2018 Golden Spin of Zagreb Pairs Free Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Golden Spin of Zagreb Pairs Free Skate

s_parks

Record Breaker
What happened after the 2nd throw? I looked away for a couple of seconds. Is Ashley okay?
edit: oh, I see. Hope nothing's wrong.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Ashley does not look good, she is probably scared out of her mind and finished on adrenaline... Hope it is nothing serious! :(

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
God, this is terrible yet she still shows thumbs up, a heroine!!! I cannot imagine how bad Tim must feel...

oly2018

Final Flight
As someone who is currently at home with a concussion, that was terrifying. They should have stopped right there. They gained nothing from continuing.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
OMG why didn't they just stop. That was one of the most terrifying skates I have seen in a long time. Hope she is ok

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
What a sad end to this competion. Hopefully the neck brace is only precaution.

I so rooted for them to win.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, oh. oh. Let's all just hope and pray that Ashley's all right and will suffer no bad effects. :ghug:

I was very glad to see all the attention she was getting and that they were doing everything to help right away. Heavens.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Pair girls are tough, tough cookies. I was hoping she'd not keep skating but I guess the "finish the program" training is very strong.

gold12345

Medalist
Such a rough and scary second half of that program for Cain and LeDuc. I'm relieved she was able to walk away from that fall on her neck and finish the last seconds of the program. The neck brace looks precautionary, she seemed to be moving her neck okay.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As someone who is currently at home with a concussion, that was terrifying. They should have stopped right there. They gained nothing from continuing.

I hope you're recovering well. :ghug: Take care.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland

I hope your recovery is going well. I used to ride horses competitively and once fell off onto a jump. Got concussed and broke my back (hairline fracture of one of the less important vertebrae so I could still move) but for some reason got back up and finished the course. I don't have much memory of it to be honest but in the moment, I wasn't thinking "I'm hurt, I should stop because it isn't safe to continue." I wasn't thinking at all. When something knocks your lights out like that sometimes your body goes into autopilot and you continue because your muscle memory and your training override your common sense. Could be what happened here.

BUT the referee has the power to stop a program and they absolutely should have called for a halt.

Seeing her legs flop down completely limp like that and that she couldn't stand up straight after the adrenaline of the performance wore off worries me. That was a terrible fall and I hope she isn't seriously injured.

oly2018

Final Flight
Thanks for the well wishes! I'm on the mend.

Concussions should be taken seriously and I hope they take the time they need. I actually had a similar experience. I was dazed and assumed everything was fine. It wasnt untik the next morning I realized something was wrong.

I'm glad Ashley has a whole team around her. It was really scary to see her just laying there for 15 seconds.

rmaap1

Rinkside
Yeah I don't get why the referee didn't blow the whistle! I am more familiar with synchro, but for the most part, skaters will keep skating until they hear the whistle.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This should never have been Ashley’s call to make, the poor girl was suffering the effects of a nasty fall.

The referee should absolutely have stepped in and stopped the skate.

Prayers she is OK:pray: