2018 JGP Ostrava Ladies Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018 JGP Ostrava Ladies Short Program

Giver

Rinkside
Why am I not surprised that +3 in PCS for Ting Cui didn't cause any protests on this forum?)

Giver

Rinkside
Well, Future trashed me when I said that Kostornaia can follow Sakhanovich's fate. "It's just a nerves, she is as good as always, she will be better...". Now what?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why am I not surprised that +3 in PCS for Ting Cui didn't cause any protests on this forum?)

Because she deserved it:)

Surely not anything as ridiculous as that old happy hoo-hah that "this forum" doesn't care for Russian ladies:rolleye: I know you're not saying that, because that would be :rofl:

Giver

Rinkside
Because she deserved it:)

Surely not anything as ridiculous as that old happy hoo-hah that "this forum" doesn't care for Russian ladies:rolleye: I know you're not saying that, because that would be :rofl:

Of coooooourse she deserved it. Because every US, Canadian or Japanese skater deserved every point of their TES and PCS, but all Russians are overscored. Because they are genetically inferior, apparently.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alina's landing also looked a bit tight. I think it's probably her posture, which imo, affects everything she does on the ice.

Agree with Alina's posture problem. She is pitched forward from the waist almost all the time, which doesn't look good and certainly can affect jump landings.
She's in the midst of a growth spurt and there's no doubt her body will start to change soon, too. All of that causes weight redistribution and changes in the center of gravity.
It's going to be tough enough to deal with that while still skating in a hunched-over position.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I think Cui’s skating is lovely! The only thing missing was her jumps. She delivered today so, as the judges were in such great mood, I think her PCS is not ridiculous at all.

I do think there were some strange scores in this event but I won’t get into it because I lost my tinfoil hat. [emoji23]

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't understand why people are acting like Alena is destined to go down the same path as Sakhanovich and others who had a few good seasons as juniors and then fell off, when all she had was a slightly unsteady landing on one jump in Linz, and a pop here. It's like people are forgetting that Shcherbakova had some major errors in her jumps in the short in Canada, but I don't recall anyone saying that her career was over.

It was a pop. It was hard to watch, but it's fine.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
People think Alena is going downhill and her career is over???? God! Russian field is hardcore!! [emoji23]

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
People think Alena is going downhill and her career is over???? God! Russian field is hardcore!! [emoji23]

No room for errors with the Russian junior army behind you! :biggrin:
In all seriousness, it's such a madhouse. For example, a total no name, Sofia Hozyainova, won St. Petersburg Cup 2nd stage today with 175.01 in junior ladies (with St. Petersburg inflation of course, but still impressive). A no-name Russian skater who I believe has never made a junior Russian Nationals.

Giver

Rinkside
I don't understand why people are acting like Alena is destined to go down the same path as Sakhanovich and others who had a few good seasons as juniors and then fell off, when all she had was a slightly unsteady landing on one jump in Linz, and a pop here. It's like people are forgetting that Shcherbakova had some major errors in her jumps in the short in Canada, but I don't recall anyone saying that her career was over.

It was a pop. It was hard to watch, but it's fine.

Probably because Anna have actually IMPROVED her stability while Alena clearly regressed since last season?

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Probably because Anna have actually IMPROVED her stability while Alena clearly regressed since last season?

Well, Alena seems to be growing quite a lot and there are rumours she is training 3A which might explain her pop here. If her “””””inconsistency””””” is a matter of body changing I think she will stabilise sooner than later.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Of coooooourse she deserved it. Because every US, Canadian or Japanese skater deserved every point of their TES and PCS, but all Russians are overscored. Because they are genetically inferior, apparently.

I would not generalize but some weird judging was in place. German judge gave Kostornaya 6.75 for composition and 6.5 for performance. He is a strange judge - he did not differentiate among top 5 skaters giving everyone similar scores including Victoria Vasilyeva.

What I could not comprehend is Czech and Netherlands judges giving Ting higher pcs than Alena. If it is not bias than what is it - Ting is a better skater than Alena? And so much for theories about European and especially Eastern European judges favoring Russian skaters over North American.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wouldn't say Anna has improved so much as she has returned to form, ie she has her 3Lz-3Lo and her quads back, ish. Nor would I say that Alena has regressed. She still has all of her jumps and she is executing them with just as much quality as she was last season. She seems like a hard worker and is training the 3A, which she's shown she has the strength to do.

I don't think it's any secret that I'm a big Alena fan, and I'm always going to be in her corner. I'm just saying, she had one bad jump. I wouldn't consider that a meltdown, just like I wouldn't consider Anna's fall a meltdown.

Giver

Rinkside
I wouldn't say Anna has improved so much as she has returned to form, ie she has her 3Lz-3Lo and her quads back, ish. Nor would I say that Alena has regressed. She still has all of her jumps and she is executing them with just as much quality as she was last season. She seems like a hard worker and is training the 3A, which she's shown she has the strength to do.

I don't think it's any secret that I'm a big Alena fan, and I'm always going to be in her corner. I'm just saying, she had one bad jump. I wouldn't consider that a meltdown, just like I wouldn't consider Anna's fall a meltdown.

Well, last time she had nervous skating and unstable landing, now she have even more nervous skating and pop... what's next?

Tally

Rinkside
Honestly, Alena was bound to have a mistake in competition at some point. I don’t think it means much. She is a brilliant skater and I believe she will grow from this experience. She does seem very sensitive, and prone to letting her emotions affect her, so hopefully this experience will help her gain some mental toughness.

EdRoz

Record Breaker
I thought she looked very unwell. Allergies could explain it for sure. She also seems to be smack dab in the middle of a growth spurt. Even with the pop, her skating is so beautiful.

people write that Alena has an allergy to cold :disapp:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
finally i managed to watch the competition. here my very random toughts

Chen: she’s wearing one of the ugliest swan costume of the world, but the program’s beautiful, I love the start, when she uses the movements of the actual ballet choreography.

Petrokina: she's wearing a Christmas pajama and isn’t clean at all, but overall I enjoyed her and her interpretationof the music video choreography.

kim: korea's the new black :biggrin: these girls're just amazing, i believe sooner than later they'll be serious gold contenders, kim's my favourite of them, so artistic an lovely!

Yoshioka: love this program, so lively and explosive! Unluckily she run out of fuel at the end.

Kostornaia: clearly it wasn’t her day, she looked upset from the start, it breaks your heart watching such a performance from a skater you know can deliver so much more. anyway she'll be better tomorrow, no doubts.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Why this tread has a Chinese flag??

There is no comparison between Alena and Sakhanovich. When I saw the comparison, I was what??? I don't even want to argue. Didn't Alena have a fall in one of important domestic competitions last season? It's not like she never falls. Sakhanovich had the wrong jumping techniques, bad spins, bad flexibility to start with. Her advantage was her "mature" skating, which wad bound to by passed when other girls got older and more experiences.