2016-17 State of Russian Men's skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Men's skating

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I can't find that interview sorry, maybe it was Voronov.

Sergei left Eteri because she was focused on other skaters & he felt he needed more attention. As for Adian, to my knowledge he has not done any official interviews since he left Eteri.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I don't think they planned to add multiple quads, it was just 4S, but they have run into some sort of mental wall with it which they haven't yet been able to overcome. I think that's the reason they decided to at least try something else because banging your head against the wall is not exactly productive or rewarding. According to the interview, Mikhail's only real fear was not underrotating the quad lutz, not falling, but popping it, which says a lot about his state of mind after the unsuccessful 4S attempts. I am not sure which they plan to keep trying, which is what they need to make their minds about.

Honestly at first i thought that quad lutz was a planned fall, landing the rest of the jumps.

It's not the type of jump you can master in two weeks, that said his best jumps (as himself admitted) is the lutz so he should keep trying it.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Honestly at first i thought that quad lutz was a planned fall, landing the rest of the jumps.

It's not the type of jump you can master in two weeks, that said his best jumps (as himself admitted) is the lutz so he should keep trying it.
Not sure if the fall was planned, but it certainly wasn't unexpected. What I don't like is that it seems to screw up his 4T as well, which is probably why before this they had put 4T first and 4S second. To be honest, right now I'd rather he got back to the 4S as he has shown he can both rotate and land it and he's had years of practice, but if it just doesn't work, I suppose... Maybe he needs to put it aside for now. It's a tricky situation as Mikhail says because while a clean skate with one quad will most likely get the highest score at the Nationals at this point (even an otherwise clean FS with 4S popped to a double like at the Panin Memorial will get him comfortably on the podium), it probably won't impress the right people and the latter is at least as important.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plush cursed it so he would still be THE king for years and years after his retirement (could actually work well for him getting on the Olympic team - again!) :)

He finished the competitive career.He will be a coach, in his own skating school and ice rink- according to his latest intervew

This is the first state : "The most titled skater of the modern history, winner of 4 Olympic medals - Evgeni Plushenko due to the numerous requests for the first time will hold a one-month course of educational master-classes for beginners, professionals as well as for those who want to learn quickly how to skate well on ice! Classes are held in groups and individually during the period from the 15th of January till the 10th of February 2017. Number of participants is limited! Information and registration by phone + 7 926 578 67 40 or e-mail [email protected]
Classes are held on the individually booked ice rink in the entertainment complex. At the end the participant will get the certificate of completing sports training course."

Sam L

Medalist
I just discovered Roman Savosin. Something about his skating combines manliness and artistry in a beautiful way. I love that he has illusion spins in both his programs. Once he becomes more comfortable with the big jumps he's attempting, he'll improve his performance between the jumps.

Lana05

Final Flight
I just discovered Roman Savosin. Something about his skating combines manliness and artistry in a beautiful way. I love that he has illusion spins in both his programs. Once he becomes more comfortable with the big jumps he's attempting, he'll improve his performance between the jumps.

I am his biggest fan since his victory at JGP in France) He was planning 4S. I think he could even win with 3 quads

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Lovely moments in the victory ceremony

Russian Nationals is going to be very interesting since juniors are now more consistent than seniors: great GP season debut for Savosin and Skirda.

I would like to see Dima on the podium (and then maybe sent to Europeans and Junior Worlds) with Kolyada and Voronov (sorry Max).

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Dima is one of my favorite skaters, but consistent he is not. He's still a bit fragile psychologically, though I hope his win will boost his confidence. I definitely don't think he is ready for Europeans with his lack of senior experience, but next season will be another story.

Roman is more consistent, but he gets UR calls on his quads which he will need to fix in order to be a real threat. I think he needs to polish his skating a lot more in general. Most likely, he will stay junior next season along with Erokhov & the younger guys, and Aliev and Samarin will go senior.

whatif

Medalist
They should definitely start sending Aliev to seniors now. Given how emotional he is, he needs some heavy experience competing at high level. I really hope they send him to Euros this year.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Russian Junior Nationals are the week after Euros. I don't see it happening. While I don't care that much for Max, he usually does well at Nats and he is a 2-time Euros medalist, so he would really have to melt down...and I definitely don't want a spot taken away from Sergei or Mikhail, even if I'm not a big fan of the latter. Let Dima prove his victory wasn't a fluke at Nationals, Junior Nats and at Junior Worlds, and next season I will be glad to see him get all the big assignments.

Last edited:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Russian Junior Nationals are the week after Euros. I don't see it happening. While I don't care that much for Max, he usually does well at Nats and he is a 2-time Euros medalist, so he would really have to melt down...and I definitely don't want a spot taken away from Sergei or Mikhail, even if I'm not a big fan of the latter. Let Dima prove his victory wasn't a fluke at Junior Nats and at Junior Worlds, and next season I will be glad to see him get all the big assignments.
But who knows, bad days happen with everyone. May be Dima will be third at Senior Nationals? Then he will have all chances to compete at Euro.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
But who knows, bad days happen with everyone. May be Dima will be third at Senior Nationals? Then he will have all chances to compete at Euro.

I'll believe it when I see it. :laugh: I guess I don't want to see him put under pressure the way Max and Mikhail have been, because he doesn't seem psychologically ready for it. I would rather see him develop a little more slowly than be thrown into the fire right away.

And in fact, Samarin could be third...he is older & has become more consistent lately. Do I like his skating, no, but he and Dima are pretty evenly matched as far as the scores they get.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'll believe it when I see it. :laugh: I guess I don't want to see him put under pressure the way Max and Mikhail have been, because he doesn't seem psychologically ready for it. I would rather see him develop a little more slowly than be thrown into the fire right away.

And in fact, Samarin could be third...he is older & has become more consistent lately. Do I like his skating, no, but he and Dima are pretty evenly matched as far as the scores they get.

Dima said that he changed the entire training approach and it seems to pay off. I do agree about the slow development part: Maxim Kovtun was thrown at Euro and Worlds after the gold at 2012 JGPF and then he didn't performed well a those seniors events, he also probably needed more time to focus on the skating skills. (i feel the same for Samarin now)

At the same time i think Dima has a huge talent, but he needs to increase the PB to compete seriously at GP next year: i hope also Rukavicin won't start in the off-season to add so many quads cause he doesn't need it really.

Maybe instead of the Europeans some Seniors B competitions before Junior Worlds?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
They should definitely start sending Aliev to seniors now. Given how emotional he is, he needs some heavy experience competing at high level. I really hope they send him to Euros this year.

He went to a senior B this season, the Warsaw Cup, where he finished second to Majorov with a score of 217.06. Aliev also went to Tallinn Trophy last season, where he finished second to Aaron with a score of 226.72.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Russians!!!! I need an answer once and for all................Who is the king of Men's Skating in your great Country? Is it Yags, or Plushy???? I'm holding my breath waiting for an answer.