2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Free Skate | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Free Skate

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I just watched the podium ceremony, lmao!

Just how much stuff did they expect those poor women to hold? LOL

"Congrats on your win, here's a big pink hexagon, a fancy timepiece, and a bouquet of flowers. Now, don't drop it while you watch a digital display of your flag!"

:rofl2:

If I had been standing on that disco podium, I know I would've dropped one of those items, just because I have that kind of luck!

The icing on the cake was the fact that the screen that had the flags on it had dead pixels right in the centre!

Nika09

On the Ice
Unfortunate things keep happening with sweetheart Mai, despite her talent and consistency, make my heart aching :(

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I hope you know you’re completely transparent in your fake concern.

I am sure a lot of people who started multiple Medvedeva threads 2-3 years ago and who post fake concerns about her now will be genuinely happy if she ends her career after this season.

There is no long term. She misses the team this season - she never gets into the team again.

Still... it never hurts to wish her good fortune. If she never wins another World Championship, well, there are many fine skaters who never win anything much.

Was it a mistake for Evgenia to change coaches? If so, it was her choice and she (not us) is the one who will live by the consequences.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Still... it never hurts to wish her good fortune. If she never wins another World Championship, well, there are many fine skaters who never win anything much.

Was it a mistake for Evgenia to change coaches? If so, it was her choice and she (not us) is the one who will live by the consequences.

You know, there is a notion of sunk costs. Her decision half a year ago should be treated as such. Her new decisions should be free of past decisions bias. I know that it may be very difficultt emotionally. But still, her career of a top skater is at stake.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
There is no long term. She misses the team this season - she never gets into the team again.

What bugs me about your incessant complaining about Evgenia's current situation is that you talk as if there was an alternative that she was too stubborn to take and she broke a thing that worked. But in reality she wouldn't be standing a considerably better chance to make the team this year if she was still with Eteri. She was visibly struggling last season already. So calm down and we'll see what happens next.

binky

Rinkside
evgenia is the most natural skater but the short program is definitely not for her. what were they thinking! and the long program is completely forgetable.
this is a big problem.

wolfskater

Spectator
evgenia is the most natural skater but the short program is definitely not for her. what were they thinking! and the long program is completely forgetable.
this is a big problem.

The choreography of the SP is very poor - especially those weird, jerky movements at the start and the skipping in the middle section. The blue dress bears no relation to the program and makes her look matronly. The black dress she wore for the ACI was much more flattering and appropriate for the music.

The LP is not as bad (just unoriginal) and the dress is okay but she deserves much better than this.

twirlingblades

Medalist
Also, to people complaining how "immediatists" some folks here are.
Zhenya had one bad competition. Then another bad competition. Then another bad competition. It keeps happening and we see a pattern.
We find some decisions of her teams debatable (programs, packaging, changing everything at once - jump technique and jump layout), and that makes us also doubt their long term strategy.

Did anyone expect her to have a Evgenia-level season though? What she’s doing is an 18-month process. Maybe two years. Look at Kaetlyn 3 seasons ago. Mao also did the same thing.

The expectations put on Evgenia this season are ridiculous and unachievable, imo. She also had an injury last season, let’s not forget.

This is the perfect time to rework everything- it’s right after an Olympic season. She has a solid 2 years to work things out.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
What bugs me about your incessant complaining about Evgenia's current situation is that you talk as if there was an alternative that she was too stubborn to take and she broke a thing that worked. But in reality she wouldn't be standing a considerably better chance to make the team this year if she was still with Eteri. She was visibly struggling last season already. So calm down and we'll see what happens next.

And what bugs me is your belief that she would have the same issues if she stayed. She was perfect just half a year ago. That's the hard fact that the whole world saw. The rest is just theories and plays of imagination.

And I am not calm because I am sad after France. I had hopes - I bet on her win in the prediction game. But my 0 points is the smallest of the problems. Looking at them in K&C I saw people who had no clue why it happened. And that bothers me because although Medvedeva owes me nothing I care about her and her results. And I am sure that the Nationals is the final battle and all long-term talks are just losers' c*ap.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
And what bugs me is your belief that she would have the same issues if she stayed. She was perfect just half a year ago. That's the hard fact that the whole world saw. The rest is just theories and plays of imagination.

First, it’s clear that there a bunch of people whose minds aren’t going to change regarding the move to Orser, so every discussion of this becomes trench warfare on both sides. Maybe give it a rest. Whether you’re right or wrong, you’re not persuading anyone.

Second, you’re conveniently ignoring a crucial “hard fact” — that Medvedeva herself said the only way for both her and Eteri to continue was by ending their partnership. Whether or not you think Medvedeva did the right thing is immaterial. She herself has said, as clearly as possible, that there was no “stay with Eteri” option. If you’re a fan of her, that means respecting her decisions as an adult (even if you disagree) and trusting in what she’s said. Otherwise, you’re really just a fan of Eteri and the Sambo 70 crew, and Medvedeva’s own feelings and desires are irrelevant.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just catching up w ladies and haven’t read many of the posts here — I decided to watch a hockey game instead of the second group of ladies FS live, lol. In hindsight I’m glad I did, given that my team won, and that Evgenia didn’t medal or qualify for the GPF. :sad21: It was tough to see Evgenia in this position, but it’s unrealistic to expect drastic results only a few months after she (courageously) upended everything in her training and her life. She has the heart, mind, talent, and intelligence of a champion, and I have every faith she’ll rise again.

It was so nice to see the others in the top five have good, if not perfect, performances. Rika is such an exciting and superbly athletic fireball! Bradie showed her trademark consistency (and I loved seeing her showing of emotion after she finished). Marin’s star power would easily win the judges over if she just stopped popping, but other than that she had a lovely performance. Mai is very underrated, imo — she has a wonderful lightness/floating quality to her skating that is unique to her and reflects her joy of skating — oh, if only she hadn’t popped that sal :(.... And finally, I was so proud of Stasya for coming back after missing her combo in the short and pulling out another clean FS at a GP — it pains me that she’s so maligned sometimes, because I think she has wonderful qualities, and I hope she’ll continue to improve and gain confidence.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I didn't realize it was the same layout for quite that long. That's insane!

Same layout for her short programmes too, at least the senior ones. (Push backward)/CSp/StSq/3F-3T/3Lo/2A/CCoSp/LSp.

Even where she performed the elements doesn’t change. Music isn’t vastly different in tempo across seasons. She was very good at selling her programmes and making them seem different each time, but the actual elements — transitions, jumps, spins, their distribution in the programme and on the ice — haven’t changed for the overwhelming majority of her skating career. That alone would be a major disruption to routine and cause inconsistency.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
First, it’s clear that there a bunch of people whose minds aren’t going to change regarding the move to Orser, so every discussion of this becomes trench warfare on both sides. Maybe give it a rest. Whether you’re right or wrong, you’re not persuading anyone.

Second, you’re conveniently ignoring a crucial “hard fact” — that Medvedeva herself said the only way for both her and Eteri to continue was by ending their partnership. Whether or not you think Medvedeva did the right thing is immaterial. She herself has said, as clearly as possible, that there was no “stay with Eteri” option. If you’re a fan of her, that means respecting her decisions as an adult (even if you agree) and trusting in what she’s said. Otherwise, you’re really just a fan of Eteri and the Sambo 70 crew, and Medvedeva’s own feelings and desires are irrelevant.

Did she? I can remember about her reasoning why she went to Orser but I cannot remember that she said anything about "the only way for both her and Eteri to continue". If she said this I agree that she burned the bridges and it makes little sense to discuss her coming back at least at this stage.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Are you sure? I guess we all agree that Tuktamysheva has a good chance of making the team this season and I'm sure many people thought that she wouldn't have the chance to make the team ever again. Mishin believed in Tuktamysheva and Medvedeva certainly needs a coach who believes in her (and only she knows wether Orser is this coach for her or not).
I just hope for her, that whoever finances her training/coaching doesn't want immediate results. She probably needs a a year or two, just like Tuktamysheva did.
And I'm certainly not Medvedeva's biggest fan, but I like it, when the former champions are competing, I like the variety and I like to watch experienced skaters.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Are you sure? I guess we all agree that Tuktamysheva has a good chance of making the team this season and I'm sure many people thought that she wouldn't have the chance to make the team ever again. Mishin believed in Tuktamysheva and Medvedeva certainly needs a coach who believes in her (and only she knows wether Orser is this coach for her or not).
I just hope for her, that whoever finances her training/coaching doesn't want immediate results. She probably needs a a year or two, just like Tuktamysheva did.
And I'm certainly not Medvedeva's biggest fan, but I like it, when the former champions are competing, I like the variety and I like to watch experienced skaters.

I am sure.

I already explained how their cases are completely different in Russian ladies thread. Im kurze, Liza's problem was her losing motivation. Now she got it back. She changed nothing and no one from her stellar 2015 season. She just started to spend more time on the rink now. And she has 3A.

Zhenya has a lot of motivation - no one would argue about that.

And the situation will be different. Liza does not have a comeback in the season when 2 quad juniors go senior.