2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Free Skate | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Free Skate

melgirl25

Medalist
You know, I just went back and listened to that and I have to disagree. If he’d gone up to Rika and said “god, you won with 205? Not much of a win!”I’d call that disrespectful and trying to diminish someone’s accomplishments. That’s not even close to what happened here.

Evgenia had just gotten her scores. She was about to cry. Brian clearly didn’t know what to say and started babbling. He didn’t know what people could or couldn’t hear. Really, unless you are a figure skating fan listening really really hard to what he is saying and looking for insults, all you can really hear is, “205 is...”. There was no implication that Rika was a bad skater or didn’t deserve to win or that Evgeniya should have beaten her despite giving a bad performance.

In fact, a person who was inclined to be charitable might have interpreted Brian’s remarks to Zhenya as saying, you scored almost 205 earlier this season, you’ll be able to score that much again, so even though you’re struggling right now, just give it time.

Basically, I don’t think it’s necessary to create drama where there is none.

I agree with this. In situations like this the perfect words don't come out. Please let's not stir the pot when there is already so much disappointment!

yude

Record Breaker
I might be in the minority but I much prefer current Evgenia's skating and programs to in the past :scard7: (and I am saying this her jumps are still not my cup of tea.)

Marin seems to be positive toward her next competition (Japanese nationals), I hope Evgenia is, too. Changing coach is never be easy to every athlete.

Congratulations to all the medalists, happy for Mai and Rika :clap:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Not trying to start drama - I just think it was rude. And that’s my opinion.

And come on - like Orser would go up to another skater and say something like that to them. Now that’s really outside of the realm of possibility.

moriel

Record Breaker
I stick to the rude team.
I also think that a stressful situation is not an excuse. In fact, i stick to the oppinion that under stress, people reveal their true selves. If you don't know what to say, hug or pat as many coaches do.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Kihara, Marin, Tennellet al must be thrilled. It is really a confidence boost. Poor Evgenia andI say thatbecause I thinksheknewshehad to improve and change but sadly so far it isn't working,it will taketime andof course who knowsjust how successfulshe will be. Remember Mao Asada she too was on top andshe didsort ofcomebackbut she always struggled with learningnewtechnique. It isn't easy. part of the challenge is you are under a microscope (moreso with this GS Forum lol) every bobble, every fall, every comment is scrutinized (and every sequin,bugle bead or feather too). I wish Evgenia the best and I was hoping we would see her improve but it lookslikeshe is not in the best of places. She has a month to improve her jumps and programs for Russian Nats. Let's hope for her to be able to smile again.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I prefer Kaori to Mai, so this might be biased but Mai's SP is just one of the worst Ladies SP's this season to me and I don't think she deserves high PCS for it. And while her jumps are not that bad, Kaori's jumps are much better. Higher, faster...and she has something else, a little bit of an X-factor compared to Mai. Mai is the softer type and perhaps this is just a matter of taste in what one likes, but I'm glad Kaori made the GPF. If I had the choice I would swap Sofia for Mai, but that's unfair because Sofia did really well in her GP's and deserves her place.
I was talking strictly about how well they skated against their opponents in their grand prix performances. Nothing to do with preference or scoring potential. Basically Kaori was very fortunate to get bronze in Helsinki after she fell twice in the short. Mai was unfortunate to get 4th at NHK after her excellent performances. That was the difference in making GPF or not.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Not trying to start drama - I just think it was rude. And that’s my opinion.

And come on - like Orser would go up to another skater and say something like that to them. Now that’s really outside of the realm of possibility.

Yes of course you’re entitled to your opinion. But to your point, no I don’t think he would ever go up to another skater and say anything like that. Which begs the question why you think he would do so here, at a time when his focus was entirely on his own skater.

@moriel, all I’ll say is that I’m not surprised that you judge others harshly and in my view wrongly.

lady_bee

Medalist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5wcsACA6us

I heard about the disco ball podium and "We are the Champions", but seeing it in action is so much funnier. And the video flags! Lol.

Thank you!
They are really hexagons :eeking: and presented by president of one of sponsor companies, TOKIO INKARAMI:rolleye:
It makes me wonder if Ohyamashiki(大山式), the company of big foot ad. at GP Fin., was sponsoring this competition, the "medal" could have the shape of ・・・ ?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I stick to the rude team.
I also think that a stressful situation is not an excuse. In fact, i stick to the oppinion that under stress, people reveal their true selves. If you don't know what to say, hug or pat as many coaches do.

Which applies to all coaches everywhere......;) even in the face of what they see as others’ rudeness. But they are humans and they do react.

Personally, I saw nothing that Brian did in this comp that was cause for criticism. I think Brian and Zhenya are unhappy with the results and need to address the results. My personal opinion is that they will, but that of course remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I was sooo tired when I watched the ladies FS, 4AM here in Japan, so my recollection is hazy.
But what stuck in my mind is that Rika is a Force to be reckoned with...even when not perfect, she has quality in other elements that will make up the difference.
I will ALWAYS cheer for Mai. She did well here and she always does well. I agree she may need to change her programs drastically next year to make the judges sit up and take notice of her good qualities. --She is so elegant, great SS, good competitive nerves and I could go on-and-on. But if the judges aren't convinced, she'll need to think about how to go about convincing them.
I'm already sold. :luv17:

When a skater who has been as unbelievably consistent as Evgenia goes through a steep decline, or a rough patch, it is natural to want to figure out why. There could be many reasons, and the likely hood is that there are many reasons. All listed in the thread and debated.

It does make me uncomfortable, however, to see so much personal speculation happen when someone is having a rough time. -I hope the skaters do not read the opinions of others or take them seriously. But many young skaters do read such things and it's hurtful to them. If a young person reads a bunch of posts about how they are past it, that they have lost their nerve, they made the wrong decision etc. etc. it's not going to help them have confidence in the future, and confidence is integral to an athlete's performance.
Like Ted Barton has said, skaters know when they mess up. They don't need to be reminded about it from random people. What they need is support and encouragement.

So Evgenia, I'm not a dedicated fan, but I support you! Only you know how hard this road has been. You've made some tough decisions and will need to make more in the future but I wish you the very best. :hap10:

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am sorry for Evghenia but I am more mad on people who consider she cannot jump, that the move to Canada was a failure. Yes, it is difficult to watch Medvedeva lose confidence, but that's normal. She has lost the Olympic title without making any mistake, she had a stress fracture, moved over the ocean... She made 2 costly mistakes and that was it. She looked nervous. I wish her the best. She is a gorgeous skater who does not have to prove anything. She only needs to enjoy skating.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also... *sprays the hose on this dumpster fire of a thread*

Come on guys, this Armageddon outlook is getting old.

I am sending positive vibes to Evgenia. She’s not the first skater who’s hit a bump in the road a few seasons after establishing herself as a top contender, and she certainly won’t be the last.

yyzskater

On the Ice
Just a casual observation from a parent who has spent many hours in a rink watching skaters grow and develop...

A vast majority of skaters will have difficulties when they hit puberty regardless of the coach. The extra height, weight, proportions, etc just causes things to go haywire. Some skaters seem to overcome it quicker than others. But it is something they all need to work through. I don't know if Eteri's coaching style is truly only for the prepubescent or if it's due to the federation that she is tied to. The Russian fed doesn't seem to be the type to wait around for skaters to adjust to their growth as there are so many skaters in the pipeline to quickly replace any skater. Unlike the Canadian federation that has the ability to give skaters multiple chances due to the lack of skaters at the elite level. It Kaetlyn was in Russia, she probably would not have been given the opportunity to come back from that severe leg injury and be totally retrained which eventually led her to be world champion. Eteri may not have the luxury of time to help her skaters adjust to their growth and it may be easier to just keep churning out new skaters.

Then again, I could be totally wrong.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Also... *sprays the hose on this dumpster fire of a thread*

Come on guys, this Armageddon outlook is getting old.

I am sending positive vibes to Evgenia. She’s not the first skater who’s hit a bump in the road a few seasons after establishing herself as a top contender, and she certainly won’t be the last.

ITA, but after watching the JGPF (or was it Jr. Worlds?) last season, I wouldnt want to be ANY Sr. Russian Lady except Alina next season..... Johnny Weir says there are now 7 year olds in Russia you can do all their triples....wishing the best for EM...

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just watched the podium ceremony, lmao!

Just how much stuff did they expect those poor women to hold? LOL

"Congrats on your win, here's a big pink hexagon, a fancy timepiece, and a bouquet of flowers. Now, don't drop it while you watch a digital display of your flag!"

:rofl2:

If I had been standing on that disco podium, I know I would've dropped one of those items, just because I have that kind of luck!

moriel

Record Breaker
Just a casual observation from a parent who has spent many hours in a rink watching skaters grow and develop...

A vast majority of skaters will have difficulties when they hit puberty regardless of the coach. The extra height, weight, proportions, etc just causes things to go haywire. Some skaters seem to overcome it quicker than others. But it is something they all need to work through. I don't know if Eteri's coaching style is truly only for the prepubescent or if it's due to the federation that she is tied to. The Russian fed doesn't seem to be the type to wait around for skaters to adjust to their growth as there are so many skaters in the pipeline to quickly replace any skater. Unlike the Canadian federation that has the ability to give skaters multiple chances due to the lack of skaters at the elite level. It Kaetlyn was in Russia, she probably would not have been given the opportunity to come back from that severe leg injury and be totally retrained which eventually led her to be world champion. Eteri may not have the luxury of time to help her skaters adjust to their growth and it may be easier to just keep churning out new skaters.

Then again, I could be totally wrong.

Its not about being easier.
You have a bunch of talented girls, and they totally deserve the same oportunity.
Russian ladies are free to skate as long as they wants - see Leonova, see Tuktik, see Sotnikova who hasn't officially retired yet and so on. They are all given the oportunity, except, unlike countries with less depth, they may not get GPs, Euros and Worlds. But that is not Eteri's or Russia's fault.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I was talking strictly about how well they skated against their opponents in their grand prix performances. Nothing to do with preference or scoring potential. Basically Kaori was very fortunate to get bronze in Helsinki after she fell twice in the short. Mai was unfortunate to get 4th at NHK after her excellent performances. That was the difference in making GPF or not.

You're right about that, of course, perhaps I misunderstood. It's the usual what-if scenario, that leads to nowhere, though. It is what it is, and Kaori fell on her head in Helsinki. I think come GPF she has a chance for the podium. While Mai, even clean, has problems beating faulty performances. The judges are not into her, and her team should ask themselves if her programs are just not cutting it perhaps... even World Class choreographers are not a good fit for everyone. *cough*