2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

atsumiri

Record Breaker

tjb

Match Penalty
This is very sad in Olympic season. :(

Could somebody tell, if it's happening because:
- Russian TV/government is saving money and choosing cheaper broadcasts or
- people simply prefer other sports on TV, so they don't have broadcasting time for fs? :scratch2:

i guess, it's both.
ratings for figure skating on tv are very low. no matter what people are saying, but figure skating is not very popular in russia. and popularity of the sport decreases every year, tv ratings continuing to going down, despite that russians are winning.
and match tv has money issues. they were ready to declare bankruptcy this year, but received some money from the goverment, that's the only reason why they are still here

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Could somebody tell, if it's happening because:
- Russian TV/government is saving money and choosing cheaper broadcasts or
- people simply prefer other sports on TV, so they don't have broadcasting time for fs? :scratch2:

There are rumors that it's an initiative of Tina Kandelaki who was appointed the main producer of Match TV, despite the fact that she doesn't have experience in sports and apparently just doesn't like it much.

The original idea of this channel was to popularize sports, but the 'effective managers', as we call them, found a way to make it financially effective, which is to focus on football.

tars

Record Breaker
But aren't football broadcasting rights much more expensive than those for figure skating? :confused2:

tjb

Match Penalty
But aren't football broadcasting rights much more expensive than those for figure skating? :confused2:

yeah, it's way more expensive. and most of the football broadcasts are even less popular. match tv spending enormous money on the things, like english premier league, and no one watching it either

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does Telesport live stream? I read in Yulia's fan fest that she is going to broadcast the remainder of the GP. Do they broadcast live?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
This weekend is going to have so many Russian ladies!!
Masha and Anna in Skate Canada...
Sasha, Alenka, Nastya G, Polya, Stasya, and Alisa in the 3rd stage...
Wow!
On another note, has Elizaveta Nugumanova competed recently? How is she looking? What about Ogoreltseva??

tars

Record Breaker
yeah, it's way more expensive. and most of the football broadcasts are even less popular. match tv spending enormous money on the things, like english premier league, and no one watching it either
I don't get it.
These girls bring so much pride and happiness to the nation, why doesn't national tv/government help to promote fs, especially in Olympic season?
I realize there are probably many sports Russians excel in, but not so prestigious and worldwide as figure skating.
I mean, there are Russia's great rivals like US, China, Japan, Europe competing with great traditions and (still) great aspirations and Russian ladies sing national anthem and watch their flag being raised every single time! :agree:
Plus athletes earn money, share some of it with coaching staffs and government invest money in rinks, youth development, skating clubs, schools and programs anyway - so why not showcase it's successes on TV to make taxpayers happy and proud? :think:

tars

Record Breaker
This weekend is going to have so many Russian ladies!!
Masha and Anna in Skate Canada...
Sasha, Alenka, Nastya G, Polya, Stasya, and Alisa in the 3rd stage...
Wow!
On another note, has Elizaveta Nugumanova competed recently? How is she looking? What about Ogoreltseva??
Take a look at my earlier post (Ogoreltseva finished 7th - 173.24).

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Does Telesport live stream? I read in Yulia's fan fest that she is going to broadcast the remainder of the GP. Do they broadcast live?

Yes, Skate Canada is already scheduled; the rest of GP should be broadcast too. I only regret we won't hear TAT/Grishin there.

why doesn't national tv/government help to promote fs, especially in Olympic season?

It probably takes a little scandal to fix what these effective managers screwed. I hope people like TAT will use their influence for that.

hanca

Record Breaker
But Tuktamysheva's jumps survived post puberty unlike Radionova and many of those younger phenoms in the future. Liza was flying high at test skates, she was impressive.

Tuktamysheva is unlucky with her natural body shape. Unless she is in her top competition shape, her jump consistency is not that great. She often pops jumps. Radionova is much more lucky with her natural shape and she still has the fighting instinct. She very rarely pops jumps. Her landings may be messy due to puberty, but she fights for every jump and this season her landings are already better than last season. She is a fighter whereas Liza tends to give up if things get bad.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, Liza has the jumps - and Lena has the grit.

Note: I love them both, though I love Liza more as she is my Favourite Lady. I'm not giving up on either of them.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
She's been getting better now that she's with Plushenko. And she'll be at Minsk Ice-Star this coming weekend.

janav

On the Ice
Guys: is Sima Sakhanovich still in the conversation? She has been performing miserably ... :slink:

She recently switched to Plushy's school, didn't she? I hope that after a period of adjustment she'll be in conversation again but I'm gonna keep my expectations low to save myself from disappointment.