2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens FS | Page 149 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens FS

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Not trying to make Nathan a maybe-champion! Not arguing either, just citing that scenario.

FACT: Hanyu never landed 5 quads in a program. Has he? Nathan did it multiple times. Hence, a scenario.

But don't you worry, not bitter with the result. Very satisfied with the outcome and the level of skating tonight was spectacular! Not like 4 years ago.

Hanyu has landed 4 quads, and he holds WR for that LP and significantly higher PCS.

I don't get your point about Nathan landing 5 quads programs multiple times. So what? His highest is still lower than both Hanyu and Fernandez with their 4-quad layouts. 5-quads don't equate automatic win, although it seems like the current judging system, USFSA, and some posters here desperately want it to be that way.

If I were Hanyu, I'd be insulted to have people equate Chen to being my only competitor. There's still Uno, Jin, and Fernandez to get through.

kimi492

Final Flight
It's funny to see everyone clamoring to call Nathan a headcase ala Gracie, Sasha,etc. Even after he lost - the hate is ridiculous - Nathan simply hasn't competed enough for anyone to write him off

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
This men free skate almost killed me. I've never shaked like that in my all life. I've just collapsed in sleep after Shoma's scores and Yuzu became TWO TIME OLYMPIC CHAMPION, JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good podium. I would have love Boyang on it but Fernandez fought for his medal and deserve it. And he made history for España.
Chen made history too. Holy cow six quads!!! He can be proud of himself. A fighter. Podium for him at Worlds please.
That was a good competition.
That was a cute moment between Yuzu and Fernandez.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Nathan interview on NBCSN. Said all of the right things. Learning experience, he was proud to finish first in the free, etc. Seems committed to improving in the next few years.

withwings

On the Ice
I hate how Ashley always criticizes Russian ladies skaters and Boyang but she says nothing negative about Nathan when he is basically only jump after jump. I mean, I am glad that he got his redemption, and he is soo young, but there is not much besides jumps.

Ashley never criticizes anyone; it is only your personal interpretation.

ChefAnt

Rinkside
Not trying to make Nathan a maybe-champion! Not arguing either, just citing that scenario.

FACT: Hanyu never landed 5 quads in a program. Has he? Nathan did it multiple times. Hence, a scenario.

But don't you worry, not bitter with the result. Very satisfied with the outcome and the level of skating tonight was spectacular! Not like 4 years ago.

Then why do you need to over emphasize your point? You seem to be so offended because we are critical of your favorite skater. None of us are saying Nathan doesn't have potential. We all wish him well. However, most of us agree that he has alot of development to do, either be it in his skating, on his mental toughness, or on how to compete. Him proving his abilities today with an epic free skate is the first step towards all that but he still have to prove that he can win a world or olympic title and not just beat one skater at a time during the Grand Prix with the other skater not being in form.

bixby

Final Flight
Face it, Nathan didnt medal in the individual. He may be King of quads but he didnt medal, here or 2017 worlds.

He didnt medal at 2017 Worlds after getting 2nd at 2016 GP finals. At the moment, Nathan hasnt got enough mental strength to withstand the pressure of major tournaments, ie Worlds, Olympics. We saw this coming miles away in this forum.
Key phrase : at the moment. As Nathan gets more matured, hopefully he will have more mental toughness.

Why do you think the top 4 finishers are : reigning OG champ, current World champ, former world champ and current world medalists? Cos they've been on that podium, they know what it takes.

Nathan will too one day

I don't look away from any of that. I face the fact that he is not there yet. But just the opposite, the mental strength to get back up when you're down is more than being in the podium at world or Olympics. Your dismissive that at the moment he doesn't have the mental toughness. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I hate how Ashley always criticizes Russian ladies skaters and Boyang but she says nothing negative about Nathan when he is basically only jump after jump. I mean, I am glad that he got his redemption, and he is soo young, but there is not much besides jumps.

Did she critize Boyang as well?!

Edit: Omg she did. Saying 'I wish he would have done more crossovers, crossovers I can't wait'.

There is a thin line between being sassy and a b..ch. And Ashley is being the latter.

Talk about hypocrisy.

Raatkirani

On the Ice
Interesting! Is he not close with his father? Or maybe he thought Fernandez sounds better?
Javier Fernandez Lopez is the son of Antonio Fernandez and Enriqueta Lopez. Per Spanish naming customs, father’s last name is first followed by mother’s maiden name. Often the person will shorten their name to their father’s last name.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I don't look away from any of that. I face the fact that he is not there yet. But just the opposite, the mental strength to get back up when you're down is more than being in the podium at world or Olympics. Your dismissive that at the moment he doesn't have the mental toughness. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Yahhh, just keep hyping up Nathan and trying to sell him.

Are you his agent or getting paid to do PR for him?

thoakun

Final Flight
Woot woot, now I get it. The skating god is almighty and fair. S/he won't relinquish the awards until all the men have paid their dues in the form of splatfest, sweat, blood, tears of disappointment :drama:. The struggle is not in vain. Thanks to every force in the universe for a magnificent Olympics men's final :yahoo::clap::sad4:.

WineHerUp

On the Ice
This is my dream podium :luv17:. Javi finally got his well deserved Olympic medal, Yuzuru showed the world why he's the king, and Shoma fought until the very end. Before tonight, I didn't think that it was possible to be so happy for figure skating results. Words can't describe how proud I am of these amazing athletes.The post competition hug with the medalists was so cute!

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Like Nathan, Evan needed one Olympics to figure out how to get on the podium, too. I guess I just get disappointed because it takes longer for USA figure skaters to develop when Yuzuru had it already figured out at 19. Shoma already has it figured out too and he's only a year and a half older than Nathan.

purpledream

On the Ice
Oh my Godness. https://myjunkisyuzuruhanyu.tumblr.com/post/170968207578/post-fs-interview-with-shoma-february-17th

The translation of Shoma's interview. He watched all the perfomances before him, seeing Nathan's six quad FS, Yuzuru's and Javi's not so perfect FS and knew he could win Gold if he was perfect and how well he needed to skate for the medal.

That's what I call mental toughness folks.

I told you this boy has nerves of steeeeel!
and I put him up there with Boyang on the nerves of steel this later 1/2 of the season. Okay with Javier too

Cause oh boy this Shoma - whats up with watching everyone's skate before him
but maybe thats why he's in a daze after his free.

He;s like oh its over? I just watched everyone's skate so im kinda confused now. Whose skate was whose?

bixby

Final Flight
Yahhh, just keep hyping up Nathan and trying to sell him.

Are you his agent or getting paid to do PR for him?

How is that hyping Nathan, when that's exactly what happened tonight! I am simply blown away by these younger generations coming up doing the impossible 4 years ago. I cheered for everyone of them. Look how men's figure skating has evolved. THEY HAVE REVOLUTIONIZED MEN'S FIGURE SKATER WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT. They've pushed even Hanyu to learn more quads!