YEE Julian Zhi JieMASFNR25
BESSEGHIER Chafik FRAFNR26
TEN Denis KAZFNR27
MARTINEZ Michael Christian PHIFNR28
MONTOYA Felipe ESPFNR29
PANIOT Yaroslav UKRFNR30

Lambari

Final Flight
I'm been out of this forum for some time, but I've been watching everything with maximum stress. I can't even form comprehensive thoughts. These men are absolute GIFTS!

And I wanted to post this If it wasn't already shared:

Hanyu: There are many wonderful skaters out there - everyone is building the foundation for figure skating. Some have said I have been the pioneer, but I would like to negate that 100%. Jin's 4Lz inspired me to do it, the existence of Shoma really inspired me from the men's press conference, by rockerskating

IN THIS HOUSE THERE IS NO BOYANG ERASURE :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The one who started the quad-craze and just finished 4th at his first Olympics! His skating developed so much since them! Way to go Boyangman!!

borzaya

Final Flight
Shoma's 4Loop was underrotated but not called.

And that's the problem, isn't it? His underrotations and other "glitchy" jumps are not called. That's how he happens to be higher than the guys with much cleaner jumps. Which is the unjust judging, isn't it?

GGFan

Record Breaker
Evan needed one Olympics to figure out how to get on the podium, too. I guess I just get disappointed because it takes longer for USA figure skaters to develop when Yuzuru had it already figured out at 19.

I know what you mean but I don't think that comparison is fair. We have huge sample size issues. I think it is much more likely that Yuzu is exceptional! Also, some things went in his favor (everyone messed up). I think you need: 1) timing to work out for your first Olympics to fall at the right time in your development, 2) a ridiculous once in a generation talent, and 3) some luck. That's a lot to ask for! :drama:

Evan needed one Olympics to figure out how to get on the podium, too. I guess I just get disappointed because it takes longer for USA figure skaters to develop when Yuzuru had it already figured out at 19.

I think he learnt it in Worlds 2013 where he was off-podium and couldn't repeat his world medal. Oh no, he learnt it after Worlds 2012 when he said to Brian in their first meeting that he is going to win gold in Sochi. No no wait, he learnt it when he was 9 years old and told that reporter that he will win olympic gold in 10 years. That's our kid :biggrin:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
I hope all this skipping Worlds stops this year. I want to see all the top guys competing at Worlds. I prefer that competition than this once in 4 years PR exercise.

treeloving

Medalist
I don't understand why Javier tes is so low, he did pop quad but that would be around 12 point combine with his current tes he will get aorund 113 in 2016 he got 118 with the same layout. It seems that judges are stingy with his GOEs. Anyway, he got an olympic medal at last, I am happy.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Hanyu: I don't know yet [about Worlds]. My ankle injury isn't healed, so I pushed it hard for this competition. There are some elements I can't perform because of it but I pushed myself to do them here. For the rest of Oly, I think I'll be quite busy w the press

Hanyu: I think I had to do what I could do at this moment. My injuries were more severe than I thought and I couldn't practice like I wanted to. Now that I won the gold, and I've been cheered by so many people, I really am blessed - I am really happy.

Damn. So this is what his team hasn't been telling us. He isn't fully recovered and still injured.

Effing amazing he was able to pull off another Gold.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm so happy for Fernandez getting his medal and Bychenko getting another SB! But sorry that today it didn't click for Brendan Kerry. He gave it his best shot anyway, and I'm very proud of him.

da96103

Record Breaker
Mathematically speaking, Yuzu gave all the top skaters a chance to win the gold medal.

Base on the premise that Yuzu skated the same as yesterday and today: 111.68 + 206.17 = 317.85

For Shoma to win the OGM, he needed to skate FS more than 213.68. His personal best in FS was 214.97.

For Javier to win the OGM, he needed to skate FS more than 210.27. His personal best in FS was 216.41.

For Nathan to win the OGM, he needed to skate SP more than 102.77. His personal best in SP was 104.12.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I know what you mean but I don't think that comparison is fair. We have huge sample size issues. I think it is much more likely that Yuzu is exceptional! Also, some things went in his favor (everyone messed up). I think you need: 1) timing to work out for your first Olympics to fall at the right time in your development, 2) a ridiculous once in a generation talent, and 3) some luck. That's a lot to ask for! :drama:

I think it's fair. Kimmie Meissner pulled off a Worlds gold on her first try. All she needed was the Olympics beforehand. I thought Nathan would be the same, just one Worlds before the Olympics. At the same time, I'm also not surprised that Nathan struggled at the Olympics because he struggled at Worlds. It confuses me when I can see so many different scenarios.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Hanyu: Without Javi, I would not have come to Canada. Because of him, I was really able to incorporate the 4S and 4T in my program. Without him, training would have been so hard, I would not have been able to bear it. #PyeongChang2018

*SOB* Don't retire Javi!!

So he is not fully healed yet :sad21: From Jackie Wong's tweet:
"Hanyu: I don't know yet [about Worlds]. My ankle injury isn't healed, so I pushed it hard for this competition. There are some elements I can't perform because of it but I pushed myself to do them here."

purpledream

On the Ice
I'm been out of this forum for some time, but I've been watching everything with maximum stress. I can't even form comprehensive thoughts. These men are absolute GIFTS!

And I wanted to post this If it wasn't already shared:

Hanyu: There are many wonderful skaters out there - everyone is building the foundation for figure skating. Some have said I have been the pioneer, but I would like to negate that 100%. Jin's 4Lz inspired me to do it, the existence of Shoma really inspired me from the men's press conference, by rockerskating

IN THIS HOUSE THERE IS NO BOYANG ERASURE :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The one who started the quad-craze and just finished 4th at his first Olympics! His skating developed so much since them! Way to go Boyangman!!

I agree. The quad race started cause mid into the oly quad - certain youngsters like Jin came up with 4Lz, Shoma thereafter his 4F, then the youngsters from US with their quads.

But lets not forget that while they tried to chase him with quads, Hanyu also tried to improve his quad repertoire (and remember that 2015 COC concussion splat omg) and answered his competitors

And what Shoma said was kind of true - if he went squeaky clean, squeaky squeaky clean : the top 3 places could have jumbled up. If
Javier went clean too = who knows?

ks777

Record Breaker
I don't understand why Javier tes is so low, he did pop quad but that would be around 12 point combine with his current tes he will get aorund 113 in 2016 he got 118 with the same layout. It seems that judges are stingy with his GOEs. Anyway, he got an olympic medal at last, I am happy.

His base value was around 95, the lowest among the contenders by far. Yuzuru around 105 and Shoma around 104. His hardest jumps were all in the front half. If he had rotated the 4 salcow and fell, he would have the silver.

purpledream

On the Ice
Hanyu: Without Javi, I would not have come to Canada. Because of him, I was really able to incorporate the 4S and 4T in my program. Without him, training would have been so hard, I would not have been able to bear it. #PyeongChang2018

*SOB* Don't retire Javi!!

Noooooooo JavixYuzu foreverrrrrr

Panpie

On the Ice
I was gutted for Nathan after hearing about his short program and was glad he landed his jumps in the free, but even my mother--very much a casual fan--noticed the clear difference between Nathan and the final flight of guys. Nathan went from jump to jump, while the others had programs with highs and lows, interpretation of and connection to the music, and interesting choreography. My guess is that both Johnny and Tara would have been more critical of Nathan's program had he not been American.

Nathan said that he thought he had a shot at bronze until he saw the final guys skate. He seems like a nice kid who redeemed himself but knows he has things to work on.

As for pressure, Hanyu had the eyes of a figure skating crazed nation upon him and has for years. He had the pressure of trying to repeat as Olympic champion after a serious injury. He has media following his every move and cannot live a normal life, really. Yet he delivered today and has done so time and again.