that you brought up other skaters who have vastly different style to compare to this performance. I am fed up with "Skater X's performance seems like a tribute to skater B" or "This performance is like channeling skater C".

I see skaters as who they are, not some shadows of others.

Last edited:

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Looking at a bigger picture Yuzu's Requiem is not just another gala performance. Beside as a tribute for the thousand of lives that were lost, it was a reminder to global audience to never forget the disaster and the risk still with Fukushima.

Some can dissect and not like it....but a reminder and tribute were delivered with that performance.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@Meoima, once again, it is pointless to argument with you, when you don't get what I mean (and I really do NOT care) regarding this issue and extrapolate or twist my intent/comments to whatever you wish to neverland. Please do not quote me again, (the new feature of GS fills my private msg box every time people quote me), this WILL be my very last comment regarding this.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I just watched Yuzuru's sc EX, he really has poor posture (the hunched back:palmf:), I can see that he wanna channel those classical style and emote like Patrick, J_Butt or even Nathan Chen. But he felt awkward there. Those moves seems not his yet. I rather prefer the rawness in his previous skating, which felt much more natural and organic. Yuzuru definitely bulked up a little as well.
Yuzuru's skating skills also give me similar feelings. it is sorta fragmented, You can see parts that reflected Tracy's SS training, well, others not so much.

:roll9: ... :laugh2: I'm sorry but it's really hard to take seriously anything from someone who thinks that this EX performance of Hanyu's was remotely similar to anything from Patrick. I mean, seriously, where do some people have eyes I will never know. :con3: