2015 US International Figure Skating Classic Men SP and FS | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2015 US International Figure Skating Classic Men SP and FS

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
That might be what they actually gave him...some of the bottom-ranked guys had scores around there (2.25 for Jordan Dodds, ouch!). But Daniel surely had enough going on to merit something more than a 3. :scratch:

Anyway - doesn't matter...he won! HA!

Well he was SUPER SLOW in the end. It looked like he was walking as opposed to skating. . .

I'm sorry, but what you're suggesting requires a judge to actually read and try to apply the criteria for PCS and I just can't believe that happens. :drama:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Congrats to all the medalists...and Shoma for scoring first in the FS. Let that be a lesson to him to not totally mess up the SP next time.

Daniel is really going places. I hope he can improve his skating skills and spins a bit in the coming seasons.

There was some really nice skating today. :cheer:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Congrats to all the medalists...and Shoma for scoring first in the FS. Let that be a lesson to him to not totally mess up the SP next time.

I wonder if there was more to it though? Nerves are a factor, but some of the jumps looked a bit iffy even in his FS today. I hope that he's not over training, injured or something else that would keep him from skating his best.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I wonder if there was more to it though? Nerves are a factor, but some of the jumps looked a bit iffy even in his FS today. I hope that he's not over training, injured or something else that would keep him from skating his best.

I hope not...I actually don't mind if he isn't his best now, as long as he continues to improve at his own pace. So many skaters who start off strong in the early season hit some serious turbulence from about the middle...one never can tell.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm amazed that Keiji made it to the podium here as well...I like his skating but his jumps are sooo hot and cold. I'm happy for him that he can take home a silver. Maybe he will get an NHK slot?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hope not...I actually don't mind if he isn't his best now, as long as he continues to improve at his own pace. So many skaters who start off strong in the early season hit some serious turbulence from about the middle...one never can tell.

I don't mind either. He doesn't need to peak now anyway. Just some of the errors seem really random and odd, that's all.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't mind either. He doesn't need to peak now anyway. Just some of the errors seem really random and odd, that's all.

To me, they seem to be a throw-back to his wonky technique from 2 seasons ago. I had thought he had fixed it last season but maybe they creep back when he is tired or nervous? His legs were not tidy in the air and his landings were pretty skewed in places. --I've never jumped myself so I don't know how to describe it properly. But yes, I did see some old bad habits there.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Not sure if you were able to watch the short dance today in Salt Lake but I was amazed to see Daniel Eaton and Danielle Thomas skate today. After research, I found they are a new team of 5 months-yes you heard me 5 months. Watch Out. They looked pretty darn amazing for 5 months. Keep your eye on them at Nationals.....

Yes, I've been really wanting to see them. Has anyone posted a video yet?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Daniel already won the new Philadelphia Summer International -- as IN's tweet reminds us.

Yes, respect for Philly (Liberty); knew I should have gone!:biggrin: And Daniel in the JGP; men's JGP final should be quite a skate:cheer:

artsciboy

On the Ice
So disappointing to see Ricky Dornbush underperform yet again. Is he destined to be a headcase forever?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I have no love for the Israeli Fed after what they did to Tamar Katz, but I have NOTHING BUT LOVE :love: for their skaters.
What happened? I don't recall I've ever heard that name.
She qualified for the Olympics, but her Fed didn't let her go because they thought she wouldn't place high enough not to embarrass them, basically. They gave her spot up to Australia.
This is not true. The IISF was very much in favor of Katz going, and it was the Israeli Olympic Committee that insisted on the standard that she was unable to achieve. The NYT article that you linked to makes this clear, with Boris Chait stating that it was a bad decision and one that he appealed against.

If you want to blame the IISF for anything, blame them for what appears to be a rather shady business with Andrea Davidovich (and as the results from this event show, Krasnopolski was better off with her than with Tankova), the handling of the Zaretskis' career, the insistence on having almost everyone work with Galit Chait, and their apparent disinterest in actually developing the sport in Israel - until one of the kids from the Eilat rink pans out, the only active skaters who have skated for any significant time in Israel are Krasnopolski and Artem Tsoglin (junior level).

Samohin is indeed awesome :)

Rissa

Record Breaker
Here to congratulate Daniel Samohin on his win, he's my favorite junior this season. He seemed much slower during here than at JGP Colorado Springs but the results jumps-wise were much better. Looks like he'll make it to the JGPF!

That, and I didn't know Shoma Uno could mess up THAT badly.

Also: Kanako Murakami! Awesome SP, I wish she were better at jumping because she's a blast to watch.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Well, I received an email confirming my IN refund. I didn't even have it 24 hours before cancelling! Lol

So glad that Shoma did better in the FS. Still, a little bit worried by how exhausted he looked (adrenaline crash from nerves, physical tiredness or something else?). I hope he can gain some confidence and do better at JO.

Congrats to Daniel, Keiji and Ross!

Really disappointed not to see Satoko. :-(

Layback11

Record Breaker
Angela's PCS were well deserved. She commands the ice. I thought Chen and Miyahara were both somewhat robotic. It's one of those ineffable qualities that doesn't show up on video.

The funnest part of pairs was a boy and his little sister (about 4-years-old) up on the concourse, who decided they would be pairs skaters during the ice make. He was spinning her around and throwing her and finally got her way up in the air in a lift. When they got a big cheer, the little sister ran and hid behind the soft drink machine.

Line of the week so far: "He could skate better if he could see" (Tanaka's short program).

Oh my goodness, you have no idea how much I wish I had seen that! :laugh2: #FutureShibs

Also, who said Tanaka could skate better if he could see? Does he wear glasses/contacts but didn't have them on? That would seem the most likely...:scratch:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Oh my goodness, you have no idea how much I wish I had seen that! :laugh2: #FutureShibs

Also, who said Tanaka could skate better if he could see? Does he wear glasses/contacts but didn't have them on? That would seem the most likely...:scratch:
Hair!

Layback11

Record Breaker
It is hardly that long or thick! Keiji with Shoma

Leave the boy alone! ;)

I really have no idea how Shoma is so mini.

He looks about 12...it's actually quite endearing. :laugh:

EDIT: looked it up. He is-from different sources-either 5' 2 1/2" or 5' 3", which is actually taller than I expected. But still tiny for a 17-year-old boy, obviously. Maybe Keiji is just really tall, and that gives the illusion of Shoma being smaller than he is? Eh, whatever, it doesn't hurt his skating, so I don't care. ;)

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I really have no idea how Shoma is so mini.

He looks about 12...it's actually quite endearing. :laugh:

EDIT: looked it up. He is-from different sources-either 5' 2 1/2" or 5' 3", which is actually taller than I expected. But still tiny for a 17-year-old boy, obviously. Maybe Keiji is just really tall, and that gives the illusion of Shoma being smaller than he is? Eh, whatever, it doesn't hurt his skating, so I don't care. ;)

Keiji is 1.73m, I believe, and jointly with Ryuju Hino is the tallest of the Senior men in Team Japan currently competing, I just read. And Shoma is the shortest.