2018-2019 State of Japanese Men's Skating | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 State of Japanese Men's Skating

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
In fact the selection used to be the nationals top 3 go to Worlds , but the criteria of taking into account past records was added in before Sochi, and later used in favour of Takahashi who did not get on the podium at nationals in 2013. So Hanyu is not the first person to rely on the exception and he won't be the last.

Curiously, I read recently that the JSF selection criteria did take into account past records for their third spot but that the requirement of mandatory Nationals participation came into effect just before Sochi, reason why maybe Takahashi felt forced to compete even while recovering from an injury; I guess JSF did that because of the extremely deep men's field at the time. They went back on that Nationals participation requirement after, maybe because the field thinned or because they saw the consequences of forcing injured skaters to participate in Nationals to assure themselves a spot. Can anyone find confirmation of the requirements for spots prior to the 2013-2014 season?

(I guess I'm beating the dead horse too but now I'm curious)

riminin

Rinkside
Curiously, I read recently that the JSF selection criteria did take into account past records for their third spot but that the requirement of mandatory Nationals participation came into effect just before Sochi, reason why maybe Takahashi felt forced to compete even while recovering from an injury; I guess JSF did that because of the extremely deep men's field at the time. They went back on that Nationals participation requirement after, maybe because the field thinned or because they saw the consequences of forcing injured skaters to participate in Nationals to assure themselves a spot. Can anyone find confirmation of the requirements for spots prior to the 2013-2014 season?

(I guess I'm beating the dead horse too but now I'm curious)

I have no time right now to read through them but here is a beautiful collection of past criteria:

https://twitter.com/fs_glico/status/1068547548011319297
https://twitter.com/fs_glico/status/1068547575827972096

Kelti

Rinkside
There seems to be a confusion about the selection of Men:scratch2: And that's because of an intentionally twisted tweet? (btw I sincerely recommend everybody to block this account not to be misguided in the future again). The quoted article is not detailed but in no way allows such interpretation in my opinion.

Here's more detailed article. https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20181224-00000584-sanspo-spo

"男子は3連覇を飾った宇野昌磨(21)=トヨタ自動車、五輪2連覇の羽生結弦(24)=ANA=に加え、今季現役に復帰した高橋大輔(32)=関大KFSC=が選出されたが辞退し、田中刑事(24)=倉敷芸術科学大大学院=が選ばれた。In addition to 3-time national champion Shoma Uno and 2-time Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu, Daisuke Takahashi who made a comeback this season was also selected yet declined, so Keiji Tanaka was selected..

Thank you for the clarification. I'm a bit surprised by the original poster who shared and translated this clearly flawed tweet as she has been a long time follower of Japanese skaters & JSF, but I guess everyone has their sentimental fav :\

ankifeather

Final Flight
I have no time right now to read through them but here is a beautiful collection of past criteria:

https://twitter.com/fs_glico/status/1068547548011319297
https://twitter.com/fs_glico/status/1068547575827972096

Thanks for the link. So from 2010 to 2013 Worlds , the participants are selected from considering a combination of nationals top 3, season grand prix top 3, world ranking top 3. Someone with good Worlds placement but missed one of the criteria could be considered depending on their conditions by Worlds. The participants selected for these 4 years basically correspondended with the nationals top 3. Starting from the Sochi season, the selection criteria became the first candidate is the winner of nationals, the second candidate is selected from the silver or bronze of nationals taking into account grand prix results. The third candidate is someone not meeting the first or second candidate criteria, but has a good body of work including Worlds standing, season best scores and past Worlds ranking taken into account. So this third specific category of candidate that Takahashi and Hanyu relied on for both their Olympics selection which do not take into account Nationals top 3 at all was introduced in 2014 and used till now. Also mandatory participation in nationals was introduced in 2013 and removed again in 2015 as someone mentioned above.

sun110

Final Flight
Thank you for the clarification. I'm a bit surprised by the original poster who shared and translated this clearly flawed tweet as she has been a long time follower of Japanese skaters & JSF, but I guess everyone has their sentimental fav :\

Just Antis trying stir the pot. If you pay attention to whose tweets she/him often retweets, you will know.:biggrin:

lzxnl

Final Flight
I read through it and it is a very simple and clear article. If anything, in the subtitle, Hanyu's name appears first in the line of the three Worlds candidates, and in the content , him making the team was described first before anyone else. In Japan, when your name appears first in line, it means you are more important. The content then went on to explain that Shoma is the first candidate, Keiji is the second candidate, Hanyu is the third candidate. Takahashi declined to participate.
No where did it ever said that Hanyu got in due to Daisuke declining. In other words it is nothing more than an anti-Hanyu tweeter deliberately twisting what the article said in pursuit of trouble.

JSF did not openly guarantee Hanyu a spot before nationals, but they released a statement saying that there is criteria that will allow him to participate in Worlds and for him to focus on that even if he missed nationals due to injury. And they have every right to do so based on his brilliant performance in the first half of the season, just like Russian Fed asked Mishin to prepare Liza for Worlds despite she missed nationals too. Also if it ever came down to both Shoma and Hanyu being injured and can't attend nationals, JSF will change or read the rules in some way to make both go to Worlds because JSF is not stupid. There are pretty much only three gold men contenders left in the world right now, and Japan holds two, something other countries can only envy.

In fact the selection used to be the nationals top 3 go to Worlds , but the criteria of taking into account past records was added in before Sochi, and later used in favour of Takahashi who did not get on the podium at nationals in 2013. So Hanyu is not the first person to rely on the exception and he won't be the last.

Worlds is going to get more interesting now that Jin Boyang is back with his 4Lz. Landed two of them cleanly across both his programs and scored a whopping 210 points in his FS (albeit with PCS inflation, but a clean 4 quad 2 3A skate nonetheless). If Jin doesn't falter, we'll have four gold medal contenders in total now.

sun110

Final Flight
Worlds is going to get more interesting now that Jin Boyang is back with his 4Lz. Landed two of them cleanly across both his programs and scored a whopping 210 points in his FS (albeit with PCS inflation, but a clean 4 quad 2 3A skate nonetheless). If Jin doesn't falter, we'll have four gold medal contenders in total now.

He did a 3 quad program. But it's more than enough for national. I think he will add 4S in 4CC, if he can somehow stabilize it more.
Shoma is meant to get 4cc gold this season (placed 5,4,3,2 in the past). Boyang might be the only other contender, depends on how well he can get back in form.

eaglehelang

Final Flight

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
He did a 3 quad program. But it's more than enough for national. I think he will add 4S in 4CC, if he can somehow stabilize it more.
Shoma is meant to get 4cc gold this season (placed 5,4,3,2 in the past). Boyang might be the only other contender, depends on how well he can get back in form.

Are we sure Nathan is skipping 4cc? it is in CA .. would be strange tto skip it no?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

His real name is Boyang "i wake up in 2nd part of the season" Jin.
If he's in good shape the competition will be more interesting. Still, clean-ish Shoma can get that gold.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
His real name is Boyang "i wake up in 2nd part of the season" Jin.
If he's in good shape the competition will be more interesting. Still, clean-ish Shoma can get that gold.

I'm torn. I so want Shoma to get his first big international gold, he deserves it.... but I love Boyang too.

Damnit boys, stop all being so lovable!!!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I'm torn. I so want Shoma to get his first big international gold, he deserves it.... but I love Boyang too.

Damnit boys, stop all being so lovable!!!

Better to see it on the positive side. Whoever will win you will be happy:laugh:
I love both so as long as they are 1-2 (without scandal on scoring) there is no problem.

lzxnl

Final Flight
If Boyang DOES put in 4 clean quads at 4CC and that 3T, it'll be interesting. He's missing a bit atm; those 2Ts are hurting him.

And Shoma needs to go clean. GPF wasn't encouraging

skatenewbie

Medalist
If Boyang DOES put in 4 clean quads at 4CC and that 3T, it'll be interesting. He's missing a bit atm; those 2Ts are hurting him.

And Shoma needs to go clean. GPF wasn't encouraging
i think its better for Shoma to put one of the combos in 1st half, 3A-1Lo-3F and 3S-3T maybe a bit much, he often botch both, stepout, falls...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
To be honest... anyone wants that 4CC gold so much? It is cursed... :dev3:

:p What it is is very hard to win in the men's event right now. Hard enough that if you already have the season's GP title or you aren't 100% in shape, you might be very wary of signing up for the event. But winning 4CCs is a mighty good sign that you are a force to be reckoned with at the World Championships.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand