2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men FS | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men FS

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I called it. I freaking called it. Max gets a SCREWED 76 and Chen gets fracking 91. I knew it.

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
I know this was exciting, but I'm going to go against the grain and say that Nathan's skate is still going to lose at least to a perfect Hanyu. At least this year. Yuzuru's technical element score at the 2015 GPF was 120.92, while Nathan's here was only .16 points higher. That's with literally the most quads and the most difficult quads attempted. We haven't seen Yuzuru anywhere near his best technically this season, but, should it happen, the score will be well over 120. Based on Nathan's GPF scores I don't think there was any inflation in the technical mark, but I'm very skeptical he'd get 91 in PCS at an international event. What he does seem to have is consistency though; if he can start back-loading the quads or goes for two Lutzes next season, then it's going to be tougher to beat. Interesting timing, too, with Canadian Nationals this weekend because I still think Patrick has them all beat on skating quality, so it'll be interesting to see if he can deliver enough technically.

All that said, well done Nathan. I thought before the free, "if he can skate like he did at the GPF, he's definitely proving himself to be a contender." I had a feeling he would go for the fifth quad too. He's definitely not backing down and is going to push the field internationally so much in the next year. It's great that the US now has a man (and potentially two with Zhou) who is helping set the pace internationally. It won't be from Chen, but is that quad axel going to come sooner than expected?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Considering this is only Vincent's 2nd season after 2 years off, he is amazing. The rate of both Nathan and Zhou's improvement is also stunning. Finally I see a bright future for US man's skating.

andromache

Record Breaker
I called it. I freaking called it. Max gets a SCREWED 76 and Chen gets fracking 91. I knew it.

Max skated with no feeling tonight. None at all. He looked stressed and nervous. His mistakes were disruptive to the performance as well.

Nathan's PCS was inflated due to politicking and general excitement - but he also sold the program, has great skating skills, and there were moments of great choreography. The PCS disparity between Max and Nathan isn't that inappropriate, IMO. His ballet training really shows through.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I love all the ballet questions in the news conference for Nathan. LOL

Christine Brennen: How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

matscol

Rinkside
Argument in favor of sending Jason: He's still likely to outscore Vincent Zhou internationally, gives a better chance at 3 spots; he should be recovered and back at full strength by Worlds.

Argument in favor of sending Vincent: Nathan looks like he's got a shot at landing 3 spots on his own; Vincent is young and eager to chase Nathan technically, throw him in the deep end and let him start building international respect ahead of the olympics.

Have they ever announced one of these with a condition? As in, Jason has to do a test skate or some such (e.g., use 4cc as a test) in a month to show he's healthy enough to be at his best?

jaylee

Medalist
I know this was exciting, but I'm going to go against the grain and say that Nathan's skate is still going to lose at least to a perfect Hanyu. At least this year.

Sure. But how often is Hanyu perfect in FS? In both SP & FS? It just changes the dynamic of the competition. Before, Hanyu knew that if he did his best, he would win comfortably--and even if he wasn't at his best, he could still likely win. Now, that buffer is smaller, the margin for error is less. It's not gone--it's just smaller. And while Nathan has maxed out technically, Nathan is young and can keep improving artistically.

Interestingly enough, Nathan's emergence has justified Hanyu's continued pushing of himself to add more quads and different kinds of quads in the FS. Javier Fernandez, on the other hand, might be caught at a bit of a disadvantage because he hasn't been trying to add a third type of quad (as far as I know). It's crazy to think that we're at a place in the men's field where two different quads isn't enough to ensure victory!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love Nathan's confidence. He doesn't shy away from saying he can win the Olympics.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Was the conference on IN?

It's on right now.

Without a quad? Nope..you can't kil it without a quad these days.

He wants to bring them back for Worlds. He couldn't really do that here given his timelime.

Honestly I'd be cool with either. Jason and Grant will get to go to 4CC (same weekend as Bavarian Open) I hope that if Vincent gets to go to Worlds, then we have an Alexei/Andrew/Tomoki Jr. World team.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Tornado warnings (I'm in Central Florida) kept interrupting the men's event. Our local station kept having the weatherman give detailed radar updates but thank goodness they didn't break in on Jason, Vincent and especially NATHAN who looked positively OLYMPIAN out there! Just WOW what a skate! Five quads - Nathan is the new Quad King!! Congrats Nathan, Vincent, and Jason! Excellent skates overall!

OT but you know your obsessed with figure skating when your incredibly annoyed rather than incredibly concerned with all of those tornado warnings LOL! :biggrin:

I REALLY missed Adam! He and Nathan are my favorites although I heart Jason too! :love: No more injuries this year please skate gods!

Lissy

Medalist
Nathan is so likeable. He seems like a kind and funny dude. It's going to be really fun to see over the next few years. I really really really hope he stays healthy. He could easily become a star in the US.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan is so likeable. He seems like a kind and funny dude. It's going to be really fun to see over the next few years. I really really really hope he stays healthy. He could easily become a star in the US.

Could be? He already is.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen is a star and he doesn't seem like a headcase even when he made mistakes in the past. There's just an air about him that is refreshing to see in American figure skating. He has what it takes to be a champion.

andromache

Record Breaker
My boyfriend about Jason, while watching the press conference: "I like him. There's something endearing about him." Awww.