2018 Lake Placid Ice Dance International | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Lake Placid Ice Dance International

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thank You so much @icecoverage for IG links to practice videos. …

I recommend also the oniceperspectives Lake Placid (non-international) practice video of Lin/Sletten's Argentine Tango:

The link you indicate on the ISU website is to a zip file with the results from the rhythmic dance only (as of noon of Sunday, 2 days after the competition ended). No details, no protocols, no information about the judges. ...

I already had made a point above of saying that what are available so far via the ISU site are RD scores.

I see the glass as half full … with the possibility/probability of more results and protocols to be added. YMMV.

... Everybody else (except the USA and Canada) uses the online system even for the smallest international competition - it shows the results and updates live, at the moment they happen.

:laugh: Everybody else??? Not in my experience.

Even some Challenger comps (outside of North America) have not had live results.

markovai

Rinkside
:laugh: Everybody else??? Not in my experience.

Even some Challenger comps (outside of North America) have not had live results.

Before you laugh at me, can you indicate ONE Challenger competition in the past 2 seasons, outside North America, that didn't use the online results system? I just double-checked to be sure and didn't find any.

Andrea82

Medalist
Before you laugh at me, can you indicate ONE Challenger competition in the past 2 seasons, outside North America, that didn't use the online results system? I just double-checked to be sure and didn't find any.

I think the European Challengers use the same results page format but not all of them update them live. IIRC Golden Spin 2017 uploaded scores in the evening rather than live

markovai

Rinkside
I think the European Challengers use the same results page format but not all of them update them live. IIRC Golden Spin 2017 uploaded scores in the evening rather than live

Yes, this is correct, I agree. But my point was that live, or at night time, or the next day at the latest, the results are updated publicly and pretty quickly. The competition in Lake Placid did not "behave" as an international competition. I guess there is no special selection for their US skaters who represent them in the international or in the regular division (for juniors). The results will be posted days later, without protocols on the club's website, etc, etc. Knowing US skating from inside for more than 12 years now, my point is that they do not appreciate enough the fact that they now have 2 more international events in their country that they could 1) organize following better the best international practices and 2) use to expose better their best younger skaters to an international atmosphere

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For the record:

The ISU site does have full protocols for:

The ISU link for 2016 LPIDI protocols was alive and well within a few days after the event, although it now is dead.

The ISU site does have full protocols for:

2015 Philadelphia Summer International: https://isu.org/events/eventdetail/10885/-/philadelphia-summer-international?templateParam=11

2017 Philadelphia Summer International: https://isu.org/events/eventdetail/11472/-/philadelphia-summer-international?templateParam=11

(Philadelphia Summer International did not take place in 2016.)​

And … I can say that the club website does/did have 2017 Philadelphia Summer International full protocols:

2017 PSIC ended on Aug 6, and protocols were on the club website by Aug 8.

(The club website's overall link for its 2017 results page now is dead. But the individual 2017 PDF links above still work.)​

Yes, it would be great to have live results.

Meanwhile, for non-live results, I for one am happy to give credit where credit is due. :)

ETA: At present, I am wishing hard :pray: for official entry lists for PSIC.​

ETA:

Jordan of oniceperspectives posted more Lake Placid practice video showing Michael Parsons :cool::

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl0yw4ggp88/?taken-by=oniceperspectives (posted Jul 29)​

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/5IIyMiTP5Sg M/C's RD, more videos also on this channel

Thanks a million!!!

Love, love the music - the whole dance looks well-thought and cohesive. Love Lorraine's dress and burgundy on Quinn (not sure about that sparkle on his vest though). Great musicality on pattern - there could be more fluidity and leg extension, more smoothness in holds, but it is the premiere outing (the pattern will be no joke, that's for sure, especially in full...). Not sure also about Lorraine's initial position in the lift on Quinn's shoulders, looked a bit awkward. As season progresses, they could spice the dance more, add some more Tango-like poses/holds, more legs from Lorraine (and boy, does she have them to showcase...). In general, they looked like proper senior team for me now.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I watched the Parsons' FD. I think it was highly risky that they chose "To Build a Home" considering Papadakis/Cizeron used it in their World Championship winning FD in 2015-2016, but I really like the FD and think it could be great.

I watched P/C and the Parsons FDs back to back and the only similarity is literally the music and even then the Parsons use additional cuts of the song that P/C didn't (and P/C had a second song in their FD). And the choreography is different -- even the vibe is different to me.

One thing this program highlights is the Parsons' extension and line. There is not a huge height difference between the two of them, but instead of letting that be a deterrence they really play up in the program. I don't know if I'm describing it right -- but I felt like this dance was really much about melding of the cerebral minds to me -- there was a lot of shapes and nodes that depended on both of them "playing" equal but different roles. I feel like too much has been made of the "stem" and "flower" stuff in ID, so I find this refreshing. It also felt more like about power and intensity and not lyrical, which is what I felt like with P/C's FD.

I'm sure there will be plenty of skeptics.

Anyway see for yourself. :)

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I watched the Parsons' FD. I think it was highly risky that they chose "To Build a Home" considering Papadakis/Cizeron used it in their World Championship winning FD in 2015-2016, but I really like the FD and think it could be great.

I watched P/C and the Parsons FDs back to back and the only similarity is literally the music and even then the Parsons use additional cuts of the song that P/C didn't (and P/C had a second song in their FD). And the choreography is different -- even the vibe is different to me.

One thing this program highlights is the Parsons' extension and line. There is not a huge height difference between the two of them, but instead of letting that be a deterrence they really play up in the program. I don't know if I'm describing it right -- but I felt like this dance was really much about melding of the cerebral minds to me -- there was a lot of shapes and nodes that depended on both of them "playing" equal but different roles. I feel like too much has been made of the "stem" and "flower" stuff in ID, so I find this refreshing. It also felt more like about power and intensity and not lyrical, which is what I felt like with P/C's FD.

I'm sure there will be plenty of skeptics.

Anyway see for yourself. :)

I really liked it too. It might have been better to go with a different song that has a similar vibe, to avoid the comparisons. But I think this program really works for them. Much better than last year's FD imo.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I really liked it too. It might have been better to go with a different song that has a similar vibe, to avoid the comparisons. But I think this program really works for them. Much better than last year's FD imo.

I agree it's better than last year's FD -- especially since that one, music wise, had very similar music cuts.

Honestly while I liked P/C's FD from that season to this music, my favorite P/C FD is actually the one from 2016-2017, so I suppose I'm not super sentimental about others using it. I can understand if others feel differently though.

Getting the right music can be challenging, so while I understand the sentiment of finding a "similar song," I also understand that if they felt a connection "To Build a Home.", I don't blame them for sticking to this one.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Thanks a million!!!

Love, love the music - the whole dance looks well-thought and cohesive. Love Lorraine's dress and burgundy on Quinn (not sure about that sparkle on his vest though). Great musicality on pattern - there could be more fluidity and leg extension, more smoothness in holds, but it is the premiere outing (the pattern will be no joke, that's for sure, especially in full...). Not sure also about Lorraine's initial position in the lift on Quinn's shoulders, looked a bit awkward. As season progresses, they could spice the dance more, add some more Tango-like poses/holds, more legs from Lorraine (and boy, does she have them to showcase...). In general, they looked like proper senior team for me now.

I'm telling you, the footwork is incredible. The way it travels around the full rink. You think it is going to go one way, and it travels another. Unexpected & creative. Plus their trademark speed throughout.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm telling you, the footwork is incredible. The way it travels around the full rink. You think it is going to go one way, and it travels another. Unexpected & creative. Plus their trademark speed throughout.

If you have seen it live, then it makes my appetite for this program even more - I can also add that the whole vibe of the dance feels sophisticated, it seems like they have a great material on their hands to work with :)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
If you have seen it live, then it makes my appetite for this program even more - I can also add that the whole vibe of the dance feels sophisticated, it seems like they have a great material on their hands to work with :)

Yes, I saw it live. That's why I wanted to mention it because I think the way in which the footwork covers the ice is the program's greatest strength, and I knew it would be hard to see that via camera.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I enjoyed McNamera and Carpenter's programs.

I know people question whether Wheaton can produce two successful senior teams, but there is no denying the solid basics that both teams have.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
McNamera and Carpenter's FD is a gem. Creative use of mirroring choreography at the beginning. Good incorporation of the new elements. The one foot combination step sequence just quickly flows through half the rink with nice use of the arms. Really suits their style of skating with innovative entries and elements. I also like how the music is really just a backdrop to their movements and it's their movements, not the music, that defines the program. Took me a second viewing to really appreciate it.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
"McNamara" with 3 a's;). Not to be a picky. Just to fix the trend.

I'm glad people like the FD. I do not think the new program is them in a natural sense; but I think they are doing what you need to do as a young team. Demonstrating that they have the range and ability to reach beyond their natural style. That they have these skills that may not show up within a more fiery, sharp, or traditionally dramatic piece. They are, IMO, wonderful storytellers and skaters. Wonderful enough to be able to stretch & reach & still put their own personal stamp on a performance. I hope we will see young athletes who trend toward the currently more popular lyrical style compelled to stretch & reach in the other direction as well.

Often I feel that the very best ice dance teams are the ones that have all those tools in their tool basket. We don't always envision them succeeding in certain styles; but when the rhythm dance in such & such style rolls around, those top teams surprise you with something spectacular. The Shibs and Papadakis & Cizeron with Latin. Weaver & Poje and Cappellini & Lanotte with the Waltz. Bobrova & Soloviev's polka or V&M's hip hop. Often the moment I fall in love with a team is the moment they succeed at something I didn't expect. Anna's gothgirl rendition of Requiem for a Dream was the moment I fell in love with C&L. Denkova & Staviski's traditional baroque waltz was the moment for me with that team.

oly2018

Final Flight
I may be the odd one out, but I actually prefer P/P's programs. I felt no connection between C/M in the RD and I found the free a bit boring. The choreo is great, but I found the music really one note. I have never been a huge fan of the Parsons, but I really like their RD. They seem to be taking a more playful approach to the tango and I think it works. As for their free, I think they could have chosen a different song. The choreo has some similarities to last year's, so it kind of feels like another song could have been applied for the same feel. It seems like they are going for a more modern dance look and I think it works for them, but they lost SO much speed by the end. That may just be because it was their first outing, but the last spin almost came to a halt.

Overall, both teams seem to be heading in the right direction, but they both really need to work on their lifts. A lot of the positions are really awkward and don't look fluid.