2017 GP NHK Ladies SP | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Ladies SP

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Unless the viewer knows the music, it is not likely they will know what story the skater is trying to tell, no matter what they do on the ice. And even if it is not related to the music, how are most going to know.

I know the basics of The Little Prince yet I still had a hard time following Nathalie and Fabian's free dance in 2014. If I didn't know the title of the music beforehand I would have been even more clueless :laugh:

I think the only ones that are self explanatory are the really iconic ones like Swan Lake or Carmen (a few others too) which is probably why we get so many of them. Anything else and its up to individual interpretation and could be anything. I could make up my own story based on what I see even with the already supplied story line :biggrin: At least Evgenia is trying to skate something rather then just skating pretty or dramatic like so many of the others. It may not be totally successful but its a valiant effort ;)

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
Just watched Mirai. Loved her “Angry Chopin” with the rotated triple axel. So different, so refreshing. I️ hope she rocks her LP too. She may not win the competition, but she certainly creates some spark when she skates like that.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Unless the viewer knows the music, it is not likely they will know what story the skater is trying to tell, no matter what they do on the ice. And even if it is not related to the music, how are most going to know.
Yes to this post. Also, I don't think most viewers watch skating for "stories."

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Yes to this post. Also, I don't think most viewers watch skating for "stories."

No I don't think they do but there is no harm is doing/trying :confused2:

Evgenia having to explain what she's trying to do doesn't make her less artistic or the program a failure. Some of the greatest dance choreographers and painters in history had to write and explain their art too. That doesn't make them any less an artist. Can you imagine attending the ballet (or even opera) without knowing any of the synopsis, or having parts of it explained, beforehand? :hpull:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
No I don't think they do but there is no harm is doing/trying :confused2:

Evgenia having to explain what she's trying to do doesn't make her less artistic or the program a failure. Some of the greatest dance choreographers and painters in history had to write and explain their art too. That doesn't make them any less an artist. Can you imagine attending the ballet (or even opera) without knowing any of the synopsis, or having parts of it explained, beforehand? :hpull:

Agreed on all counts.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Also I'd like to say miming is an art. There is nothing juvenile, cheap, tacky or unsophisticated about it at all even though fans online seem to keep implying it is. It's a skill that some of the best dancers and actors even struggle with it. It is artistry regardless of what some fans want to think. It's not the easy way out as some put it

I know the basics of The Little Prince yet I still had a hard time following Nathalie and Fabian's free dance in 2014. If I didn't know the title of the music beforehand I would have been even more clueless :laugh:

I had to read The Little Prince in college. I am still clueless. ;)

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
federation is using cheap tricks like tanos, rippons, backloading

LOL#1 why not Putin himself?
LOL#2 is cheap means harder?
LOL#3 2014 is not a tipping point
LOL#4 in times when Russia had no strong female skaters fans and commentators loved talking on lyricism and artistry. It's called "putting up a good front".

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Proud of Mirai, redemption! Keep it up Mirai! :rock:

I finally finished watching game of thrones. But I still don't get what her miming has to do with the drama.
Impressive huge jumps and speedy steps, but her spins hasn't come back fully yet.

WELCOME BACK, Polina!!!

Ot - I've never watched Game of Thrones. I'm more of a Vikings and Poldark kind of gal. So I don't get the reference to GOT but it's all good! Great job by Polina!

andromache

Record Breaker
As long as she skates relatively clean, I expect Polina to score much higher in PCS in the LP. Skate order matters.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Also I'd like to say miming is an art. There is nothing juvenile, cheap, tacky or unsophisticated about it at all even though fans online seem to keep implying it is. It's a skill that some of the best dancers and actors even struggle with it. It is artistry regardless of what some fans want to think. It's not the easy way out as some put it

No disagreement there. But Averbukh's miming choreography always comes off as hella cheesy and cringe-worthy.

What people are deeming as juvenile, cheap, and tacky is the execution of miming we're seeing here from both Med and now Polina.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Ofcourse miming CAN be an art, but everything should be examined in accordance to context. For Chaplin and singing in the rain type of performances, yes naturally.

However if it is the ONLY style you can express regardless of whatever music program you do, then no, it is limitation and poor interpretation.

lappo

Final Flight
Proud of Mirai, redemption! Keep it up Mirai! :rock:

Ot - I've never watched Game of Thrones. I'm more of a Vikings and Poldark kind of gal. So I don't get the reference to GOT but it's all good! Great job by Polina!

There is no reference to GoT, actually. She is portraying an artist who is not satisfied with her works and keeps scraping them; then, basically before the step sequence, she finally manage to fulfill her artistic vision but her life becomes suddenly empty and meaningless to her and she ends up killing herself. I don't particularly like miming but for some reasons I liked Polina's program from the first outing in Saransk! She is amazing!
BTW, GoT is amazing (both the books and the TV show!). Highly recommended! :agree:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
So its about death or isnt ? Some people here says that it is about something different.
.No she doesnt has to do movement related to death, because that music is not about death!!!She /they made a story who has nothing to do with the music, why makin up the story when you dont know how to portrait it? Who told them to use any music for a death topic? They didnt succed anyway, coz her chore is very common.

Music can be interpreted anyway one wants. Maybe Chopin WAS on a death trip when he composed it. Who knows? None of us were there to ask him. Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" wasn't necessarily about statues coming to life as far as anyone knows, yet that was the story IIRC at the 1992 Winter Olympics for Usova and Zhulin's magnificent FD. Gordeeva and Grinkov skated to Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" with a theme as well, IIRC that Ludwig himself was perhaps not thinking of when he composed his 'Sonata'. I think for them it was the story of their lives together.

If Medvedeva want's to skate to Chopin's "Nocturne" with the story that it's about a soul taking flight and coming back again or whatever, including added breathing affects, that's fine for her. The judges at one competition after another certainly don't seem to have a problem with it. If you, and others don't like it, that's fine too. If Mirai wants to skate to her version of Chopin's "Nocturne" as an angry woman possessed or like a mad young Miss Havisham who was spurned by her lover (my interpretation not necessarily Mirai's) that's fine too. To each their own. Whatever works for each skater if it helps them to express themselves as best they can. Evgenia anyway is getting huge choreo, performance and interpretation scores for her version so why in the world should she change it to suit your taste or anyone else's?

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
If Mirai wants to skate to her version of Chopin's "Nocturne" as an angry woman possessed or like a mad young Miss Havisham who was spurned by her lover (my interpretation not necessarily Mirai's) that's fine too. To each their own. Whatever works for each skater if it helps them to express themselves as best they can.

Oh, I love that interpretation!

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
There is no reference to GoT, actually. She is portraying an artist who is not satisfied with her works and keeps scraping them; then, basically before the step sequence, she finally manage to fulfill her artistic vision but her life becomes suddenly empty and meaningless to her and she ends up killing herself. I don't particularly like miming but for some reasons I liked Polina's program from the first outing in Saransk! She is amazing!
BTW, GoT is amazing (both the books and the TV show!). Highly recommended! :agree:

My baby sister and my nephew both say I should watch GOT. Perhaps I will some time. I AM rather intrigued by the image of that Hall of Heads or Faces or whatever it is....:eek:

Strangely enough, I LOVED Polina's jumps, technique, etc. but for now I wasn't particularly moved by her performances. Interesting but not memorable to me anyway. But I do believe this young lady has a great career on the way.

Oh, I love that interpretation!

That's the story that came to my head when I watched Mirai's Crazed and Angry Chopin SP and I'm sticking to it! Oh, and I forgot to add consumptive (ala Chopin). A Consumptive, Crazed and Angry 19th Century Young Woman spurned by her lover ala Miss Havisham. :biggrin: