2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 348 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Orlov

Medalist
Anna Tarusina will probably not get the second spot, despite the silver medal won today because of the low score.

I'm sure it will not be - it's a new system, no one really knows yet what is high score. So, important only place on podium.

mat

Rinkside
A great sight at the end of this Junior Grand Prix in Bratislava 2018. And the stands are almost empty, as last year in the same Europe. You would think that Europe sees this almost every week and it is fed up. In fact, Europe no longer cares about what such events give: the representation of youth, beauty, art, strength and rivalry. It seems Europe is internally tired, it is decrepit and even half dead. Besides, I don't understand why they hold such competitions which bring so big losses and don't attract attention at all?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Anna Tarusina jumps very low, so maybe she didn’t get high GOE ? And her 2A is very wonky-looking so maybe that played a part also, in her technical score?

Last year she was much much more confident with the jumps, they should have kept the free program the same just moving some jump in the 1st half.

Even the spins looked slower here.

Maybe she is a late bloomer.

karina17

Final Flight
It was very sweet to see both Annas being on the podium together, then doing a little victory lap with their medals while holding the Russian flag between them, with You Young happily skating behind it.

Caustica

Final Flight
Last year she was much much more confident with the jumps, they should have kept the free program the same just moving some jump in the 1st half.

Even the spins looked slower here.

Maybe she is a late bloomer.

I'm guessing she was very nervous heading into the free skate. It's understandable, given the pressure to be perfect at your first JGP for Russian ladies, and also her personal history. She looked so happy when it was over.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Anna Tarusina will probably not get the second spot, despite the silver medal won today because of the low score. (dunno why they had to change all the combos and the choreography from last season)

Surprised by Shcherbakova going a little safe here, but it was probably a good call, she needs to build consistency. Very nice dress for the FS.

If RusFed isn't stupid, she will. 186 is higher than how Panenkova won last year, and higher than all of the silver medalists' except Panenkova and Kostornaya. Second place is more than enough to make the final, even if she only gets bronze at a second event. Please, RusFed, use your brains.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'm sure it will not be - it's a new system, no one really knows yet what is high score. So, important only place on podium.

Still RusFed gives the second spot picking skaters with the highest PB, yes the system has changed in a way where if you go clean you can get even higher scores, while if you do mistakes they can punish you even harder than before.

So she will have to hope someone to bomb a program, which is rare to see from the russian ladies but not impossible.

A great sight at the end of this Junior Grand Prix in Bratislava 2018. And the stands are almost empty, as last year in the same Europe. You would think that Europe sees this almost every week and it is fed up. In fact, Europe no longer cares about what such events give: the representation of youth, beauty, art, strength and rivalry. It seems Europe is internally tired, it is decrepit and even half dead. Besides, I don't understand why they hold such competitions which bring so big losses and don't attract attention at all?

Living in Italy i can tell you people don't really care or know much about FS because TVs don't promote this sport enough. Last year JGP Egna (Italy) wasn't this empty though.

I'd also add FS needs bigger sponsors, that's part of the reason why other sports are soo popular.

But as already stated in the past i would like to see more competitions in other part of the world: last year JGP Brisbane was sold-out, so there is clearly a growing interest there.

bewitched

On the Ice
I liked Anna Tarusina's personality on ice, I hope she will get a second JGP event!

Anna S.'s dress... gives me Mao vibes, the terrible multicoloured dresses with collars that are absolutely not suitable for young girls. I hope Olga will come up with something better for later competitions.

Orlov

Medalist
If RusFed isn't stupid, she will. 186 is higher than how Panenkova won last year, and higher than all of the silver medalists' except Panenkova and Kostornaya. Second place is more than enough to make the final, even if she only gets bronze at a second event. Please, RusFed, use your brains.

Please leave RusFed alone :) RusFed peacefully ate his donut, rejoicing at the victory of their skaters. And he suddenly became guilty.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
No UR for Tarusina. Not even the shaky 3S. The issue was the final spin was invalidated. She would have beaten Yuhana Yokoi in the free skate otherwise. Anyone know why?

karina17

Final Flight
I checked the protocols. Tarusina’s last spin became invalid, I just watched her free skate again and realised...she did CCoSp twice and lost about 4+ points for that silly mistake. If she hadn’t done that, her competition score would’ve reached 190+.

Maybe RusFed will take that into account when considering whether she should have a second assignment? I guess it was unintentional, because that really was a silly mistake to make at the JGP... :palmf:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I just re-watched Tarusina trying to figure out the spin. She was amazing. Fantastic on her step sequence and so expressive throughout. The only obvious issue was the 3S, slight negative GOE but she got it done. They would be stupid not to give a 2nd place finisher a second assignment considering that one Russian has to come in second and you have a great chance of making the final with two 2nd place or even a 2nd and a 3rd. Next on the list is Vasilieva and Gulyakova and I doubt either could do any better against Eteri's girls. The only way I could see her being in trouble is if they do an 8/6 to try to squeeze in Gubanova and she ends up being one of the low scores that gets bumped out. Still lots could happen before then. I love her and I hope we will see her again, and then again in the final.

nipman

On the Ice
As we can see, Anna doesn't need any quad to win the competition with ease, so my question is: will Eteri let Trusova take the same strategy, or push her to jump 3 quads as in the test skate?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am also wondering what happened with her spin.

I’m going to quote another poster who explained it well in the JGP thread :)

Originally Posted by cohen-esque
She did a flying sit spin, a combination spin with a change of foot, and then another full combination spin with a change of foot.

The FS needs to have a spin in one position, a flying spin, and a combination spin, and they all need to be of “different character.” So by the requirement she either had the flying and combination spin but not the one-position spin, or she had the one positions spin and a combination spin but not the flying spin (depends how you’d count the FSSp) and then the second CCoSp was invalid anyway, since she’d already done one.

karina17

Final Flight
As we can see, Anna doesn't need any quad to win the competition with ease, so my question is: will Eteri let Trusova take the same strategy, or push her to jump 3 quads as in the test skate?

I would predict that Eteri lets Trusova go with 3 quads. They’ve certainly never held back with her before.

It seems like Trusova is their biggest risk-taker, Kostornaya is their insurance, and Shcherbakova can be either.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
I checked the protocols. Tarusina’s last spin became invalid, I just watched her free skate again and realised...she did CCoSp twice and lost about 4+ points for that silly mistake. If she hadn’t done that, her competition score would’ve reached 190+.

Maybe RusFed will take that into account when considering whether she should have a second assignment? I guess it was unintentional, because that really was a silly mistake to make at the JGP... :palmf:

Yeah, I was waiting 195+ for her and 210+ for another Anya but :eek:hwell:

NaVi

Medalist
I haven't watched too many programs from this season yet... basically Trusova, Shcherbakova, and Tarusina... but I'm not really liking what I'm seeing artistically. The only program I've seen thus far that is better than OK is Trusova's Kill Bill SP which I really like. It seems like a lot is just being phoned in. Skaters aren't able to add anything meaningful to the music. There's little ability to emote anything. There are a lot of rehearsed movements that you can tell too easily that they are rehearsed. There's little projection onto anything... not the judges and not the crowd. The step sequences are less crisp and meaningful which is really important when much outside the step sequence is just jump to jump with a trick or two in between. And the problem with tanos and rippons is that to some extent that replaces presentation because it's what catches the eye and thus more subtle things won't catch the eye. I really liked the eteri style 4 to 3 years ago but now I'm starting to have doubts.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Unfortunately I couldn‘t watch the FS live due to poor internet connection... But after having watched both Anna‘s FS: I like Tarusina more and more. Especially with her background story, the accident. She didn’t have a lot of luck and she deserves it to do so well after all the hardships she went through. The score seemed a bit low but if the spin was completely invalid then that makes more sense. Congrats to her silver medal and I do hope rusfed isn‘t stupid and doesn‘t give her a second assignment. :palmf: She is very consistent and has actually quite a big chance of making the final. Have some sense please, rusfed!

Anna S. No quad lutz so she’ll probably not be the first lady ever to land one which is a bit unfortunate but as we‘ve seen, she doesn‘t need one to win anyway. I still don‘t love her FS, I can‘t help but compare it to her SP and well, I like the latter so much more. Same with the dresses. But obviously she‘s beautiful in both and the FS does grow on me, especially since she did so well and it helped her to win! Glad the coaches aren’t pushing her as the quad might have put too much pressure on her and she might have had problems again like at the test skates. Still... As much as I like Trusova, I‘d have loved to see a record a la: ”Anna Shcherbakova: first lady in history to land a 4Lz in competition“ But maybe she‘ll still get the chance. Either way, I‘m proud of her. :)