2016 US Intl FS Classic Mens FP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2016 US Intl FS Classic Mens FP

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
It's well-established that Adam is delusional when it comes to the 4Lz. He gives the same old story and same old explanation and same old goal year after year. He could've been rather consistency doing two 4T at his point if he had not (and would stop) wasting his energy on this jump that is never going to happen. It's not going to happen.

Glad to see many of the judges were more correct at about Adam's components also. Takahito's components too low again.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'll be interested to see whether, now that Adam's last two outings have produced a landed, underrotated 4Lz and a landed, underrotated 4Lutz with step-out, he might have earned the right not to be labeled with "planned downgraded falls." Just sayin'. I don't know, though, maybe around here it isn't enough. But I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt. :)

Nope, because the UR calls were a generous tech panel. Whoop-de-doo, he stood up. Still nowhere near rotating the thing. Jason's closer than he is.

He did. For example, he did two positive goe 3Axels in his Jr Worlds FS in 2013, and he won the FS & got the Jr FS world record score for that programme. That score lasted until Shoma Uno broke it 2 seasons later.

I thought 2013 was the year that Joshua, Jason and Shotaro swept the podium. I thought it was Joshua won the free at that event.

Joshua won the SP, Jason won the FS, but Joshua won overall by 4 points. Jason had a biffed combo in the SP where he had turns between the jumps, and Josh fell on the 4T in the FS. Otherwise, that was one of the great skating battles, because both were just starting to come into their power as performers, and it was genuinely a "who wins? IDK!" match-up.

Haha, I remember there was no livestream, but I was so nervous I got up at 2am to watch the live scoring update. Nearly fell off my chair when their scores came up

Anyway, can someone help me out? Brendan's last spin didn't count. I'm not the world's greatest at counting rotations but for the life of me I can't figure out why it didn't count.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Anyway, can someone help me out? Brendan's last spin didn't count. I'm not the world's greatest at counting rotations but for the life of me I can't figure out why it didn't count.

I am wondering if he had both feet on the ice too long during the change of foot. It did kinda look like he was spinning on two feet for awhile - I don't know how long you are allowed to take to make the change, but I am pretty sure it is spelled out somewhere. Could that be it? Another guess is it is the same as what happened to Polina at Skate Canada and the were being really strict about his engine not being low enough or low enough soon enough. She got a lovely spin zeroed as well that I recall mostly came down to her thigh not being parallel enough to the ice.

Is CCoSp too similar the CCSp2 that he did? Maybe this spin was called as a box he had already checked so to speak?

Please note I am NOT trying to pick on him... I just want to know as much as you do as it is odd. I wish they would be more forthcoming with this type of thing, what is wrong with the fans knowing what happened and... you know maybe understanding the system better?

In case you have not noticed... if you click the little setting wheel in the lower right corner you can change the speed to be in slow motion, if you want to squint at it that way.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Having watched the videos of the medalists and the Canadians at this competition, my impressions re programs and skating:

I like Jason's LP much more than I did the at his first event. He skated with more flow and ease throughout so the program too flowed better. Very well done. Deserving highest PCS IMO.

Adam, OTOH, spent seemingly half the time pushing his blades to build up speed for his jumps. He was mostly vertical, no deep carving edges. Not much else going on even with the occasional artistic gesturing. I don't understand his PCS with this performance.

Mura did a lot in this program, including all the big jumps. What was lacking was a distinct flair, a personal brand to set him apart. Still, I don't understand why his PCS is so much lower than Adam's.

I hope Nam gets used to his body soon. He seemed to not have gotten acquainted with it enough. Maybe he has reached his adult height now, or almost there with no more growth spurts, but it still has to fill out to the adult shape. Hopefully then he will have the stability as well as the power to reach his potential. I'd give him a little time to settle and shine.

I like Eladj's program and how he skated very much. Too bad he completely ran out of steam towards the end. I wish him a steadily improving season sustained to a late season peak.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i'd tend to agree pretty much with what Violet Bliss said.

For me, the most beautiful performance was from Jason.
However, if the judges are going to reward Adam, (sorry dude, I liked your programs last year, but it's not doing it for me this year) for PCS when eh does almost nothing but moving his arms in uncharacteristic manner, then reward Mura. I know Rach 2 intimately well and I was for once, not offended by a skater doing it.... what I like in MUra's skate was the power yet the flexibility. Some of his arm movements/upper body movements were very well timed and felt with the music. I was surprised to see how well he skated, having seen the score first.

Adam, well, the season is early. I guess the programs will get better.

Nam : i think he is on the right path. The 3A were done fine... the 4S was so close!!!!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They haven't yet.

I like to imagine that Ice Network is really just a little closet somewhere with like forty oscillating fans in it blowing cool air all over some relic server that still finds a way to always have smoke billowing out of it. :palmf:

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nope, because the UR calls were a generous tech panel. Whoop-de-doo, he stood up. Still nowhere near rotating the thing.

Oh, don't mind me. I just have this compulsion to stand up for someone who's trying to change, trying to improve. To acknowledge that it's a possibility and that steps can be so tiny as to be barely visible, but they're still steps toward the goal.

But "whoop-te-do he stood up" ? .... so at the very least, it's not a "planned downgraded fall."

And sorry karne, but I'm gonna go with the two recent calls of underrotation by those assigned to make the call. Not with your insistence to the contrary.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Having watched the videos of the medalists and the Canadians at this competition, my impressions re programs and skating:

I like Jason's LP much more than I did the at his first event. He skated with more flow and ease throughout so the program too flowed better. Very well done. Deserving highest PCS IMO.

Adam, OTOH, spent seemingly half the time pushing his blades to build up speed for his jumps. He was mostly vertical, no deep carving edges. Not much else going on even with the occasional artistic gesturing. I don't understand his PCS with this performance.

Mura did a lot in this program, including all the big jumps. What was lacking was a distinct flair, a personal brand to set him apart. Still, I don't understand why his PCS is so much lower than Adam's.

I hope Nam gets used to his body soon. He seemed to not have gotten acquainted with it enough. Maybe he has reached his adult height now, or almost there with no more growth spurts, but it still has to fill out to the adult shape. Hopefully then he will have the stability as well as the power to reach his potential. I'd give him a little time to settle and shine.

I like Eladj's program and how he skated very much. Too bad he completely ran out of steam towards the end. I wish him a steadily improving season sustained to a late season peak.

Yes! Thank you for seeing this too!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, don't mind me. I just have this compulsion to stand up for someone who's trying to change, trying to improve. To acknowledge that it's a possibility and that steps can be so tiny as to be barely visible, but they're still steps toward the goal.

:sarcasm: Yes, because I wouldn't know how to do that ever.

At least Adam is getting credit from the judges for his "trying to improve". Others don't.

But I have to ask you. Adam has been "attempting" this quad Lutz for at least two and a half years, if not more, and he's never gotten any closer to landing it. At what point do you acknowledge that the failed jump is planned?

shirfire218

Spectator
I have to admit i'm getting a bit tired of watching skaters trying quads simply to get the points since they have no hope of ever landing them. We can only hope the younger guys coming up who are already landing quads keep improving on everything else because they are the ones to get the US Men to be relevant again and contend.

The only reason I'm replying is because I have attended this event all week, including 2 day of practice prior to the event start Thursday. I don't want to get involved in any controversy and, for the record, I am a quad hater. For met, a lover of the artistic side of skating, it really detracts from my experience as a fan. And prior to this week, I would not have hesitated at this post or even thought of replying. As far as I'm concerned, Jason Brown should be left to do what he does best and just let me sit back and enjoy watching it! Ok, back to reality. Until this week, I questioned whether Jason could do a quad. But then there's the old adage "seeing is believing". And I have watched, and caught on video, Jason doing not just a mediocre quad...not a shaky quad; but Jason doing a BEAUTIFUL QUAD....actually about 3 times, at least, including the SP run through. By the way, on the SP run through at practice....it was nearly flawless. ABSOLUTELY, ELEGANTLY, BEAUTIFUL! I only just got the video of it uploaded to Youtube, at first I only knew how to post it on Facebook. On Facebook it has around 12,000 views and so many comments from all around the world about the excellence of the performance. And, to use someone else's phrase....he again left a very nice quad on the warm-up ice before the FS. So Jason can do quads and he can do them very nicely. Yes, I then sat and watched the 2 performances and watched him do the same thing on both of the quads. I cringed, I screamed inside....and I can't account for it. Because now I know he can do them. Who knows? Psychology and pressure....beyond me.

shirfire218

Spectator
The only reason I'm replying is because I have attended this event all week, including 2 day of practice prior to the event start Thursday. I don't want to get involved in any controversy and, for the record, I am a quad hater. For me, a lover of the artistic side of skating, it really detracts from my experience as a fan. And prior to this week, I would not have hesitated at this post or even thought of replying. As far as I'm concerned, Jason Brown should be left to do what he does best and just let me sit back and enjoy watching it! Ok, back to reality. Until this week, I questioned whether Jason could do a quad. But then there's the old adage "seeing is believing". And I have watched, and caught on video, Jason doing not just a mediocre quad...not a shaky quad; but Jason doing a BEAUTIFUL QUAD....actually about 3 times, at least, including the SP run through. By the way, on the SP run through at practice....it was nearly flawless. ABSOLUTELY, ELEGANTLY, BEAUTIFUL! I only just got the video of it uploaded to Youtube, at first I only knew how to post it on Facebook. On Facebook it has around 12,000 views and so many comments from all around the world about the excellence of the performance. And, to use someone else's phrase....he again left a very nice quad on the warm-up ice before the FS. So Jason can do quads and he can do them very nicely. Yes, I then sat and watched the 2 performances and watched him do the same thing on both of the quads. I cringed, I screamed inside....and I can't account for it. Because now I know he can do them. Who knows? Psychology and pressure....beyond me.

https://www.facebook.com/shirley.wo...758691?notif_t=like&notif_id=1474094571305220 Here's the video

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
link please :)
would love seeing it!
The only reason I'm replying is because I have attended this event all week, including 2 day of practice prior to the event start Thursday. I don't want to get involved in any controversy and, for the record, I am a quad hater. For met, a lover of the artistic side of skating, it really detracts from my experience as a fan. And prior to this week, I would not have hesitated at this post or even thought of replying. As far as I'm concerned, Jason Brown should be left to do what he does best and just let me sit back and enjoy watching it! Ok, back to reality. Until this week, I questioned whether Jason could do a quad. But then there's the old adage "seeing is believing". And I have watched, and caught on video, Jason doing not just a mediocre quad...not a shaky quad; but Jason doing a BEAUTIFUL QUAD....actually about 3 times, at least, including the SP run through. By the way, on the SP run through at practice....it was nearly flawless. ABSOLUTELY, ELEGANTLY, BEAUTIFUL! I only just got the video of it uploaded to Youtube, at first I only knew how to post it on Facebook. On Facebook it has around 12,000 views and so many comments from all around the world about the excellence of the performance. And, to use someone else's phrase....he again left a very nice quad on the warm-up ice before the FS. So Jason can do quads and he can do them very nicely. Yes, I then sat and watched the 2 performances and watched him do the same thing on both of the quads. I cringed, I screamed inside....and I can't account for it. Because now I know he can do them. Who knows? Psychology and pressure....beyond me.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Well, it was [borderline] under-rotated in that video, not to mention pre-rotated as well. So it "looks" nice but, well...needs much work.