2015 World Team Trophy Mens SP Apr 16 | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2015 World Team Trophy Mens SP Apr 16

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haven't had a chance and probably won't get a chance to watch anytime soon but when looking at the protocls one thing is bugging me. Max Aaron getting a level 2 StSeq with -GOE. Umm...what happened there?

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Haven't had a chance and probably won't get a chance to watch anytime soon but when looking at the protocls one thing is bugging me. Max Aaron getting a level 2 StSeq with -GOE. Umm...what happened there?

we dont know , broadcasting stopped right before his skate :slink:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched the videos of Yuzuru's SP and Jason's SP! LOVED them.

OH! And I noticed that in between when Yuzuru finished his SP and when they announced his score, "Happily" by One Direction was being played! Sorry HAD to mention it since I'm a directioner as well! :biggrin:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Sorry, haven´t seem all programs. Whta happened to Maxin Kovtun?

He had some troubles, had a rough landing, stepping out of the quad Idk if they were so harsh on GOEs because it wasn't out of steps and had the step out? I'm not familiar with this different layout, wasn't he still supposed to make the combo w/ the quad? And he fell on his 3A :(

Um, anyone have videos? :slink:

Sabinfire has once again helped us a lot by uploading them right away :)

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
He had some troubles, had a rough landing, stepping out of the quad Idk if they were so harsh on GOEs because it wasn't out of steps and had the step out? I'm not familiar with this different layout, wasn't he still supposed to make the combo w/ the quad? And he fell on his 3A :(

Thank you for the answer.

Poor guy.

Not a good year for a lot of skater, hope everyone has a better year next season...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thank you for the answer.

Poor guy.

Not a good year for a lot of skater, hope everyone has a better year next season...

I know Kovtun is the skater people seem to love to jeer at, but I think you had to be pretty heartless to wish for what has been a terrible second half to his season. Seems in odd years he tends to start well then totally mess up as the season went on (see 2013 when he won all his JGP/JGPF events, then totally melted down at Worlds leading to just one spot for Russia).

So he's due for a better one in 2015-2016? He really needs to bring back a flip or loop....his FS layout is really lacking without it, especially when the quads aren't there.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hanyu was mesmerizing, starting with his quad, which he tossed off so easily. He floated from that right into a huge 3a and into some of his low spins, all so incredibly synchronized with the music. On to the combo, then he fell on the second jump, got up and went right on with his intricate footwork. He is just so completely connected with his music!

Kovtun is just the opposite. He could be skating to the drone of a dental drill and it would be appropriate to what he does. He stepped out of a 4s (which was supposed to be in combination) and just abandoned his program completely---instead of doing 4t, he did 3z+3t and then fell on an underrotated 3a. He barely beat Amodio, who'd landed a 4s then did only a 2a.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max Aaron and Jason comments after the SP:

Max Aaron (76.08 points, 7th place)

It is a fun honor to be representing Team USA at the team event. I was looking forward to putting out these two new programs. I knew it was going to be tough but I was up to the challenge and I want to keep on improving, especially in my components.

The program was pretty good in general. I made a couple mistakes but I feel like I’m going to be set up well for next season and I’m looking forward to helping Team USA try to win this gold.

Jason Brown (SB 86.48 points, 3rd place)

(on short program) I couldn’t ask for a better way to end the short program this year. It’s so exciting and I’m privileged that I have my teammates here cheering me on. I’m excited to contribute to the team.

(on first World Team Trophy) I definitely had some jumpy nerves when I took the ice. I need to control those for the free. I got really excited and I can’t wait for the free tomorrow.

http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/uncategorized/2015-world-team-trophy-wtt15/

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
Kovtun is just the opposite. He could be skating to the drone of a dental drill and it would be appropriate to what he does. He stepped out of a 4s (which was supposed to be in combination) and just abandoned his program completely---instead of doing 4t, he did 3z+3t and then fell on an underrotated 3a.

Kovtun's PPC didn't include the 2nd quad, it was supposed to be 4s-3t, 3lz, 3a. At least he managed to tack on the 3t to get a combo in.

I don't love him as a skater, but I don't get the virulent hate he's given - his head is obviously all over the place, but I think a lot of that has come from the way the federation has treated him - put on the senior scene halfway through a junior season and tasked with saving Russian Men after Voronov & Gachinski lost 3 spots at Worlds in 2012, then roundly criticized for not doing it in his 2nd ever senior event, then national champion but still having to try to win an Olympic spot again because the federation would happily let Plushenko waltz back in even though it was obvious he struggled to make it through 1 competition because of his injury, let alone 2 in a week, and then seeing Plushenko not be able to compete in singles in the Olympics, and so the spot that could have been his went to waste. He's a teenager, he needs so consistancy, not to be told that one day he's the best thing ever, and the next that he's nothing & a disgrace. Otherwise they'll just end up with another Gachinski, a skater that had potential but couldn't live up to it due to the pressure.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:points: for uhh :clap:

It's way easier to criticize a skater and be dismissive than to be understanding and fair. I'm not the biggest Kovtun fan but I like him a little more each time largely based on how broad of strokes people use to paint his picture.

Last edited: