2017 GP Cup of China Ladies SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Cup of China Ladies SP

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Rather, it may have something to do with the selection process for the Olympic spot. The points she amasses from GP for the selection are determined by placement. If Zijun withdraws, then she to use last year's 8th place placement for points. If she competes, then the placement she gets at this event overrides last year's placement, for better or for worse. Perhaps Zijun believes 8th last year is good enough and doesn't want to risk competing, especially when she's not prepared.

Or maybe she's just injured. There's been no updates from her as to what is going on.

As far as points are concerned, rather than Zijun thinking last year's 8th place being enough, it's more likely she gives up on catching up to her teammates as she is too far behind and by withdrawing her Olympic chances are extremely slim.

This site is not so gossipy. It gives a fair report of the event and includes Zijun related speculations including fans' observation of her social media activities.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
COC ladies aka my death. I'm going to be sad at the end, regardless of results.
Yes, I like all of the skaters here...

I will be happy for the medallists, whoever they are... but sad for the other contenders...

Can only hope for full fitness, clean skates, and no regrets for everyone.

Tulipstar

Medalist
What a bloodbath. The most interesting ladies event of GP series.

Yup, it's going to be mad. Three of the four top Japanese ladies, Zagitova, Daleman all vying for the gold.
Hope Liza will be in the mix as well. Am afraid for Elena though.

Too bad Zijun withdrew.

Eclair

Medalist
If Zijun withdraws for a better ranking, that does not sound right to me; and the ranking system is also seriously flawed.
If she does not even want to compete against the other two ladies, then I have to say it is better to give the spot who wants to compete.
The bad thing though is no one can replace her spot now.

Someone wrote that she only get the ranking points for last season's GP if she withdrew due to injury. I can't imagine her getting ranking points if she withdrew because she just wanted to ...

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately live is out of the question, as a resident of US west coast this event happens at 2 AM the same day as 2 exams :( I'll wake up to the results, hopefully it won't ruin my mood for the day lol

You could stay off of the deep web of figure skating until the exams are over..maybe...I can't watch the Men till later in the day so I will have to do the same! There is something so fun about watching it live though so I feel your pain!

It would take some self-discipline, but I agree with Ylyzybyth. Don't check the results, go take your two exams, you'll feel better for them. You could also make a thread asking for some kind soul or souls to post Videos Without Spoilers (in competition order). Like cleo did for Skate Canada. Last year, I viewed some of the competitions that way, and it was really just like watching the comp live. You have to keep your eyes away from the you tube feed, though, in case enthusiasts have posted results in the title of their videos. Some do ... very irritatingly IMO.

ETA: I decided to create the thread I described in the above paragraph. I hope people respond, and I hope it helps you. Perhaps you and others would "thumbs up" my request, so people know there's more than one person interested.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Wonder if we get to 20+ pages in this thread before the SP even begins, like with Skate Canada:biggrin:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Wish I had that luck! There's no way I'm getting up at 2:30am to watch this live...

MalAssada

Medalist
This is 5am for me. Waking up at 5 is usually a big no, but my sleep cycle is so messed up recently I may be up without wanting to.

MedoLove

On the Ice
I'm so nervous, I just hope that Alina wins, podium for Wakaba, and I would like to see Elena clean, but I do not know if I could get a podium with Wakaba and Mihara as opponents.

I think Elena received the worst assignments, it would have been smarter to attend Skate Canada. But she went to all the competitions of Evgenia and Zagitova. It seems that she want to boycott herself.

I think Alina can score a lot more than in Lombardia, remember that she failed in her SP.

(If she show here in a SP and clean FS + moderately decent PCs, she can get at least 220 or more total.)

Go, Alina :cheer:

moriel

Record Breaker
Also, I just noticed this event will give us precious insights on the race for the 3rd olympic spot.

Medvedeva seems to be a lock, and Alina has very solid chances (while she is not as consistent as Med, she is not prone to Pogo style meltdowns).
Anna messed up, and probably about 0 chances (unless maybe she skates perfect clean on her second GP)
Maria has a silver in her pocket, which is a nice asset, but her other event will be a bloodbath, and she may even end out of podium.

I suppose whoever bombs here is out.

lavoix

Match Penalty
I don't expect Liza to do well.

Radionova better pull it together, Anna's misfortunes could be her opportunity.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I think Elena received the worst assignments, it would have been smarter to attend Skate Canada. But she went to all the competitions of Evgenia and Zagitova. It seems that she want to boycott herself.

Elena didn’t choose her own assignments. In fact, nobody can directly choose their own assignments.

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
I am so looking forward to this competition but also very nervous for everyone. I don't think there is anyone that I don't enjoy watching so it's hard to pick a favorite. The Japanese ladies... oh my I can't decide who I like the most so I'm excited to see them go against each other. I have been so looking forward to seeing Marin and hoping for a comeback. It's gotta be rough having back to back competitions on two different continents. Can't wait to see Wakaba again as she really threw down last time. I haven't yet been captivated by Mai completely... yet... been waiting for this competition. Then again I just can't help but adore Kaori Sakamoto all the while I'm still getting over the heartbreak of Mao retiring. Ugh. What is one to do?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is no way I will stay up all night to watch CoC live. I'll wait til midnight Friday, look ahead on the Olympic channel to see when there will be replays of CoC SPs, then get up at 7am to watch the men SP live. I can catch the rest later on the OC or IceNetwork.

Kara

Final Flight
Every single Japanese figure skating fan will be watching this event and it's on prime time 6 PM on a holiday! JSF doing some 4D chess here with this arrangement. There are so many ladies I'm rooting for in this event...Wakaba, Marin, Mai, Liza, Lena, Zagitova, Gabby, and Dabin.:cry: I want Wakaba to podium so bad with a silver to book a ticket to the final hopefully.:pray: Huge pity about Zijun and I hope she's okay too.