2017–2018 Season Predictions Games | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017–2018 Season Predictions Games

russianfan

Match Penalty
I have an idea - how about creating a small website for predictions games? I believe there are many things which can and should be automatized, so people don't have to spend so much time calculating results, and also it will speed up everything (less time waiting for results, etc). I was thinking about implementing this, but at first i would like to know what people think about it - does it makes sense? I have a lot of ideas regarding this, but a simple concept would be following:

1) The ones who want to participate at games create a simple account (username/password, nothing more), just so we know with whom to associate the results
2) Then user sees the list of upcoming competitions, and can select one to add their prediction (while adding prediction they can only select the skaters who actually participating, i mean there will be automatic checks, etc). Also they can add predictions only before certain time (before competition starts, server will check it).
3) Competitions will be managed by some users with special roles, they will be able to add new competitions and select which skaters are participating in them. Also they will be able to add the results after competition ends, and then server automatically calculates all the results and posts them(so in most cases results will be available right after competition ends).
4) Later we can add more features like different sets of rules, grouping by seasons, may be something else, etc. We can also add many statistics(tables), like who is the most accurate predictor and many other things.

Let me know what you think.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have an idea - how about creating a small website for predictions games? I believe there are many things which can and should be automatized, so people don't have to spend so much time calculating results, and also it will speed up everything (less time waiting for results, etc). I was thinking about implementing this, but at first i would like to know what people think about it - does it makes sense? I have a lot of ideas regarding this, but a simple concept would be following:

1) The ones who want to participate at games create a simple account (username/password, nothing more), just so we know with whom to associate the results
2) Then user sees the list of upcoming competitions, and can select one to add their prediction (while adding prediction they can only select the skaters who actually participating, i mean there will be automatic checks, etc). Also they can add predictions only before certain time (before competition starts, server will check it).
3) Competitions will be managed by some users with special roles, they will be able to add new competitions and select which skaters are participating in them. Also they will be able to add the results after competition ends, and then server automatically calculates all the results and posts them(so in most cases results will be available right after competition ends).
4) Later we can add more features like different sets of rules, grouping by seasons, may be something else, etc. We can also add many statistics(tables), like who is the most accurate predictor and many other things.

Let me know what you think.

Wow! Very impressive ideas.

I particularly like the sound of an automatic cut off. Because we did have a player cheating a couple of years ago, completely changing their predictions after the SP and hoping nobody would notice.

And it would be interesting to see statistics.

But, it sounds like it would be very complicated to set up. So, personally, I think we're better sticking to the current method.

As NNF said, you can find out lots of interesting things while doing the scoring. But, if it was automated, it would take this enjoyment out of it.

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us.

CaroLiza_fan

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Wow - you're doing it manually too! I had no idea that there were so many scorers that were brave enough to do that!

Don't worry, I know you've volunteered (did I miss you when sending out the replies? :slink: ) I'm just waiting until the Canadian Predictions close before starting to finalise arrangements, just to give people a little more time to see the appeal.

CaroLiza_fan
I probably will score manually as well...

russianfan

Match Penalty
Wow! Very impressive ideas.

I particularly like the sound of an automatic cut off. Because we did have a player cheating a couple of years ago, completely changing their predictions after the SP and hoping nobody would notice.

And it would be interesting to see statistics.

But, it sounds like it would be very complicated to set up. So, personally, I think we're better sticking to the current method.

As NNF said, you can find out lots of interesting things while doing the scoring. But, if it was automated, it would take this enjoyment out of it.

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us.

CaroLiza_fan

It's really not, i'm a programmer myself and know how to do it. I just want to know if people are going to use it(it will be totally free of course) if i would make it.
Also i believe there will be enough enjoyment but from other things, like managing competitions/participants, etc.

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
I have always scored manually. The first competition I scored was 4CC and had more than 200 predictions, but it was fun.

It may seem difficult, but it turns to be like an automatic process, easier as you keep improving on the speed and time dedicated to score.

Weathergal

Medalist
Thank you for reminding me that I need to score the US men. It WILL happen, just not sure when.
I don't think I'll be available for the majors. Sorry for all the confusion I've caused (there might be more when I do the men!) :eek::

Wow - you're doing it manually too! I had no idea that there were so many scorers that were brave enough to do that!

Don't worry, I know you've volunteered (did I miss you when sending out the replies? :slink: ) I'm just waiting until the Canadian Predictions close before starting to finalise arrangements, just to give people a little more time to see the appeal.

CaroLiza_fan

No, I just checked and you hadn't replied to my email. Glad to know I'm on your volunteer list though! :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
No, I just checked and you hadn't replied to my email. Glad to know I'm on your volunteer list though! :)

Sorry about that. I defintiely read it, so I must have accidentally gone past it when I went back to do the replies.

That is why I hate checking my e-mails. There are just too many notifications from social networks that I haven't even looked near in years clogging it up. And, hence, it is so easy to miss the important stuff.

CaroLiza_fan