2018 Lake Placid Ice Dance International | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Lake Placid Ice Dance International

Vinyame

Rinkside
No videos yet, but someone watching the livestream posted on twitter their music:
M/C
RD: Desde El Alma
FD: Porz Goret by Yann Tiersen
P/P
RD: Vuelvo Al Sur
FD: To Build a Home

Mattieu

Medalist
No videos yet, but someone watching the livestream posted on twitter their music:
M/C
RD: Desde El Alma
FD: Porz Goret by Yann Tiersen
P/P
RD: Vuelvo Al Sur
FD: To Build a Home

I thought the FD had to have a change of tempo, but Porz Goret is all the same tempo?

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
From the pic on ice-dance.com facebook page, the detailed FD scores were:

TES

McNamara/Carpenter 62.72
Parsons/Parsons 53.57

PCS

McNamara/Carpenter 48.9
Parsons/Parsons 46

Parsons then had a -3 deducation

The 2 Canadian teams and Hungarian couple also had deductions (Sales/Wamsteeker and Hungarians -2 and -1 for Lanaghan/Razgulajevs)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...155753606702939.1073741909.47362597938&type=1

Micheal Parsons had a fall on a transition. I also would like to see this team use more original music rather than rehash other iconic FD music. Last season they used the ChristopherBruce/Torvill & Dean/Duchenay's Ghost Dances and now P/C's To Build A Home.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Max FD score is 137.84 this season so it's not as big as it looks.

It used to be reaching 100 points for the FD was a milestone of reaching the higher echelons of Dance. What score should we look for now would you say?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Thought Quinn & Lorraine did an amazing job for season debut performances! Especially loved their rhythm dance.

Lots of teams really pushing the low positions & variations in the dance spins and trying out different variations in the twizzles, pushing for all those available GOE points.

I know the scores might be slightly inflated, but WOW!

New scoring system makes it hard to interpret scores at the moment. (Higher dance base value & available goe. Also the risk of losing more points for elements with mistakes). We'll sort out what the scores mean eventually.

Parsons then had a -3 deduction

The 2 Canadian teams and Hungarian couple also had deductions (Sales/Wamsteeker and Hungarians -2 and -1 for Lanaghan/Razgulajevs)

The only fall in the FD was from Michael. (I don't think he took her out with him? The rest must be timing deductions--lots of new lifts/elements here). Fourati did have a fall in the SD.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The difference in max score is about 20 points, so I'm thinking 120. The top teams with be at 125+ I'm guessing.

GF2445

Record Breaker
It used to be reaching 100 points for the FD was a milestone of reaching the higher echelons of Dance. What score should we look for now would you say?

Last season it was 120
I guess the goal is 130 this cycle.

One can argue that the inflating of the scores is a reflection that the standard of perfection is continuously increasing- because the overall skating level keeps improving.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

There's an interesting discussion in this thread. It seems that converting a score to a percentage of the maximum possible score of the season the score was received would make comparison across seasons easier, as the TES has constantly fluctuated over the years. M/C's score of 111.62 versus 137.84 can be compared to 100.98 versus 124.70 max. score from last season, so not as high as it looks compared to if that 111+ was received last season.

As for the new milestone, I can't really say yet with the big changes in the Scale of Values and how the judges will score with it. However, if we use the 10th place FD score for both Olympics (Coomes/Buckland) and Worlds (Hawayek/Baker) last season as benchmarks to predict this, their scores gives a percentage of around 82%. So applying it to this year's max. score, we are looking at around 113. The percentage of the 10th place FD do vary between years and depends on the field. In the previous post-Olympic season, Hubbell/Donohue received the tenth FD score at 2015 Worlds that converts to a percentage of around 79%. Applying it to this years max. score, we are looking at around 109.

Now top 5 FD is a different story. At Olympics, Hubbell/Donohue's score was around 88% of the max score while at Worlds Chock/Bates' score was around 90%. So let's say 89%. Applying to this season's max score, that would give around 123.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks Bill for your magnificent, detailed answer! Much appreciated! :thank:

markovai

Rinkside
It is a shame for USFS in general and for the local organizers in Lake Placid that, a few years after some of the events of this competition became international (in the terms of ISU), they still don't organize it as a true international competition. After USFSA was ignoring for many years the international competitions (except, of course the big ones, the Grand Prix and the Challengers) significantly harming this way the development and international exposure of their young athletes (especially the novice and junior ladies were hurt, I think) ISU started to assign to the US territory such (international) competitions - Philiadelphia and Lake Placid Dance. Instead of taking full advantage of this, the organizers don't even do it the right way. Since internet entered massively into our lives, including into figure skating, it is for the first time that I see an international competition that doesn't even post the results on the ISU website (through the results system that everybody else is using) nor on their own website. An official international competition is over, and we should look on fans' pictures from tweeter or facebook in order to see the results???

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW, the ISU event page for Lake Placid Ice Dance International does link to International scores for Rhythm Dance.

I hope/expect that International scores for Free Dance will be added soon.

And the URL suggests that International protocols also will be added.

ETA:
I do wish that USFS would include LPIDI and Philadelphia Summer International on its International Assignments/Results page.
Never have understood why they never are included.​

ICYMI, oniceperspectives Instagram account had some absolutely gorgeous Lake Placid practice video. For example:

Huge thanks to Jordan. :bow: :thank:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Thank You so much @icecoverage for IG links to practice videos.

I have to say I am very impressed by Lorraine and Quinn, it looks like totally new beginning for me. Even from practice video I can see how much she improved her stance, postures, carriage, movement finishing, especially by hands/arms. They look much more fluid and cohesive in this music, the choreography also looks promising, with visible emphasis on continuity and flow, that entry to spin is an example - perfectly timing between movement and tempo. Nothing but the very best for them, cannot wait for some videos maybe, I would love to see their RD! :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Micheal Parsons had a fall on a transition. I also would like to see this team use more original music rather than rehash other iconic FD music. Last season they used the ChristopherBruce/Torvill & Dean/Duchenay's Ghost Dances and now P/C's To Build A Home.

I thought about same thing and it concerns me. I think that this us their best aesthetic to explore, but not with already used music, especially one piece that is so strongly associated with specific ice dance team... I do wish they would choose something contemporary, but with more edgy character, maybe something with more strings. It could be a hard task for them to stand out with that music, but who knows...

markovai

Rinkside
FWIW, the ISU event page for Lake Placid Ice Dance International does link to International scores for Rhythm Dance.

I hope/expect that International scores for Free Dance will be added soon.

And the URL suggests that International protocols also will be added.

ETA:
I do wish that USFS would include LPIDI and Philadelphia Summer International on its International Assignments/Results page.
Never have understood why they never are included.​

ICYMI, oniceperspectives Instagram account had some absolutely gorgeous Lake Placid practice video. For example:

Huge thanks to Jordan. :bow: :thank:

The link you indicate on the ISU website is to a zip file with the results from the rhythmic dance only (as of noon of Sunday, 2 days after the competition ended). No details, no protocols, no information about the judges. Everybody else (except the USA and Canada) uses the online system even for the smallest international competition - it shows the results and updates live, at the moment they happen.

And the reason USFS probably doesn't list LPIDI and Philadelphia Summer International on their International Assignments list is that they do not consider them as "international" enough - they only assign skaters to the bigger competitions. And I continue to insist that this is wrong as this does not stimulate the younger US skaters - USFS doesn't give them more opportunities, at a younger age, to compete internationally and to feel proud they represent their country. Before the excuse was probably that they can not support financially the younger to travel abroad. And what is the excuse now when it is in the US? Overall I think, USFS underestimates the regular international competitions.