2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Free Dance | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Free Dance

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I found myself thinking, while watching Nationals: why do they pick such irritating music? I'd hate to listen to it day after day, for a year, while practicing. C/B's FD music this afternoon was so irritating that I finally hit the mute button so I could concentrate on their skating and not be distracted by that noise.
Sorry for the question, but do you dislike this particular remix of the song, that type of music in general, or Queen and/or David Bowie?

dcnative

On the Ice
I don't agree. De gustibus. I don't think today was the best performance and neither did they.

Just because they're not in your face and screaming "FEEL SOMETHING" doesn't mean they don't have emotion. Again, I get not everyone likes that, but competition is not a popularity contest.

But they are ice dancers; they aren't supposed to be skating like robots. Maybe they are spending this part of the season mastering the technique but will work on emoting from this point forward.

I found myself thinking, while watching Nationals: why do they pick such irritating music? I'd hate to listen to it day after day, for a year, while practicing. C/B's FD music this afternoon was so irritating that I finally hit the mute button so I could concentrate on their skating and not be distracted by that noise. I don't want to fall asleep while watching skaters perform to OTT subtle tunes (Shib sibs--that almost happened even though I love your skating). C/B weren't the only ones. There were others (I should've written the names down)...Amber Glenn's SP music had to be muted. Not a fan of this year's SP music for Ashley (but last year's Chin Chin was fantastic). I'm keeping the remote very close by for the rest of Nationals this weekend.

I agree that figure skating as a whole has not, since the decision to allow vocals, found the right balance between music and grating noise.

But the Shibs Arvo Part is sublime (I wish they had gone with the cello version, though). I totally agree with Tanith and Terry (NBC commentators) that the dance just flew by before we knew it, leaving us wanting more.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But they are ice dancers; they aren't supposed to be skating like robots. Maybe they are spending this part of the season mastering the technique but will work on emoting from this point forward.

But I don't think they're skating like robots. Anyway, I'm sure they'll keep working on it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree that figure skating as a whole has not, since the decision to allow vocals, found the right balance between music and grating noise.

But the Shibs Arvo Part is sublime (I wish they had gone with the cello version, though). I totally agree with Tanith and Terry (NBC commentators) that the dance just flew by before we knew it, leaving us wanting more.

Also the other thing I felt is a sense of tension. Tanith made a good point that the whole dance has you holding your breath until it's over. While this wasn't hte best peformance today, I do think they tried to still express that feeling the best they can.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, maybe I jinxed them bc I was rooting for them so hard. Like Tanith, I was looking forward to their performance more than any other in the whole ID competition. And I don't think their mistakes had anything to do w Jean-Luc's stature. I think Kaitlin let the competition nerves get to her a little more than usual. I even saw that a little in the short dance. How else do you explain that they had their absolute worst performance this entire season? My impression is that Kaitlin is a very determined, hardworking, and intelligent young lady, so hopefully this experience will just make them better and stronger.

I actually think Kaitlyn was quite intense at the start and was pushing her limits. I've never seen her so close to JL before, she usually holds back a bit - not this time. Sometimes you just overdo it a bit. I do think the ice had a sticky spot where both she and Madison slipped. It was as if the blade got a bit stuck and their bodies kept going on Kaitlyn's knee slide and Madison's step forward.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I actually think Kaitlyn was quite intense at the start and was pushing her limits. I've never seen her so close to JL before, she usually holds back a bit - not this time. Sometimes you just overdo it a bit. I do think the ice had a sticky spot where both she and Madison slipped. It was as if the blade got a bit stuck and their bodies kept going on Kaitlyn's knee slide and Madison's step forward.

I hope you're right - I prefer this explanation to nerves. Regardless, I hope they just shake it off and come back next season better than ever.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope you're right - I prefer this explanation to nerves. Regardless, I hope they just shake it off and come back next season better than ever.

I've been watching them all year, they don't seem to get that nervous. They've not really had any difficulty until today with the program.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've been watching them all year, they don't seem to get that nervous. They've not really had any difficulty until today with the program.

:agree: btw, love your avatar. Paul Wylie winning the Olympic silver was an iconic moment for me.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Very interesting....the ice dance Worlds team is pretty darn obvious, but waiting until tomorrow for pairs means they might be considering sending a team not in the top 2....

Alexa and Chris petitioned for a spot. I am sure USFS will consider this petition very seriously.

Astrid56

Final Flight
The judging panel can't ignore C/B's brilliant skate so they gave it to them but they were definitely robbed in the SD (the panel gave the Shibs enough buffer or cushion so they'll win _ 1.01). I hope the Judging in the Worlds will be different than the ones in GPF and be more fair.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The judging panel can't ignore C/B's brilliant skate so they gave it to them but they were definitely robbed in the SD (the panel gave the Shibs enough buffer or cushion so they'll win _ 1.01). I hope the Judging in the Worlds will be different than the ones in GPF and be more fair.

Yeah, when I think downtrodden by panel teams, I think of C/B. See their scores from 2013-Fall 2016 even with major mistakes and falls.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So off topic, but I really think Meryl and Charlie are giving subtle cues that they're moving on. Charlie has been VERY outspoken on Ice Network Ice Desk and then he posts this:

https://twitter.com/charlieawhite

A war with one of the vital methods through which we hold accountability over elected officials? Is this working for unity or forcing it?

In reference to a Trump statement about his "war on media."

Meryl has also been more outspoken about certain things not to mention very public about her relationship with Fedor. I think they know that U.S. Ice Dance is in good hands and that they are ready to continue focus on other pursuits.

This speaks volumes about our teams. A great thing!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Yeah and Meryl and Charlie seem VERY supportive of all three American teams. I think they are done and want the current medalists to represent the U.S. internationally.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Yeah, so they'd throw out Castelli and Tran?

I did not say they would throw anybody out. Just that they will seriously consider who has the best chance of placing highest at Worlds for the US. I am sure they will choose 2 from D/F, C/T, and SK/K. I am sure they will also consider how gaining momentum from Worlds may help a possible Olympic run for SK/K next year, vs knowing C/T are not, and will not, be Olympic eligible. Lots of factors to consider. I think the US absolutely needs SK/K for the team competition at the Olympics, and sending them to Worlds this year, if they prove ready, could be a big confidence and momentum boost for them.