2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 140 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes, seeing how the Russian girls evolution has been destroying them one by one except for Medvedeva is really heartbreaking: Leonova, Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Tukamysheva, Proklova, Sakhanovich and now Radionova have been left behind with new waves of talents coming forward. It's not anyone's fault, of course, but it is really sad that these skaters do not have the time to develop and go through hard times, when they should take their career and progress more calmly: on the contrary, as soon as someone can't compete with the top girls she is under an enormous amount of pressure which often leads to retirement etc (see Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya). Sucha cruel world :sad21:

Sotnikova didn't retire...and Lipnitskaya & Proklova had health problems. I'm sure Alena, Liza, and Elena would be surprised to learn they have been "left behind" since they all are still competing like the rest of the ladies' field from the rest of the world. What are you talking about?

And I think some people need a little bit of perspective - what is so cruel about making it to the top of your sport, even if only for a short time? What about the hundreds of skaters who never make it nearly as far as any of those girls did but worked just as hard and sacrificed just as much? Not to mention all the cruel things that happen outside of sport every single day. At least they achieved something and will be remembered. I strongly doubt any of them pity themselves as much as certain skating fans do.

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
As someone who always rooted for gymnast Vika Komova, I can tell you nothing is more frustrating and heartbreaking than lost potential. :sad21:

I hear you. (silently crying)
Signed, a proud Komova and Grishina fan since 2008.

Although, to be fair, Vika has 2 world titles, two world silver and two Olympic silver medals. Not nearly as successful as she shoulda/coulda/woulda been, but not an unimpressive résumé after all. And she's not retired yet.

Out of topic over.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Sotnikova didn't retire...and Lipnitskaya & Proklova had health problems. I'm sure Alena, Liza, and Elena would be surprised to learn they have been "left behind" since they all are still competing like the rest of the ladies' field from the rest of the world. What are you talking about?

My guess is that he was saying they are 'left behind' meaning no more Worlds or Olympics for them? Seriously do you think either of those three will be on either team ever again? I don't. It's great that they are still getting GPs, and hopefully being a middling Russian getting middling results is satisfying for them. I'm glad that Hicks got a GP this year. She seems to enjoy what she's doing and has made great improvements this year. So yes, world and oly teams aren't the only motivator.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haven't listened to it yet, but IceNetwork's podcast has an interview with Evgenia! Per the description, she will discuss her program change and her love of anime: http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

I'm excited!

Did you see the NBC fluff they did where she talked (in English) about her favorite stuffed animal that she takes to the KnC each time. She said its name but I forgot already.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
My guess is that he was saying they are 'left behind' meaning no more Worlds or Olympics for them? Seriously do you think either of those three will be on either team ever again? I don't. It's great that they are still getting GPs, and hopefully being a middling Russian getting middling results is satisfying for them. I'm glad that Hicks got a GP this year. She seems to enjoy what she's doing and has made great improvements this year. So yes, world and oly teams aren't the only motivator.

I don't think it's completely out of the question that Elena or Liza could go to Worlds again. Especially after the Olys when many skaters will take a break. There are plenty of skaters from all countries and disciplines who never achieved a Worlds medal like they did, or got to go to the Olys at all. And yes, those things should not be the only motivator. If that's all you're in the sport for then I guess it would be sad, but there are far greater injustices and I guess my sympathy is limited, even if I like them.

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't think it's completely out of the question that Elena or Liza could go to Worlds again. Especially after the Olys when many skaters will take a break. There are plenty of skaters from all countries and disciplines who never achieved a Worlds medal like they did, or got to go to the Olys at all. And yes, those things should not be the only motivator. If that's all you're in the sport for then I guess it would be sad, but there are far greater injustices and I guess my sympathy is limited, even if I like them.
The problem is that after Olympics another group of skaters will become senior age eligible (Tarusina, Gubanova, Nugumanova, Samodurova, Panenkova, Guliakova ) plus Feditchkina and Konstantinova will move to seniors, so that’s eight extra skaters. And the following year to add Tarakanova, Trusova, Scherbakova, Vasilieva, Kostornaya... let’s face it, Tuktamysheva’s chances are going to be decreasing with every year. while it was only 1-2 extra girls every year, a skater could afford to underperform and still got their chance the following season, but with five or more extra girls coming to seniors every year, it will be tough.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The problem is that after Olympics another group of skaters will become senior age eligible (Tarusina, Gubanova, Nugumanova, Samodurova, Panenkova, Guliakova ) plus Feditchkina and Konstantinova will move to seniors, so that’s eight extra skaters. And the following year to add Tarakanova, Trusova, Scherbakova, Vasilieva, Kostornaya... let’s face it, Tuktamysheva’s chances are going to be decreasing with every year. while it was only 1-2 extra girls every year, a skater could afford to underperform and still got their chance the following season, but with five or more extra girls coming to seniors every year, it will be tough.

I was thinking more about the current season for Worlds - maybe someone will want to take a break, maybe someone will be injured...who knows.

Not all of them can make it, that's for sure. But in the large federations someone always has to miss out. Even in some small feds where there's only 1 spot but a decent rivalry it can happen. Do I feel worse for those who already had a trip than those who never have? No, not really.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I expect to see the same 3 russian girls who make the Oly team also at Worlds.

Assuming Alina is one of them, these would be her 1st Worlds, I doubt she would miss it even if she medaled at Olympics. With Evgenia, I could see her wanting a 3rd world title in a row, but maybe she would skip if she won the gold. Then again she is so competitive, I tend to think she wouldn't. The third member, who presumably is going to really have to fight for that spot, will no way give it up as she probably knows Worlds may never happen for her again in this field and it doesn't matter if the third member is Anna, Lena, Liza, Polina or Maria. Unless of course injuries happen.

With the depth being like it is and more juniors coming up, I think the seniors right now will snatch every opportunity they have to get to the big competitions. All of them are good enough to get grand prix assignments. But worlds and euros are still more of a priority I think.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker

The post Olympic season will be very interesting indeed. Your words like a music to my ears. But your first group of skaters "(Tarusina, Gubanova, Nugumanova, Samodurova, Panenkova, Guliakova ) plus Feditchkina and Konstantinova" is not so impressive:

Nugumanova is still struggling with URs, doing the same stupid childish choreo as when she was 12 yo, and after puberty her chances will be very low.

Tarusina - I like her expressions, but she is ABBA girl v. 2. Before her bad injury in the bus crash she was stable as Mikhailova, but her PCS scores weren't good enough.

Fedichkina - I rewatched her previous videos when she was 12-13 yo, and it's insane how she was able to jump 2A. She has the lowest 2A in the world. And now it's gone after puberty because of so low height. Also even before puberty she was struggling with URs, popped jumps and stamina, which cost her the gold medal in Spain, where she lost to Yuna.

Angel Gubanova - she is perfection on the ice, but her future to me is unclear. She was hit by puberty and became slower. Still problems with 3Lz.

Samodurova - very consistent skater, good presentation on the ice, but her speed in the stsq and TES are not good.

Konstantinova - powerful skating, bad posture, no consistency.

So far only Panenkova and Gulyakova's places are booked.

And, leaving juniors behind, who's else except Evgenia and Alina is a leader? Slow and boring Sotskova with bad spins? Sloppy Pogorilaya with incredible stsq and big problems with consistency? Radio with dirty landings and weak skating? Tuktamysheva with her low PCS and falls/popped jumps?

Where is the bloodbath? Only juniors will help to make Senior Russian Nationals 2018 to be like this.

Russia's third spot will be very weak and probably will be out of top 10 at Olympics. My only hope is that Polina will take the third spot and will prove me wrong, but... Will see.

yuna

On the Ice
The post Olympic season will be very interesting indeed. Your words like a music to my ears. But your first group of skaters "(Tarusina, Gubanova, Nugumanova, Samodurova, Panenkova, Guliakova ) plus Feditchkina and Konstantinova" is not so impressive:

Nugumanova is still struggling with URs, doing the same stupid childish choreo as when she was 12 yo, and after puberty her chances will be very low.

Tarusina - I like her expressions, but she is ABBA girl v. 2. Before her bad injury in the bus crash she was stable as Mikhailova, but her PCS scores weren't good enough.

Fedichkina - I rewatched her previous videos when she was 12-13 yo, and it's insane how she was able to jump 2A. She has the lowest 2A in the world. And now it's gone after puberty because of so low height. Also even before puberty she was struggling with URs, popped jumps and stamina, which cost her the gold medal in Spain, where she lost to Yuna.

Angel Gubanova - she is perfection on the ice, but her future to me is unclear. She was hit by puberty and became slower. Still problems with 3Lz.

Samodurova - very consistent skater, good presentation on the ice, but her speed in the stsq and TES are not good.

And, leaving juniors behind, who's else except Evgenia and Alina is a leader? Slow and boring Sotskova with bad spins? Sloppy Pogorilaya with incredible stsq and big problems with consistency? Radio with dirty landings and weak skating? Tuktamysheva with her low PCS and falls/popped jumps?

Where is the bloodbath? Only juniors will help to make Senior Russian Nationals 2018 to be like this.

Russia's third spot will be very weak and probably will be out of top 10 at Olympics. My only hope is that Polina will take the third spot and will prove me wrong, but... Will see.

I agree. I think Alina and Zhenya will probably be the top 2 russian ladies (if they both stay healthy and continue of course) with the 3rd spot being a wildcard. I really hope Gubanova stays healthy next year and does really well because shes such a beautiful skater, but like you said her future is unclear.
The 2019-2020 season will really be a bloodbath for the russians for sure. They have so many talented skaters who turn senior in that season its unbelievable. Its really just a matter of who will be better/healthy by then.

Alifyre

On the Ice

I agree that Sotskova is kinda dull but both she and Pogorilaya have a lot of potential for big scores when they're clean. Pogo's meltdown at worlds aside, she put up big scores all last season p consistently and I wouldn't count her out as a top lady. Polina, too, has a lot of potential for high scores, if her skating at the recent domestic competition shows. I think it's a little over pessimistic to say lady #3 won't even break top 10. Even Radionova could probably edge her way into a top 10 finish if she stopped falling on her loop entries, which isn't unreasonable to expect. Either way, I think we will see 3 high Russian finishes at the olympics no matter who goes.

hanca

Record Breaker

All those junior girls have some strengths and some weaknesses. But the number of them just decreases Tuktamysheva’s chances, because even Tuktamysheva has her own strengths and her own weakneses. I have much more faith in Radionova, I thi k she still has a chance, but Tuktamysheva I think will just struggle and drop every year.

tars

Record Breaker
All those junior girls have some strengths and some weaknesses. But the number of them just decreases Tuktamysheva’s chances, because even Tuktamysheva has her own strengths and her own weakneses. I have much more faith in Radionova, I thi k she still has a chance, but Tuktamysheva I think will just struggle and drop every year.
But Tuktamysheva's jumps survived post puberty unlike Radionova and many of those younger phenoms in the future. Liza was flying high at test skates, she was impressive.

tjb

Match Penalty
gubanova looks better this season, than in her previous one. her percentage of clean programs are definitely higher. she had a meltdown on the most important event, it's true, but it doesn't mean that the puberty is the problem.
panenkova is a consistency monster, so she probably should have the most successeful debut season. but besides her, i think that nastya has the most chances to be competitive at seniors next year.
she looks like a new pogorilaya to me, with her ups and downs she can take away an anna's crown:drama: