2016 Rio: General Olympic chat | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: General Olympic chat

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think the forum lacks a thread to just talk & cheer during events, especially since we can't really have a invidual thread for every single sport.

After Day 2 the medal table is:

Australia2013
Hungary
United States1405
Republic of Korea1102
Japan1045
Argentina
Belgium1001
Russian Federation1001
Thailand1001
Vietnam1001
China
Italy0112
Kazakhstan0112
Brazil0101
Denmark0101
Indonesia0101
Canada0011
Spain0011
Poland0011
Uzbekistan

My favourite medal so far is Bronze from Rafał Majka (medal in cycling is huge for us Poles) and finally a GOLD in swimming for Katinka Hosszu! I love that lady :love:

My biggest dissapointment is Agnieszka Radwańska loosing once again in her first tennis match... I don't know what's with her at Olympics.

For DAY 3 I'm excited for Diving! Hallelujah they will show some in TV in my country :hap10: And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Rowers!

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
I'm so sad for the cycling race.... Nibali was clearly the favourite and he was doing great before the fall :sad4:He'll be back to Italy because he got two fractures, so he won't compete in the time trial....

But the most heartbreaking moment was what happened to Samir Ait Said..... Bon courage! :(

Today start diving and men's volleyball!! :cheer:

I don't know how I'll survive till the end of Olympics... I stayed awake till 5 a.m. to watch the Opening Ceremony.. Then I woke up at 7.30 a.m.!! :shocked: Then I watched till 11 p.m., slept till 3 a.m., watched the swimming finals, back to bed till 10 a.m........ I'm already exhausted!! :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*proud grin*

Well, it won't last, but I'll enjoy it while we can! And our first archery medal since Athens.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm so sad for the cycling race.... Nibali was clearly the favourite and he was doing great before the fall :sad4:He'll be back to Italy because he got two fractures, so he won't compete in the time trial....

Richie Porte also crashed and it sounds like he hurts too badly for the time trial :sad4:

alebi

Medalist
*proud grin*

Well, it won't last, but I'll enjoy it while we can! And our first archery medal since Athens.

Today Italy vs Australia (and Canada) in 3m sincro :) China is clearly the favourite, then we have three teams for two medals. If there's a justice in this world, Tania Cagnotto has to win this cursed medal. So she can retire with no regrets. Canadian and Australian are still young. I'll cross every finger I have :laugh:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

But the most heartbreaking moment was what happened to Samir Ait Said..... Bon courage! :(

I don't know how I'll survive till the end of Olympics... I stayed awake till 5 a.m. to watch the Opening Ceremony.. Then I woke up at 7.30 a.m.!! :shocked: Then I watched till 11 p.m., slept till 3 a.m., watched the swimming finals, back to bed till 10 a.m........ I'm already exhausted!! :laugh:

Wow, I'm not so dedicated to watch at night! (I really like sleeping) The crash at cycling yesterday was really terrible. Hope all the cyclists recovery will go well.
I forgot Handball starts today also! It may be not nice, but I hope that Qatar won't win any medal in this sport, since in their national team there are hardly any real Qataris. I know other teams has some naturalised players, but there is not any other country who has the whole team. Go Poland! :cheer:

II'll be cheering for Italy in volleyball, alebi! Other than Poland of course. But today we're against Egypt, so I'm not worried :)

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
Wow, I'm not so dedicated to watch at night! (I really like sleeping) The crash at cycling yesterday was really terrible. Hope all the cyclists recovery will go well.
I forgot Hanball starts today also! It may be not nice, but I hope that Qatar won't win any medal in this sport, since in their national team there are hardly any real Qataris. I know other teams has some naturalised players, but there is not any other country who has the whole team. Go Poland! :cheer:

II'll be cheering for Italy in volleyball, alebi! Other than Poland of course. But today we're against Egypt, so I'm not worried :)

Thank you but it'll be hard, very hard. Italy lacks organization and has weak MBs both in blocking than attack, so not real alternatives to OH/OPP. While France has amazing defense and organization, plus that unpredictable amazing guy (no need to name him) :rolleye:

I don't follow handball but I knew that Qatar has bought players from best teams, especially France... :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After Day 2 the medal table is:

1Australia2013
2Hungary2002
3United States1405
4Republic of Korea1102
5Japan1045
6Argentina1001
6Belgium1001
6Russian Federation1001
6Thailand1001
6Vietnam1001
11China0235
12Italy0112
12Kazakhstan0112
14Brazil0101
14Denmark0101
14Indonesia0101
17Canada0011
17Spain0011
17Poland0011
17Uzbekistan0011

Gaaah!!!!! :gaah:

I'm sorry, but I'm one of those strange people that goes by total medals rather than being fixated by gold medals!

It's probably because I'm from a small country that hasn't won too many gold medals (here is a picture I made after Sochi listing all gold medals won by people from Northern Ireland). So, we're happy with anything we can get! :biggrin:

So, for the others like me, here is the same table ordered by total medals:

Rank NOCGoldSilverBronzeTotal
United States (USA)1405
2Japan (JPN)1045
3China (CHN)0235
4Australia (AUS)2013
5Hungary (HUN)2002
6South Korea (KOR)1102
7Italy (ITA)0112
7Kazakhstan (KAZ)0112
9Argentina (ARG)1001
9Belgium (BEL)1001
9Russia (RUS)1001
9Thailand (THA)1001
9Vietnam (VIE)1001
14Brazil (BRA)*0101
14Denmark (DEN)0101
14Indonesia (INA)0101
17Canada (CAN)0011
17Poland (POL)0011
17Spain (ESP)0011
17Uzbekistan (UZB)0011
Total (20 NOCs)12121438

But, it's too early yet to be reading anything into any order. I'm sure the order will change vastly day to day.

CaroLiza_fan

thoakun

Final Flight

Olympics is such a life ruiner for me. There're many sports I don't care about normally, but it's Olympics and I can't force myself to go to sleep. Luckily, my city is 12 hours ahead of Rio so it's not as disrupting as watching a competition in Europe.

thoakun

Final Flight

I'm sorry, but I'm one of those strange people that goes by total medals rather than being fixated by gold medals!

It's probably because I'm from a small country that hasn't won too many gold medals

But, it's too early yet to be reading anything into any order. I'm sure the order will change vastly day to day.

CaroLiza_fan

Only people from small country can understand that. You're right that it's too early to read into the medal table. Vietnam has got the first OGM in its history but that's probably the only gold we can get. We'll probably drop to 70 at the end of the Olympics.

alebi

Medalist
Only people from small country can understand that. You're right that it's too early to read into the medal table. Vietnam has got the first OGM in its history but that's probably the only gold we can get. We'll probably drop to 70 at the end of the Olympics.

Congrats Vietnam!! Your gold medal has been really thrilling! At the end I thought the Brazilian one was going to win because the Vietnamese took so long before shooting.:clapper:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Ah, CaroLiza_fan, you use that fake table the Americans came up with to make themselves feel superior? :no:

I am sorry about your male gymnast, though. Our commentators were saying he has had knee injuries before.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

It's probably because I'm from a small country that hasn't won too many gold medals (here is a picture I made after Sochi listing all gold medals won by people from Northern Ireland). So, we're happy with anything we can get! :biggrin:

Nothing to be sorry about! I also think it's harder to get 3 bronze medals than one gold, which official medal table does not reflect. I'm not from that big country either :p Feel free to post a table by number of medals ;) I will post a table after every day, hope you will too for easy comparison :) I'd love to see Poland break the magic ten medals per Olympic curse. The last 3 Olympics there were 10, time for change! And I don't care that much about colour. I'm angry when athletes cry or get mad (or when their respective country medias do that) when they're second like it's discomfiture, when in fact it's great accomplishment and many others would love being in their place, but will never be.

Last edited:

thoakun

Final Flight
Congrats Vietnam!! Your gold medal has been really thrilling! At the end I thought the Brazilian one was going to win because the Vietnamese took so long before shooting.:clapper:

Thank you. He placed 4th at the last Olympics due to pressure. This time, he seemed really determine, focussed and didn't give interview to any of the Vietnamese journalists before the competition.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm always happy to see small countries win for the very first time! That's what Olympics is about for me. No matter where you come from, you can do that!

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed watching the women's rugby sevens yesterday. I've never watched that format before and it was really exciting. Anyone else watching that?

dreamsk8

On the Ice
I just wish the NBC coverage was less fluff and more straight competition! I just want to see the sports and not hear all the sappy side stories :gaah:
I wonder if coverage in other countries is better :scratch3:

alebi

Medalist
I just wish the NBC coverage was less fluff and more straight competition! I just want to see the sports and not hear all the sappy side stories :gaah:
I wonder if coverage in other countries is better :scratch3:

RAI is doing a pretty good job this time. We have 3 TV channels that show only live events, plus all the other IOC channels in streaming on the TV site. And they do chitchats or fluff moments only before the beginning of the live coverage.

thoakun

Final Flight
I'm always happy to see small countries win for the very first time! That's what Olympics is about for me. No matter where you come from, you can do that!

ITA, although it's quite an uphill climb. Following several sports at the elite level has opened my eyes to the struggle of more countries in putting their names on the global map. You can't do it alone, you can't reach higher levels without a hefty investment and generally more money on a particular athlete, particular discipline or a particular sport means others will get less.

dreamsk8

On the Ice
RAI is doing a pretty good job this time. We have 3 TV channels that show only live events, plus all the other IOC channels in streaming on the TV site. And they do chitchats or fluff moments only before the beginning of the live coverage.

I would love that coverage!! :hap85: