2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 71 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

bramweld

Record Breaker
Let's talk when being Russian number 1 means something on the international stage because neither S/B or B/S really impressed this weekend. They are decent, hardworking teams but nothing more. I was pleased with the attack that Z/G had for their FD but they really undersold the SD it was so much better at Nationals. What worries me about them is their inconsistency from from one performance to the next. You never know which Z/G is going to show up. Still waiting for a new pair to capture my attention like I/K did back in the day.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Let's talk when being Russian number 1 means something on the international stage because neither S/B or B/S really impressed this weekend. They are decent, hardworking teams but nothing more.
Stepanova/Bukin have a great SD and have received excellent reviews on it. They stepped up their game technically, the step sequences are better and the pattern was miles better.

The FD, as much as I don't like Lieberstraum with these particular vocals, works for them too. Maybe not as much as the SD but that does not matter, there is always a program that works better tha the other. On the other hand, it's on the technical where they lost quite the points, and you see that they need to be polished. The step sequences can be a bit tricky for them still but they are worth so many points it's easy to lose. Great extensions on lifts though.

Like Ben Agosto said : "they don't do ugly positions just for the sake of showing they can do it", that is a big improvement in choreography. I don't know what they'll bring next year, but they are World podium contenders for next year for sure.

Marta25

Medalist
Well, that was an interesting weekend for Russian ice dance and a very successful one, although a little bit helped by C/L`s mistake in the FD. I was honestly shocked when S/B were placed above B/S in the Short Dance, I did not expect S/B to be this close to them. IMO, S/B`s Short Dance is better constructed and they sell the heck out of it. I wonder if the Russian Fed would consider to put S/B in the Short Dance for the Team Event in Korea? Might be the better strategy than letting B/S do both portions.
Anyway, it`s pretty clear that S/B are being set up to become the new Russian #1 starting with next season. It will be interesting to see how they deal with this new situation, since in this entire quad, they always had another team infront of them, who was pushed as #1. I`m also curious to see how S/K`s response will look like. If we talk about talent and skills, S/K should be able to beat S/B, but S/K have been hindered a lot by their own mistakes and injuries. Another point is of course if the Russian Fed will allow a fight for the #1 spot or if they are completely set on pushing S/B for the next quad.

The Russian Junior Nationals will take place next week, where we will have an interesting fight between the Junior Teams to get on the World Junior Team. After winning Gold at the JGPF, S/A should be going as favorites in this competiton, as well as P/V. But there is a whole bunch of teams fighting for the last spot on the team. I hope we will see S/S again.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Being Russian number one doesn’t mean anything because russian ice dance is considered dead. Only when teams of some talent are accepted by dubreuil will people judges take note and make a Russian team euro world or Olympic champion. First four years ever never a euro champion gpf champion or medalists or world champion or medalists from Russia. It’s so sad how the program has comepletley died and can’t win any kind of major gold anymore.

Being Russia number one now means no gp wins. No gpf appearance, no world medals, no euro title. Its like being Chinese number one dance team. Stepanova and Bukin of course have no chance to win any kind of world medal being coached by their current coaches or any coaches in Russia.

bramweld

Record Breaker
If we focus on S/K objectively we'd realize that they are poorly matched. Victoria holds him back. They have very little emotional range and dance range with most of it residing with Katsalapov. They excel at long deep edges, waltzes, but as the complexity of movement increases that speed that they're known for slowly evaporates as well as the ease of movement. Katsalapov appears to struggle with lifts and he seems unable or unwilling to work on his physical strength. S/B have much more range and and while she does have significant ss issues she presents herself with great care and style and she has grit, real grit. They are going to put up a tough fight and the tango is going to be right up their alley next season. But to be honest my guilty pleasure this season has been Arina and Maxim's Be Italian from juniors.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Tango is intricate steps and just like every other compulsory dance Stepanova will hold the team back and they will be behind again because while others may lack tango feel she will lack the steps and s/b will make no progress.

starla16

Medalist
Im seeing a pettern with S/B, their SD scores have been steadily rising over the years but their FD is stagnant and they tend to lose it, I think the problem here is technique, they still skate slow and Stepanova cannot bend her knees.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Im seeing a pettern with S/B, their SD scores have been steadily rising over the years but their FD is stagnant and they tend to lose it, I think the problem here is technique, they still skate slow and Stepanova cannot bend her knees.

That’s what Bukin wants in his partner! No knee bend.

Mattieu

Medalist
Isn’t it self evident? There are skaters who can Bend their knees and Bukin isn’t interested.

No it's not self evident. For sure he will have been told many times his partner doesn't have the deepest knee bend.

But why would he change his partner of so many years just because she doesn't have the deepest knee bend?

The reason the top teams are at the top, is because they have been together for so many years.
It takes a very long time to gel with a partner sufficiently to get to the very top level.

He is 24, if he changed partners, it would take 2 to 3 years to be competitive, and way longer to make it to be anywhere near where he is now.
So why would be committing career suicide just because she doesn't have the strongest knee bend? (it has improved visibly this season I might add)
Also, she has many more great qualities that far outweigh her lack of knee bend. She is stunning IMO, and is a great partner for Bukin.

A 2nd bronze medal at Euros, beating Russia's No. 1 team on the SD and you are ready to write her off because she doesn't have as much knee bend as some other girls? :scratch3:

gmyers

Record Breaker
No it's not self evident. For sure he will have been told many times his partner doesn't have the deepest knee bend.

But why would he change his partner of so many years just because she doesn't have the deepest knee bend?

The reason the top teams are at the top, is because they have been together for so many years.
It takes a very long time to gel with a partner sufficiently to get to the very top level.

He is 24, if he changed partners, it would take 2 to 3 years to be competitive, and way longer to make it to be anywhere near where he is now.
So why would be committing career suicide just because she doesn't have the strongest knee bend? (it has improved visibly this season I might add)
Also, she has many more great qualities that far outweigh her lack of knee bend. She is stunning IMO, and is a great partner for Bukin.

A 2nd bronze medal at Euros, beating Russia's No. 1 team on the SD and you are ready to write her off because she doesn't have as much knee bend as some other girls? :scratch3:

Knee bend is just representative for all of Stepanova’s problems!

Hubbell/Donahue and Chock/Bates are examples changing partners can be the best thing ever to happen to skaters!

Beating b/s doesn’t mean anything. they aren’t gpf medalist. Didn’t even get to the gpf.

Soloviev could have had a good career If he switched to someone with good posture and skating skills.

Bukin is horribly doomed to same fate as soloviev If he doesn’t switch to a partner with skating skills.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Hubbell/Donnahue and Chock/Bates are both in their 7th season together, hardly new teams!.
I didn’t say they were new just that changing partners was the best thing to ever happen to them in their careers. It’s not too late for Bukin.

Mattieu

Medalist
I didn’t say they were new just that changing partners was the best thing to ever happen to them in their careers. It’s not too late for Bukin.

Hubbell/Donnahue and Chock were 19 when they changed partners, that is a good time to change partners - when you are just starting out in Seniors.

Bukin will be 25 at the start of next season, 6 years older than when these guys changed partners.
That is career suicide to start again at that age!
Only if your partner was injured or quit would someone change partners that late in their career!

By the time he'd be up and running with a new partner he'd be at the age most guys are considering retirement!
It takes 2 to 3 years to gel with a new partner.
You also have to start again with zero ISU points, which is tough unless you are Virtue and Moir

bramweld

Record Breaker
Gmyers, but do any of the current female Russian ice dancers have good knee bend? Do any of them really know how to dance? The future of ice dance is squarely on the shoulders of their juniors coming up.