2016 NHK Trophy Free Dance | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2016 NHK Trophy Free Dance

royce

Rinkside
Apparently Scott lost one of his best friends prior to NHK - must be why he seemed subdued in the Kiss 'n Cry. :(

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Apparently Scott lost one of his best friends prior to NHK - must be why he seemed subdued in the Kiss 'n Cry. :(

:-( he did seem a little subdued to me even when they did so well. I wondered at the time about it but thought maybe he was just being a perfectionist.

Nathan13

Medalist
:yes::yes: I hope the audience reaction here and love for Anna and Luca will give them the energy and confidence to move forward as they heading into GPF, Euro and Worlds! :)

Well I'm sure it will give them energy and confidence, but not for the GPF because they didn't qualify :noshake:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
as a side note...

i find it hilarious to read about "montreal mush" everywhere... yes... there's a romantic style coming out from MF and Patrice... yes... lyrical... sweeping, romance...

but for anyone been in Montreal... the city is full of vibrant energy, latin flair, and happening... it's a perfect mixture of old and new, a unique place where technology meets tradition.....

mush what?

Since I'm the person who coined the term,, I will say it refers ONLY to ubiquitous style of FD coming out of the Montreal school. The city of Montreal itself really is charming (if bloody cold in the winter, which is when I was there). The waiters were a bit attitudinal to we poor Americans, which was a terrible mistake, since two of us in my group when I visited speak fluent French. So they got what they earned, tip wise. The meal, however, was delicious.

And it wasn't mush.

;)

deedee1

Record Breaker
Hi deedee!

Anna and Luca are my sentimental favorites. No matter where they place in a competition in my eyes they are always first rate and
bring something to the ice that is really unique, love them!

Hi! All is well with you. :) Mine, too. :) along with Isabelle & Olivier, Fedelica & Massimo, Nathalie & Fabian and the Kerrs in my heart forever!

Well I'm sure it will give them energy and confidence, but not for the GPF because they didn't qualify :noshake:

oh is it so;;;; :sad4: And we don't see Kaitlyn & Andrew, Piper & Paul there, either. :dbana:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
lost battle with sleep and just re-watched...

the biggest and the greatest surprise for me is re-discovering Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc. I always respected them for technical and skating basics and being quite good performers, but they really blew me away with their interpretation of 'the classic of all classics' and the picture they created today. In my opinion they applied actually relatively simple moves/figures as for the overall choreography/transitions, but the 'tools' used really made their pure skating qualities and subtelty/sensivity of their interpretation to shine at their fullest. I love his softness and fluidity of movement and being at the same time kind of 'frame' to build the perfromance on, love her arm/hand work and head movements during whole program - they accentuated musical accents perfectly and made a very interesting impression. My favourite moments were start and ending sequence and choreographic sequences (twizzle and spread eagle ones) - all movements just flew with the music seamlessly, creating that airy atmosphere. As for iterpretation/expression and overall performance I think they succeeded to capture that feeling of intimacy and nostalgia I always associate 'Liebestraum' piece with. There was nothing over the top, loud or very effective in that program, yet it left me mesmerized and captivated over the whole aura and moment created. As for Jean-Luc - in my opinion he and Paul Poirier are two the most underestimated male partners in Ice Dance, he's got such lyrical softness in his skating and at the same time a commanding presence to support his partner and carry the perfromance. Watching them, this classical piece, minimal costumes, her blue/grey dress, his simple white shirt, this airy momentum and beautiful picture they created I got Virtue/Moir flashback from their first senior season at Tokyo Worlds (Japan too!) performing FD to 'Valse Triste' by Sibellius - as V/M made me fell in love with their skating for good from that moment (and a lot of others), Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc did he same today and hopefully this will be the new starting point for them, it will boost their careers and they will capitalize on that special moment.

Very well said. Thanks for the beautiful analysis. :agree: Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker started captivating me ever since Autumn Classics in Canada this season. I'm so glad that their skates deservedly got recognized by the judges and audience.

slider11

Medalist
Never forget: https://youtu.be/DZ4lYo53Hg0?t=1m44s

If P/C start beating them handidly things will probably sour.

https://youtu.be/e3ToThF2ibc?t=13s :slink:

FYI, I'm a messy bih who lives for drama so I low key hope this happens.

I think Gabriella's face said it all on the podium. Sure, she looked disappointed, understandably, but it seemed a little deeper than that. Guillaume seems like a perfectionist and driven so his face was a little more stoic but still clearly upset about second. I think it is the kind of drama, though, that makes ice skating interesting. No bad vibes to anyone but the thought that Tessa, Scott, Gabriella and Guillaume are kindred spirits who just want to "skate their best and who cares who comes out on top" is not the case. And who would want a top athlete with that mind-set, anyway. Interestingly, in interviews after the 2014 Olympics, Scott and Tessa questioned their decision to stay with Marina when she was coaching the top 2 teams. Now they are right back in the same place with Dubreuil and Lauzon. It will be an interesting road lead to 2018 Olys!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
oh is it so;;;; :sad4: And we don't see Kaitlyn & Andrew, Piper & Paul there, either. :dbana:

I'm weeping in my corner since Paris GP that I won't see Disco Babes in GPF, also big upset not to see WeaPo and great entertainers Anna and Luca are. If I had my say, I'd do a swap-swap all 3 mentioned for Hubbell/Donahue, Bobrova/Soloviev and Chock/Bates, smuggling Hawayek/Baker somehow in the process to magically make 7 teams out of 6 spots available.But we have what we have, GPF will be interesting as it stands.

heavy

Rinkside
I think Gabriella's face said it all on the podium. Sure, she looked disappointed, understandably, but it seemed a little deeper than that. Guillaume seems like a perfectionist and driven so his face was a little more stoic but still clearly upset about second. I think it is the kind of drama, though, that makes ice skating interesting. No bad vibes to anyone but the thought that Tessa, Scott, Gabriella and Guillaume are kindred spirits who just want to "skate their best and who cares who comes out on top" is not the case. And who would want a top athlete with that mind-set, anyway. Interestingly, in interviews after the 2014 Olympics, Scott and Tessa questioned their decision to stay with Marina when she was coaching the top 2 teams. Now they are right back in the same place with Dubreuil and Lauzon. It will be an interesting road lead to 2018 Olys!
As a viewer I have some questions. How is possible with the same coaches team have such a difference on the levels. I was disappointed if I was second in that conditions. Because the little mistakes don't explain the difference between these two.
The problem with Marina started when Meryl and Charlie won in a regular bases.
If was other way around, Tessa was happy! I don't think so.
I fully understand Gabriella mood.
I think the major problem here is Marie-France and Patrice have too much teams. It's impossible to do a great job in that conditions, the day only have 24 hours.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
holiday company has departed; I just watched straight through ...

Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc were the first couple to give me chills, and the only ones who made me cry. They are being, even going beyond embodying the bond and portraying the elusive connection of a romantic couple. Rather, they took this one step further to perfectly personify a Dream of Love, thus integrating the music, their dancing, and their portrayal of characters who are In the Dream. Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc are In the Dream; and therefore this dance is a work of art that transports everyone who watches and lets them in.

I second everything quoted below from NoNameFace. But the biggest revelation, for me, is the way they take the audience on a musical and emotional journey that exemplifies everything that ice dancing and figure skating should be. This journey is what the PC marks miss. And it's a vital part of why the sport stands above so many others. It's that elusive quality of causing audiences to feel, that takes them on an emotional journey, that really distinguishes skating.

Just as a post-script, I know how ice dance judging works, but I think it's a real shame that the judges kept them "in their place," so to speak. Yes, they advanced past S/K, which they should have. But their PC marks could have been much higher, considering what they gave all the audiences, live and video, and IMO should have surpassed C/L.

the biggest and the greatest surprise for me is re-discovering Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc. I always respected them for technical and skating basics and being quite good performers, but they really blew me away with their interpretation of 'the classic of all classics' and the picture they created today. In my opinion they applied actually relatively simple moves/figures as for the overall choreography/transitions, but the 'tools' used really made their pure skating qualities and subtelty/sensivity of their interpretation to shine at their fullest. I love his softness and fluidity of movement and being at the same time kind of 'frame' to build the perfromance on, love her arm/hand work and head movements during whole program - they accentuated musical accents perfectly and made a very interesting impression. My favourite moments were start and ending sequence and choreographic sequences (twizzle and spread eagle ones) - all movements just flew with the music seamlessly, creating that airy atmosphere. As for iterpretation/expression and overall performance I think they succeeded to capture that feeling of intimacy and nostalgia I always associate 'Liebestraum' piece with. There was nothing over the top, loud or very effective in that program, yet it left me mesmerized and captivated over the whole aura and moment created. As for Jean-Luc - in my opinion he and Paul Poirier are two the most underestimated male partners in Ice Dance, he's got such lyrical softness in his skating and at the same time a commanding presence to support his partner and carry the perfromance.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tessa is so pretty but, from a visual standpoint, I wish she skated with someone bigger and taller. Scott always seems to look a little frail in comparison. Then again, they paired up when ice dancers were more closely matched in height.

No...they paired up as little kids, and for a long time Tessa was tiny compared to Scott. But then in their late teens, Scott stopped growing, and Tessa didn't.

alain06fr

On the Ice
I think Gabriella's face said it all on the podium. Sure, she looked disappointed, understandably, but it seemed a little deeper than that. Guillaume seems like a perfectionist and driven so his face was a little more stoic but still clearly upset about second.

Well, i think your description is quite realistic...

I can probably add something to understand what happened in this competition... We clearly saw the two P/C mistakes in the FD but the FD is not the issue here as the drama (to reuse this word) played out at the end of the SD. Let me explain a bit:

When the SD results are displayed, both Gabriella and Guillaume are extremely and badly surprised (well, we all saw that!). Given their performance, none of them expected such a low technical score. It's a clear and simple fact. Once again, it’s a complete surprise, that’s the least we can say... Romain Haguenauer is so surprised that he needs to move the head down to check the small screens... as if the scores displayed on the big screen could be different but the scores are obviously identical! Romain then looks to Gabriella and Guillaume who know better than anyone else whether they made significant mistakes… or not… And Romain immediately reads on Gabriella and Guillaume’s faces their big disappointment but more over he reads and understands their total disapproval. That’s why he asks them this famous “Non…? “ to which Guillaume replies and confirms his disapproval with a clear “Non!”.

To sum up, two decisions are questionable: The level2 of the partial step sequence (impacting the base value by 1.5 point!) and the low GOES of the “Not Touching Midline Step Sequence”. On my side, I am unable to find obvious mistakes motivating both decisions but I am not judge! The more annoying thing is the bad and huge surprise and moreover complete disapproval of both Gabriella and Guillaume. Given the performance, mistakes leading to a loss of roughly 4 points (!) should be undisputed and justified and it sounds like this is not clearly the case…

heavy

Rinkside
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNR6vt0ADaS/

Well, i think your description is quite realistic...

I can probably add something to understand what happened in this competition... We clearly saw the two P/C mistakes in the FD but the FD is not the issue here as the drama (to reuse this word) played out at the end of the SD. Let me explain a bit:

When the SD results are displayed, both Gabriella and Guillaume are extremely and badly surprised (well, we all saw that!). Given their performance, none of them expected such a low technical score. It's a clear and simple fact. Once again, it’s a complete surprise, that’s the least we can say... Romain Haguenauer is so surprised that he needs to move the head down to check the small screens... as if the scores displayed on the big screen could be different but the scores are obviously identical! Romain then looks to Gabriella and Guillaume who know better than anyone else whether they made significant mistakes… or not… And Romain immediately reads on Gabriella and Guillaume’s faces their big disappointment but more over he reads and understands their total disapproval. That’s why he asks them this famous “Non…? “ to which Guillaume replies and confirms his disapproval with a clear “Non!”.

To sum up, two decisions are questionable: The level2 of the partial step sequence (impacting the base value by 1.5 point!) and the low GOES of the “Not Touching Midline Step Sequence”. On my side, I am unable to find obvious mistakes motivating both decisions but I am not judge! The more annoying thing is the bad and huge surprise and moreover complete disapproval of both Gabriella and Guillaume. Given the performance, mistakes leading to a loss of roughly 4 points (!) should be undisputed and justified and it sounds like this is not clearly the case…

elif

Medalist
Scott Moir almost stops in stationary lift, in last rotation, just before putting down Tessa. I know it is not accaptable in rotational lifts, suprised to see judges let it go both GOE and reducing level for stationary lifts. That exit should effect GOE.

Last edited:

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I just watched the whole ice dance event and I have to share my thoughts.

I admit that today Tessa and Scott deserved to win. Gabriella and Guillame weren't perfect but I love their movements, the way they skate and I think their free dance is just beautiful and will be more without mistakes. I loved Tessa and Scott until the spin in the middle of the program. I don't know why and I don't understand ice dance technique or levels really well but from my point of view, the program (choreography) was not really interesting for me after the spin. Just my feeling. Maybe Gabby and Guillame lost some levels (again, I don't understand the levels in ice dance, so I can't judge it), but their FD, and also SD is more interesting for me.

KMK0902

On the Ice
C/P got beaten by a better team plain and simple, they made mistakes and the scores reflected that. They were finally penalized for mistakes they have not been penalized for in the past 2 years...points should have been deducted numerous times over the past couple of years, but have not.
They are good skaters, but they have to show that they can skate more than one type of program...just like C/L they have the same type of program every single year...

Last edited:

alain06fr

On the Ice

The question is once again quite simple: Where are the big mistakes in the partial step sequence justifying a level2 instead of a level3? Downgrading the partial step sequence to level2 must be in connection to clear mistakes. Such downgrade significantly affects the base value of the element and obviously the TES. Furthermore, the issue is not only related to the partial seq, the GOE of the midline sequence (which has BTW nothing to do with a level problem) is questionnable. Gabriella and Guillaume are quite shy and they never complain about scores hence the surprise and disapproval we could read on their faces while looking to the results tells a lot, at least to me. At least my personal feeling is that V/M SD was the best, Now TES wised, I am not able to see 4 points difference between V/M and P/C SDs. My personal opinion is that a difference of max 1 point is probably more inline with the delivered performances.

Last edited:

keasus

On the Ice
C/P got beaten by a better team plain and simple, they made mistakes and the scores reflected that. They were finally penalized for mistakes they have not been penalized for in the past 2 years...points should have been deducted numerous times over the past couple of years, but have not.
They are good skaters, but they have to show that they can skate more than one type of program...just like C/L they have the same type of program every single year...

You make a good point, KMK0902. P/C are fine skaters, to be sure, by they have largely evaded deducutions and point losses for misteps that other couples are penalized for, even in the same competitions with same judging panels. I have no problem with the deductions as long as they are fairly (a tall order, I know) applied to ALL teams.

alain06fr

On the Ice

Fantastic! Sounds so obvious so please tell us where are the mistakes on the video. Don't forget to tell us the minutes & seconds so it's so easier to track them.

alain06fr

On the Ice
You make a good point, KMK0902. P/C are fine skaters, to be sure, by they have largely evaded deducutions and point losses for misteps that other couples are penalized for, even in the same competitions with same judging panels. I have no problem with the deductions as long as they are fairly (a tall order, I know) applied to ALL teams.

Great! A second expert! Same as for you colleague, please tell us where are the mistakes on the video. Don't forget to tell us the minutes & seconds so it's so easier to track them.