2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Pairs FS | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Pairs FS

slider11

Medalist
I want this to happen for them but in skating you generally have to take your opportunities when you can get them. At no point have they shown they can handle the pressure and put together some magic on ice. For example, I/M are not great jumpers but they give us moments. Marissa and Mervin are still searching for a connection on the ice. I'm crossing my fingers . . .

You know, you're right about the connection. I always thought it was Shnapir's issue with the last partnership but it seems that maybe Marissa needs to work on that with Mervin. and visa versa. They slap hands at the beginning but I don't quite see the connection right before or after a performance. Maybe they need more exhibition skating just to get used to showing off one another. If they are willing to keep with it ,I think they could be the next US pair post-Olympics.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I think the Italian pair is kind of robbed. How would the third Russian pair get the same PCS as the italias’ ? Simply unfair.

The "third" Russian pair of Astakhova/Rogonov should have WON the PCS overall and easily taken 2nd place in this competition. Their choreography is more difficult and their presentation better than anyone today, very fresh and together and well projected.

Tarasova/Morosov only deserved to win this competition because of the twist, beyond that they are not so great. A/R are the better pair and if they hadn't messed up that one throw, they should have won this competition.

Marchei/Hotarek did deserve a medal though, Stolbova/Klimova were held up. I love S/K, but they skated too messy this competition to deserve a podium place.

QuadThrow

Medalist
The "third" Russian pair of Astakhova/Rogonov should have WON the PCS overall and easily taken 2nd place in this competition. Their choreography is more difficult and their presentation better than anyone today, very fresh and together and well projected.

Tarasova/Morosov only deserved to win this competition because of the twist, beyond that they are not so great. A/R are the better pair and if they hadn't messed up that one throw, they should have won this competition.

Marchei/Hotarek did deserve a medal though, Stolbova/Klimova were held up. I love S/K, but they skated too messy this competition to deserve a podium place.

I know you are abig A/R fan. I really enjoyed them with LalaLand today and their PCS were a joke. Their overall appearence is quite nice compared to T/M who have no glamour although the potential would be there.

The high PCS for T/M are kind of sad even for the athletes themselves. Lower components would give kind of feedback in terms of "try something new, change something, work on your weaknesses". But with pushing these two so much there is just one feedback given: "Stay as your are". I am not willed to believe that T/M will become Olympic Champion with this program. The Chinese, French, German and Canadian judge will hopefully decrease their PCS in Korea. The same happend in Helsinki last year.

In general my feeling is that the PCS are losing their function as the artistic mark. It is just given to the top athlete regardless of how they performed.

andromache

Record Breaker
Sad for S/K. I hope to see them improve as the season goes. I haven't connected with them since the Addams Family up until this season. I want them to do well so badly.

T/M used to be my underdog faves, but seeing them score so well with such a bad LP leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, I have to admit. Great elements and quality to their skating, but I don't want every-four-years Olympic viewers to come away scratching their heads seeing an OGM awarded to this program (unless everyone else chokes, of course).

moriel

Record Breaker

(And i´m an A/R fan)
They didnt make huge mistakes today, yes, but they as usual have a bunch of small mistakes here and there, shaky landings, small lack of synch, some elements that are a bit tight and so on, which add up and result in a loss of a few points here and there, between BV and GOE, and also i suppose some PCs drop. One of the commentators said that they are a pair for the audience - because those mistakes arent really disruptive and the performance is great for the audience, but then judges are not that nice.
They are trying to improve that, but it goes very slowly really.

Here, honestly, i would have them second. They were just not at the T/M technical level yet, no matter what, but S/K got their scores kinda inflated for the FS imho, because well, dunno, that was quite bad.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
All of those areas you mention for A/R are problems T/M have as well, and their presentation is worse on top of it (the way they excute some of their choreography in this program is just laughable). I see the judges ignoring T/M's problems because they've been anointed as "#1 Russian Pair". If they didn't have that political push, then the same "rough around the edges" criticism given to most other pairs would also be placed on them. T/M's relative technical consistency over the years and their great ability on the twist is used as an excuse to cover up all of their weaknesses, but my eyes are certainly not covered.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
All of those areas you mention for A/R are problems T/M have as well, and their presentation is worse on top of it (the way they excute some of their choreography in this program is just laughable). I see the judges ignoring T/M's problems because they've been anointed as "#1 Russian Pair". If they didn't have that political push, then the same "rough around the edges" criticism given to most other pairs would also be placed on them. T/M's relative technical consistency over the years and their great ability on the twist is used as an excuse to cover up all of their weaknesses, but my eyes are certainly not covered.
A/R seem like Diet T/M to me.
Both are about as nutritional as a blow pop. [emoji23]

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
watching top 3 FSs, I am absolutely charmed by Kristina and Alexei, this is a perfect fit for them to accommodate their quirk and personality. For me, this is more of an 'energetic' pair out there and they can pull off more dynamic stuff with varying tempo. I love the musicality of the program: how nicely elements are accentuating the music, how rhythmically paced their movement is. They sure would use more polish, connection through the routine, more finishing of elements and confidence, but they were focused and determined and it was a great boost of confidence to have this program skated clean-ish. My favourite moment was side-by-side spins - probably the most musically in synch spins I saw in a long time, this little stop in the first set - just amazing. I think that the program will grow along nicely, because it gives them a chance to give some face, attitude and make a wink to the audience in a very charming, 'La la land' way:)

I am not yet sure, if the way this 'Carmen' FS is designed, suits Ksenia and Fedor at all...It's kind of 'in the middle' right now - not too cold, not too hot, and I have a feeling that it needs to be either way, but with some emotion in it. They seemed hesitant and too cautious, choreography is actually quite nice and prmising, but the substance is not there, at least yet, expression-wise and execution-wise. I do wish they would go into it full-on crazy drama, with more physicality, less delicacy and so called 'artistic flare'. Ksenia of all Pairs woman - and maybe Diva Italiana Valentina - has all goods to pull off a memorable Carmen. I just hope we wil get a chance to see the program skated clean sooner than later to more estabilish my opinion, because now it's kind of difficult to say to be honest.

Evgenia and Vladimir, all was already said...For me, the most cringe of it all is not the theme, the dynamic/energetic image chosen from them to portray in this FS - it's the way it is packaged, Olympic champions contenders, current Worlds brozne medalist and skaters of enorous talent and potential should not be given with juvenile, cray-cray stuff. There's just too striking contrast (in not positive way) between their sleek, elegant skating, huge elements, stauesque frames and this mish-mash of music and crafty costumes. This rockabilly, rock'n'roll aesthetic could be for them a platform to challenge themselves, this elegant exterior we usually associate them with, but with this state of program, the outlook of it, it's a misopportunity for me, which is a big shame. How about to ditch squealing Augilera with her 'cherry pop' and 'panties drop' and make it full-on Elvis? How about styling Evgenia like some pin-up girl, ditching the yellow and immature polka dots WITH this sad tie of Vladimir. Just make them look young and sexy, not juvenile and crafty, there is a difference.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Regarding T/M program, I ask myself do they really see it that way in Russia? Or is that more an outsider perspective that that program is bad? I read somewhere that Evgenia Medvedeva's team had to change her (imho) superior LP to something else, because the fed didn't like it and it wasn't well received by the judges (146.72 - a bad score, okay....) So if they have the power to do that, why not invest in the discipline that has most medal chances outside of Ladies and force them to change program?