2016 World Championships Ladies Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Ladies Free Skate

Violetti

On the Ice
Gracie is likely a lot more focused and hungry for the title since there is a lot more to lose. There is a world title at stake and a competition in front of a home crowd. I hope her sports psychologist prepared her well for this.

While I hope Gracie performs to the best of her ability, I also really really really hope Diva Wagner and Pogo find a spot on the podium. I have a huge soft spot for the underdogs.

I totally agree with you. :)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I am not thinking much about the gold because I think barring a complete meltdown, it is a done deal. Even with a fall, Gracie will win and that's just that. I agree that if she does break, and Ashley holds, it'll go to Ashley, no matter what anyone else does. It's just how these things go, not the skaters fault and in a year, the wheel turns again.

What I hope for from tonight is a clean Pogo for one and for Mao to skate her best, clean too. That's all. I think this would help going forward, so that's it. If I could possibly get that, it'd be awesome because boy did the men's event suck for me.

But do you think that's right? I love both Ashley and Pogo but if Gracie bomb her performance, for the program content a clean Evgenia should win this: Ashley stsq is level 3, she loses so many times the level on the spins, her jumps are often underrotated (especially the combo 3lo-1lo-3S)

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gpf1516/gpf1516_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

And yes the technical aspect is just a side of the overall performance, but Evgenia's components in the FS are good too.

I'm sure in that case Ashley will win just for all that reasons i said before but as a judge, i'd give her a good strong silver in that case, not the gold.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Hoping everyone skates their best and makes it hard for the judges! (Those of you rooting for skaters to make mistakes, stay classy.)

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
But do you think that's right?

No, I think it's grossly unfair but I don't think it's ever going to change. What I think can change is that we don't have any supremely uncomfortable situations like we did in Sochi, where people blame the skaters. I felt so bad for Adelina and I've seen plenty of hypocrisy before and after that and I don't like that.

As for a clean Evgenia, if she's better than Anna tonight, she's better, of course she should be placed ahead then. I mentioned Anna, as she's the one I'm cheering for and my hope for her is exactly what I said, a clean skate. I have no particular hope for her placement as I think that's better for my nerves, so I have wishes in regards to what skaters can control, which is their own performances. In general, I wish for a clean, good skate for all of them, the rest is out of their, and our, hands.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
To summarize what I just said,

I believe Gracie will not win the FS, but still the Gold medal and become Americas first female champion since 2006. It will be a controversy due the judging, but in the end, a well deserved victory for one of the finest ladies on ice. Everyone knows, how much I admire this girl and no matter what I think about the scores or reactions by the crowds, she is a figure skater, a great skater and only that should matter, if we rate her performances and it would be a personal pleasure to me, if she could silence the haters back in America, with gold around her neck.

Ashley, will win the FS, her PC´s will be super high, but the gap to Gracie is too big and she will just medal. The final medal, will go to one of the Russian ladies, right now I can not in the slightest predict to whom. Anna, seems like the stronger skater, Elena the most emotional and Evgenia the one who has absolutely nothing to lose. It will be a real nail biter for us and the ladies, but my biggest wish is, that this this will not once again, end up like the Sochi aftermath. What happened back then, was the rudest response I ever witnessed in figure skating and I skipped GS for almost 5 months afterwards, as I felt it was not in the slightest justified to insult, harass and bully the best skater of an event, just because of her nationality.

Love it or hate it, this is a figure skating event and the skaters are the last to blame, for mistakes or emotional judging, by other people. I will not join the Drama like I accidently did after the SP, so see this as my final post at the ladies FS thread and I hope for a peaceful and healthy skate tonight, for all ladies as I love them all!

Thank you. The whole quoted part is brilliant but these are exactly my thoughts.

Ekm

On the Ice
Hoping the podium includes Ashley and Anna, and either Elena or Gracie (but really I'll be happy no matter what if the first two ladies medal). Also hoping for a good skate from my favorite more obscure lady Galustyan, and my favorite of the Canadian ladies Daleman. And missing Mae, Laurine, and Kalani. Alas I am not going to be able to watch live as I am on bridesmaid duty, but I hope there are great things awaiting when I can catch up tomorrow.

And can we maybe let the event actually happen before going on and on about "conspiracies".

Last edited:

daphna

On the Ice
My wish is for Ashley to win. The nemesis short is behind her, I hope she can pull a free skate like she did at US nationals last year/GP final this year/Skate Canada 2015.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
So how soon into the event does everyone think the board will crash due to overload?

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
So how soon into the event does everyone think the board will crash due to overload?

I don't know, but I suppose that fortunately for me, my computer and my TV can't be in the same room, so I'll probably manage to avoid the craziness for awhile. :biggrin:

Barb

Record Breaker
Evgenia won´t be very nervous because she is not first, the most probably is she will be clean, she is in an excellent position IMO. It would be great if Gracie is clean but I doubt it, same for Anna.

I hope my princess Mao come back with big motivation, come on Mao!!, you has the whole package, just do it!!!:hap10::hap10:

GoddessMinerva

Rinkside
To be honest when it comes down to it I was just thrilled to have seen so many wonderful performances in the short. I only feel now that I want tonight to be the same, and the only disappointment I'll really have is if the quality of the skating drops. I'm trying not to expect too much but I can't help it.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
I hope Ashley and Gracie go clean and also hope for a good showing for Mao:) She started this season so strong but really lost all momentum. Still great job and excited for tonight

mrrice

Record Breaker
Good Morning Everyone, I just had a Venti Mocha from Starbucks and I'm feeling good as we go into the Ladies Final. I hope the US Ladies will skate as well as our Men did last night. I must admit that I'm disappointed we were unable to keep our 3rd spot but, I think the US Men skated to the best of their abilities and were beaten by better skaters. The Men's field is as deep as the Ocean and hopefully Joshua, Jason, Nathan, Grant, Ricky and Ross will all be back and healthy next year.

I have never been so nervous for the ladies event. I still have Evgenia as the winner but, I am praying that Gracie gets on the podium. Not just for her but, also for Frank Carroll. He looked absolutely devastated after Denis's performance and I think a bad skate from Gracie will send him into retirement. I want to see him go out on top with a smile on his face and I hope Gracie can help with that.

I would love to see Ashley stay in the top 5 and if Mirai can make the top 10, I would consider this one of the best Worlds for the US Ladies in the last 10 years. Lastly, I would love to see Anna Pogorilaya have another great skate. She had SOOO much pressure on her last night and she handled like a real diva. Good Luck and Great Skating to all the ladies this afternoon.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, normally a lurker. Love this forum! Anyway, go on, Anna! A great talent and capable of a fab performance- if she doesn't splat. Sorry, but am genuinely surprised that everyone thinks Gracie will win (and I really do like her- she's a nice all-rounder, maybe personal choice?!), and saddened also (like others) that Laurine and Berenice didn't make the cut, and that Angelina and Nicole are not higher in the standings for the fs as I think they are lovely to watch.

Oreo

On the Ice
Would love Gracie, Ashley, and Anna to all be on the podium--all head cases who have risen to the occasion and all first-time medalists.

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
How depressing is it that many of us know the fix is in for Gracie to win? I really wish the sport wasn't like this, but I just feel numb and resigned to accept it. I can't even get angry about it. I just hope my girls skate well and are happy with their performances. Sadly, that's all I can do.

mrrice

Record Breaker
How depressing is it that many of us know the fix is in for Gracie to win? I really wish the sport wasn't like this, but I just feel numb and resigned to accept it. I can't even get angry about it. I just hope my girls skate well and are happy with their performances. Sadly, that's all I can do.

Oh Honey............I don't know what you think a fix is :disapp:. However, I can promise you that losing a 3rd spot for our Men, was no "Fix." The Shibs had the skate of their lives and "Rightly" lost to the defending champions. If there was a "Fix" the Shibs would have won based on the HUGE standing Ovation they received from the hometown crowd. A fix would have been to ignore Chris K's fall and put Him and Alexa in the top 3. None of those things happened so, I don't know where you're getting this Fix idea from.

Last edited:

johnsmith72

On the Ice

I understand where your'e coming from, but I don't think the fix is in for Gracie to win. She has to deliver otherwise the judges won't go with her. They scored Pogo very close to Gracie so she doesn't have much of a margin. I also don't really see the issue with the scoring in the short as Gracie was so much better than evangia who was tight with limited ice coverage. In addition she had better steps than Ashley and has superior skating skills. Gracie performed the heck out of that program and was rewarded.