2016 Golden Spin of Zagreb Ladies SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2016 Golden Spin of Zagreb Ladies SP

Nathan13

Medalist
*flicks through thread*

Gee, I guess there were no skaters at all after Gracie skated until Carolina did? I didn't realise half the field withdrew. What a terrible shame.

Oh wait! It seems they did skate, but all people wanted to do was yammer on about Gracie and Carolina. I guess it's obvious that they are the only reason anyone would want to pay attention to this competition. :rolleye:
Well, considering that they both have large fan bases, that does make sense that they would be the most discussed in this forum, considering that the GPF is also going on at this time and most people aren't even watching :think: It seems to follow the laws of probability, considering that both are Olympic medalists.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You're right. I was only interested in Tuk, Glenn, Kostner, Gold and Chen. I didn't pay close attention to the others. If you were interested, you could have watched it yourself!

Could I have? When I went to bed, my information was that the stream was paid - and the price was more than I was willing to pay. As well, the ladies SP started at 5am - on a work day.

When I do PBP, which is when I can, I try to make sure I get everyone. Not for me. But for the fans of the other skaters, that I might not even be a fan of, who for whatever reason cannot watch and may be looking back through the thread later. I view this as a common courtesy.

humbaba

Final Flight
Looks like it was a good day for the veterans in Zagreb. Leonova is in third. You go girl!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I'm amazed Carolina can still do 3x3 at this age. They should give bonus GOE for longevity. That means she's doing something right all along. Incorrect technique will not last a lifetime like this. It's like real gold vs. fake gold.

andromache

Record Breaker
Could I have? When I went to bed, my information was that the stream was paid - and the price was more than I was willing to pay. As well, the ladies SP started at 5am - on a work day.

When I do PBP, which is when I can, I try to make sure I get everyone. Not for me. But for the fans of the other skaters, that I might not even be a fan of, who for whatever reason cannot watch and may be looking back through the thread later. I view this as a common courtesy.

Sorry, wasn't aware we are obligated to do PBP for comps/skaters we don't want to watch and thereby miss the competition we do want to watch.

It's one thing if you're watching an entire comp and doing PBP anyway - leaving out a skater is just silly. But I doubt anyone watched the entire thing, in this case.

And LOL you're talking about common courtesy? How about being nice instead of rude and confrontational? Isn't that a common courtesy?

franco1991

Rinkside
100% agree. Even with the bad streaming quality of this event you can see just how special she is. She truly becomes one with the ice!
I'm amazed Carolina can still do 3x3 at this age. They should give bonus GOE for longevity. That means she's doing something right all along. Incorrect technique will not last a lifetime like this. It's like real gold vs. fake gold.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Are protocols working for anyone? Overall scores doesn't tell me much about competition...

breynows

On the Ice
Ok just some thoughts about this event:

Liza Tuktamysheva:
I really don't understand why would she go back to that program. She was never consistent with it, and she was doing well with her actual one. Hope she can deliver on the free.
PS.: Those dresses are some super urban contemporary dress. Love it. :devil:

Gracie:
From what i heard she had a disastrous sp, but hey, at least she landed that flip. She seriously needs to fight those nerves, she's still US's wonder baby. With all due respect she should've left Frank seasons ago, he's not being a good coach for her.

CaroK:
I thought she was kind of slow but i think it was my stream. She's still amazing to watch after all these years. I was expecting a much lesser performance from her, her jumps looks good and she as some time to polish some of those spins. The choreography is really modern and quite unusual for her, but Caro is Caro and everything she does looks amazing.

Amber:
Congratulations for her. She may be a wild card for the US nationals team, really great skate from her.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Carolina: I miss her 1m5 legs on the ice but that SP is too avant-garde for me

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Work day for me, too. Watched as much as I could on lunch break. Was just commenting, not doing PBP. Not paid enough for that! :)

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Just catching up on the SP now. I was looking forward to Carolina's return. The performance was not my cup of tea, it's very different or modern or something, maybe it will take a few more views. Regardless it's good to see her back. A score of nearly 70 is a bit generous for a 3T3T and a messy 3loop. Has she committed to going to Euros and Worlds?

Not sure I have ever seen Amber Glenn skate before but I really liked her performance, she could have a shot of making a 4CC or worlds team. Liza T is really struggling this season with consistency, I thought she had turned a corner in her second GP but she messed up on the lutz. Kinda surprised to see that the she is the 3rd ranked Russian so far. I was never a big fan of Gracie, I always found her overmarked and felt last year in Boston the judges were going out of there way for her to medal but what is happening now is not nice. She seems to have lost the will to compete, there is no fire or passion in what she is doing. I really think she needs to leave Frank and have a fresh look at her career.

I also watched Yushchenko, recently switched from Russian to Israel, she is currently down in 13th and the second Israeli. She gave a nice performance but only doubled the loop so it was an invalid element, other than that she would be 50+, she was marked harshly on PCS. I liked her when she skated for Russia but she was never going to be one of their top stars, I would like to see her have a successful international career. The two Aussie girls are neck and neck, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Okay just watched Carolina: great comeback, beautiful lines as always for her, great to see the donut variation back, she seems in good shape overall.

To be honest jugdes were a little generous here: the tech content wasn't great, she loses control in the final spin and there was an hand down on the loop, but they have always appreciated her works.

I think she made a very clever choice to move to Mishin in SPB: she is a wonderful skater, she has the favour of the judges and with a technician as Mishin she could even improve on the jumps and the stamina.

But let's see what happens in the FS.

Liza -> don't know why she switched back to the old SP, although it was better than the Mozart tango, and judges gave her better PCS here. Popped the lutz, big mistake, don't think that will be that costly, she can skate cleanly in the long program.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm quite lucid actually. Far more than than the poster who nonchalantly suggested Gracie Gold to take narcotics to fix her competition issues. I'm pretty sure Americans will be applauding her braveness after she comes out as a CDD(Competition Deficit Disorder) sufferer after testing positive for Amphetamines in Pyeongchang.

I'm 99.9% certain that the type of psychotropic medicine Sydney Rose was referring to is NOT an amphetamine. Likely an antidepressant or antipsychotic. There's a big difference. Maybe do some reading on all the different types of medication and the disorders that they treat before calling someone a "meth addict."

It's attitudes like yours that explain why mental health disorders are still a taboo subject in the 21st century. :rolleye:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Carolina is amazing artistically as usual but did she lost her speed or it is a video angle ?:(

She looked slower but I think shes just lacking training. She hasn't competed in over 2 years and shes almost 30 so it'll take a while for her to bounce back to her usual shape (or as close to it as possible). The first half always reminds me of seimei with the drums. :laugh:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Well she's certainly shattered/crushed/demolished the USFS's dreams by now...I hope they are taking notes and learning from this (sadly at Gracie's expense), though I doubt that they are. Ladies will always be the headliners for US Figure Skating, no matter how high of quality the dance division is. They've got to revive it somehow, and not expect one person to pull all the weight.
imho the Fed is the one to blame for Gracie's state
Just like our Fed should be punished for putting pressure on Kovtun, Misha Kolyada etc

Lizaaaa why old SP~!:sad21:

Caro is back enough said:love:

yeee Alena! I guess skipping NHK was a good desicion.

grr guys dont bring that Biles gal here brrrr:scard7::scard7:

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
Carolina is amazing! Yes the speed and scale of jumps are going to be improved with training.
I love she got back with 3t3t!

Her steps are all so creative and I don;t mind avant garde music she is skating to. It actually accentuate her lines and skating better. She does not need a melody or lyrics to skate. :) Love her costume, too!
Bravo Mishin, Nicole, and CAROLINA!!!!! YAY!!!:hap93: