2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If it hasn't been posted, Kaetlyn Osmond confirms in this interview that Lance Vipond is doing her short again and Jeff Buttle is doing her long.
Before she went on tour, Osmond already completed her routines for the Olympic season. She’s staying mum for the moment on the music being used, but she will say they are programs that are very different from the past season. “There’s two pieces of music that I absolutely love,” she said. “My long program is something that I wanted to do for years and years and years and years and years. So I’m really excited for it.”

desertskates

Medalist
If it hasn't been posted, Kaetlyn Osmond confirms in this interview that Lance Vipond is doing her short again and Jeff Buttle is doing her long.

I'm very interested to see what it is! Always so great when people decide to hang on to a very favorite piece of music for an Olympic year, especially when they have a real good shot at winning a medal with it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
According to IFS' article covering the OWI gala (written by Brooklee! :biggrin: ), Kailani is keeping her "Dream a Little Dream" SP for next season.

Diahpam

Rinkside
Battle Royale of the Choreographers. Who survives the bloodbath in the end? :devil:

Cue Jeffrey Buttle laughing quietly, safe in his ivory tower.

My hope is in Shae-Lynn. I mean she creates Seimei!! And HL!! What proofs do you want more? Even her 'lesser' creation i.e phantom is good (the issue was on unhealthy yuzu. the program itself is very good). Yuzu grows artistically with her. Even after david redeemed himself with notte stellata, i dont think it is enough. Shae got yuzu'a style better than david i think

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Can't help but be very disappointed in the Shibs' choice. I feel like it's a step backwards and seems like they received the wrong message from Worlds.

TMC

Record Breaker
Can't help but be very disappointed in the Shibs' choice. I feel like it's a step backwards and seems like they received the wrong message from Worlds.

Yeah same here. I like the idea of a trilogy, but Paradise does not strike me as good ice dance music. Or good music :slink:

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Well Paradise is completely different song in comparison to Fix You so I don't mind it. Also I'm happy they will be skating to something different than LaLa Land or standard, slow, mushy song

Barb

Record Breaker
Well Paradise is completely different song in comparison to Fix You so I don't mind it. Also I'm happy they will be skating to something different than LaLa Land or standard, slow, mushy song

Exactly!!

lyndichee

Medalist
I hope they remix it and breakdown the music.

I was really hoping they would pick another alternative rock band to skate to instead. I would imagine something like "How It Ends" by DeVotchka or "All I Want" by Kodaline would be good choices to mash up. I don't really have high hopes for Paradise.

Tallorder

On the Ice
People seem to not understand the term TRILOGY. Trilogy is defined as a SERIES OF THREE RELATED WORKS. Trilogy does not mean combining three works into one.

The obvious connection between the 3 FD works listed (2016, 2017 and now implied 2018) is in how it relates to Maia and Alex's own journey.
Part 1, Fix You was a brutally honest, about vulnerability and struggle. It started with "When you try your best but you don't succeed" and ended with the uplift of "Lights will guide you home."

Part 2 "Evolution" was about their evolution as artists after "lights have guided them home." They took unusual ownership of their music and choreography. The program "evolved" throughout the season. It began with peace and ended with power. Like trilogies in literature, the middle part is a transition to Part 3.

Part 3 is "Paradise." Maia tweeted lyrics. "When she was just a girl, she expected the world, but it flew away from her reach, so she ran away in her sleep, and dreamed of paradise..." From being down and out, then fixing each other, gathering confidence and strength. Now they "dream of Paradise" with their goal of the Olympics.

It's the Shibs. They are cerebral. They are story tellers. I'm optimistic because it is obviously going to once again be deeply personal to them. Coldplay music has been "the soundtrack to their souls."

Fans want to see them "let it all hang out" more. I can see that happening in an authentic way and I can see audiences loving it.

Weathergal

Medalist
I also take the Shibs' message to mean they are just skating to "Paradise" for their 2017-2018 FD, but I can see why someone would think they meant all three songs at first.

I am trying to reserve judgment at this point, partly for he reasons TallOrder described so well--it represents the Shibs' story, and they will tell it well, plus it's really personal to them so they'll sell it well. Also so many have counted them out so many times, wondering why they don't retire, suggesting Alex get another partner, etc., but they are still in the mix.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
People seem to not understand the term TRILOGY. Trilogy is defined as a SERIES OF THREE RELATED WORKS. Trilogy does not mean combining three works into one.

The obvious connection between the 3 FD works listed (2016, 2017 and now implied 2018) is in how it relates to Maia and Alex's own journey.
Part 1, Fix You was a brutally honest, about vulnerability and struggle. It started with "When you try your best but you don't succeed" and ended with the uplift of "Lights will guide you home."

Part 2 "Evolution" was about their evolution as artists after "lights have guided them home." They took unusual ownership of their music and choreography. The program "evolved" throughout the season. It began with peace and ended with power. Like trilogies in literature, the middle part is a transition to Part 3.

Part 3 is "Paradise." Maia tweeted lyrics. "When she was just a girl, she expected the world, but it flew away from her reach, so she ran away in her sleep, and dreamed of paradise..." From being down and out, then fixing each other, gathering confidence and strength. Now they "dream of Paradise" with their goal of the Olympics.

It's the Shibs. They are cerebral. They are story tellers. I'm optimistic because it is obviously going to once again be deeply personal to them. Coldplay music has been "the soundtrack to their souls."

Fans want to see them "let it all hang out" more. I can see that happening in an authentic way and I can see audiences loving it.

Very true. I am sure they decided and thought about this program a lot, probably since Fix you, it is not a decision done overnight.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I also take the Shibs' message to mean they are just skating to "Paradise" for their 2017-2018 FD, but I can see why someone would think they meant all three songs as first.

I am trying to reserve judgment at this point, partly for he reasons NoNameFace described so well--it represents the Shibs' story, and they will tell it well, plus it's really personal to them so they'll sell it well. Also so many have counted them out so many times, wondering why they don't retire, suggesting Alex get another partner, etc., but they are still in the mix.

firstly, thanks a lot for mentioning me, and I really don't know what for (hope the credit is for something good I wrote there somewhere:laugh:):ghug:

my two little cents...well, I do get those who are disappointed by possible 'trilogy' of previous programs + 'Paradise'/or 'Paradise' alone - after all, it's nothing shocking, ground-breaking or very much out of the box/innovative when we take the possibility to incorporate music from 2 previous FDs; there goes also 'Paradise' alone which is not everyone's favourite aesthetic. But at the same time - both concepts (trilogy and 'Paradise' solo) are sure thoughtful from Maia and Alex's side: if we take a combination of 'Fix you', 'Evolution' and 'Paradise' - either used together or only as phases of development season after season - I personally can see a full picture and see the initial message they want to send. As always since 2 seasons ago - they have their own concept over their image, how they want to create it, make a vision into real stuff; it's very refreshing from them to see after this period of their competitive career when they seemed to struggle a lot with this sense of 'identity', creating their own space and owning it in their own, independent way, through multiple factors: skills, experience, personality, way of expression, relationship dynamics. Since 'Fix you' FD, they stopped for me with producing pleasant picture only by their skating, being disconnected with them emotionally, mechanical and unpersonal and showed how powerful their skating could be, how moving and rich.

All those three FDs, including upcoming one, are truly making a 'full circle' of re-discovering themselves as skaters, as artists, in terms of finding their voice inside material, not only competition and technical stuff. I really appreciate thoughtfulness of that choice and going with it. Saying that, I do reserve my judgement of the actual program, its composition, expression and vibe until I see it in action. What I do sense for now is that there will be a room for musical alterations/'experimenting' with versions or mixing regarding 'Paradise' - as we already seen it with 'Fix you' when they made it more accessible due to introducing in the middle of the season an instrumental part of 'The Scientist' in their FD.

For now, I can just only say that as their past 2 seasons helped me re-discover them, get to know them more personally as skaters/artists and understand where they came for and with what -that 'capital' they created for me personally builds on a hope and anticipation on what's going to come.