2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens FS | Page 171 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens FS

charlotte14

Medalist
Yuzuru said in an interview that he wouldn't have won if his competitors would have skated their best. He knew very well.
He could have said: "If I were healthy I would have won this competition by 30 points."

I don't really get why some people still believe that judges would put other guys over a clean Hanyu. He clearly stated this before the competition: "I know I will win if I skate clean." So there's that.

Mussique

On the Ice
What a pointless discussion.
Yes, if Nathan Chen was clean and suddenly started landing his jumps with amazing GOEs and also did more transitions he'd have won since he has the most BV —but he didn't.
Yes, Nathan Chen would have won if he had skated a good SP and then not crumbled of pressure in the FS, and everyone else had done exactly the same including the juzgues —but he didn't.
Yes, if Yuzu had been healthy he'd jumped more quads and there's a chance he'd have even more points —but he wasn't.
Yes, Misha Ge (or Adam Rippon, who I love, or whoever, name your pick, it's not got anything to do with the skater) would have won if every other skater suddenly decided they didn't want to skate anymore —but they didn't.
So the point to keep pressing the issue is...?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Nobody "gifted" anybody anything here. You can't gift something you didn't earn. Unless Nathan, or whoever your fave is, actually was invited to step on the podium and have the gold medal hung around his neck - he gifted Yuzuru nothing. Yuzuru won because he was the best in this competition.

Unrealized potential does not count in sports.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
wow
finally caught up to thread!! (and proud of myself! :cool:) (i admit i scrolled down some post :biggrin:), some thoughts

What if Yuzuru hugged his Winnie longer?
What if Shoma could sleep 1 more hour?
What if they let Javier use horse as prop for his LP?
What if Boyang let Misha put him lip balm before competition?
What if Nathan didnt cut his hair too short?
What if Michal didnt cut his man bun? (might have been bad though since he didn pretty good here :biggrin:)
What if i was brave enough to watch this competition live? surely would be a wild ride!! congratulations to all!! very happy with the podium, esp happy with Yuzuru :love: and Javier :luv17: if i wasnt on a bus during competition wouldnt need to hold my tears, so proud of them both :yahoo:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
After some of the really bad men's competitions we've had, and the gloomy outlook I was holding for this Olympics, this was a very well-skated event. Some disasters, some redemption, lots of good skating, jumps, programs, drama, triumph...really all that an Olympic free skate is supposed to have.

Also, this was an Olympic year in which no one could say, among the top 6, who was the favorite. The young skaters with big jumps who joined the ranks this past 4 years all made a determined bid for podiums and the veterans with their all-around skills and GOE determinedly hung on and also posted some of the highest scores ever. In the end, a podium of Yuzu, Shoma and Javi was a comfortable throw-back to GPF 2015 another stellar day for Men's skating, except in Korea there were slightly less clean programs, but harder jumps.

My question now is: if Javi chooses to only go to Europeans and World Championships each year, instead of retiring outright, how long do we think he can keep winning Europeans and extending his reign? I say he can do it for at least 3 more years. :biggrin:

Last edited:

charlotte14

Medalist
Nobody "gifted" anybody anything here. You can't gift something you didn't earn. Unless Nathan, or whoever your fave is, actually was invited to step on the podium and have the gold medal hung around his neck - he gifted Yuzuru nothing. Yuzuru won because he was the best in this competition.

Unrealized potential does not count in sports.
And Hanyu is pretty much confident in his skills to say "I know I will win if I am clean." but people still take his diplomatic comments after the competition ends. Yeap if he were not clean, someone who were clean might win but at the end of the day no one were cleaner in both programs so...
While Hanyu acknowleges the rest of men's skills, he still believes him being clean can win over them. The guy is that confident.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
My question now is: if Javi chooses to only go to Europeans and World Championships each year, instead of retiring outright, how long do we think he can keep winning Europeans and extending his reign? I say he can do it for at least 3 more years. :biggrin:

I like Javi a lot but Euros is boring without a real challenger. I would love to see Dima overtake him. Maybe next season is too much to ask, but the one after that? Why not? Hopefully Deniss will have a quad(s) by then, too. :biggrin:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I like Javi a lot but Euros is boring without a real challenger. I would love to see Dima overtake him. Maybe next season is too much to ask, but the one after that? Why not? Hopefully Deniss will have a quad(s) by then, too. :biggrin:

I, too, hope that Dima, Deniss and others can develop their talent and nerve enough to eventually take the top spot. But I want to keep seeing Javi skate, even if it's just a few half-seasons more. --And who better to inspire these boys to really challenge themselves if not Javi?

miso

Rinkside
Saw the judges' scoring in another thread and I can't stop laughing. :eeking::laugh::laugh2:

Anyway, I think Yuzuru might be going to the Worlds which makes happy but at the same time I want him to rest and heal. Please let Yuzuru heal to the fullest.

Until he's in his late 30s. :biggrin:

Mussique

On the Ice
I think it's possible (crossing my fingers here, in both hands and also my feet just to make sure) that he'll do that —train for Europeans and Nationals and maybe Gran Prix and rest the rest of the season... At this point this is speculation, but he did say this aftern that he didn't plan to go to Milan, so...
(Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/RadioMARCA/status/965992630126612482 )
I'll take any day half seasons over no more seasons :sad21:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Finally got to watch the men's FS on Swedish Eurosport and of course they had to down-talk Hanyu. They seriously said that Fernandez has more difficult transitions compared to Boyang and Hanyu, and that he and Chan hade more steps in his program than the rest of the field, with Fernandez being better than Chan??? They also complained about Bychenko and Samohin just skating between their jumps but they saw nothing wrong with Chen's program, and they were chocked that he only had two more points in PCS. After Hanyu's skate they also said that he was figure skating biggest's diva and that he wasn't going to get more humble are his skate?? Throughout the whole competition they would mention how much they loved Uno, Chen, Chan and Fernandez and hoped that they would skate well, and saying positive things even after their mistakes. About Hanyu they were mostly mentioning his the bad landnings and how he wasn't perfect. I seriously don't understand them.

This is really odd, and compared to the UK Eurosport commentators a rather negative way of commenting. Why call Hanyu a diva? He seemed a perfectly nice guy to me, acknowledging other skaters, and I remember when he lost to Fernandez some years ago he responded very honourably. For good order, so did Fernandez in another context. Even if Fernandez had more difficult transitions, it all comes down to the whole package and Hanyu is an extreme example of that. The whole should be what's it about, without letting go of technical advancements. There is a way to express your love for certain skaters without putting others down. I agree with you: I don't understand them and I will refer you to the UK commentators who are knowledgble but just love skating and will say their hurrays for anyone who has a good skate. Not just their personal favourites. I've been on some of the threads about Boyang (who some also tended to dismiss), I wonder, how did they approach his skating? Dismissive (grrrrr)?

charlotte14

Medalist
This is really odd, and compared to the UK Eurosport commentators a rather negative way of commenting. Why call Hanyu a diva? He seemed a perfectly nice guy to me, acknowledging other skaters, and I remember when he lost to Fernandez some years ago he responded very honourably. For good order, so did Fernandez in another context. Even if Fernandez had more difficult transitions, it all comes down to the whole package and Hanyu is an extreme example of that. The whole should be what's it about, without letting go of technical advancements. There is a way to express your love for certain skaters without putting others down. I agree with you: I don't understand them and I will refer you to the UK commentators who are knowledgble but just love skating and will say their hurrays for anyone who has a good skate. Not just their personal favourites. I've been on some of the threads about Boyang (who some also tended to dismiss), I wonder, how did they approach his skating? Dismissive (grrrrr)?
Someone send this to the Swedish Eurosport who have no idea aboiut steps: https://youtu.be/3qlpTMObg9A
and https://youtu.be/wNKwfeuGUN8
Hanyu has the most 1 foot skating and difficult steps.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
The only justification/possible explanation I can maybe think up is that Hanyu’s StSq was down to level 3, not level 4 as planned and as per, which was ... odd to see as his elements were listed. Would need to look at the program again to see why it was downgraded.

I believe everyone else in the final two flights (and Chen) had a level 4, although once Fernández popped that 4S, Hanyu’s fate was beyond secure.

ltc

Rinkside

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The men's talent pool in Europe isnt that bad I think. No young Russians rising ? Other than Dmitri

There are several decent Russian juniors like Erokhov, Ignatov, etc. but they have a lot of maturing to do and they aren't very consistent. I'd also like to see Daniel Samohin get his stuff together and not let his talent go to waste. At least he is working with an outside coach now.

gftn

On the Ice
I'm way late to the party :laugh: but would like to just said GOSH, how much hate can be thrown over a skater is unbelievable and deserved it's own medal!
The one that is the most glaring to me is towards Shoma. This guy just couldn't catch a break. He could win gold but if he did imagine the amount of chaos coming from Yuzu's supporters and the nation, so his silver actually saved him from that thank God but then here comes other skater's squads saying they deserved his spot.

I know a lot of people were calling Shoma's jump UR but even if it was he would still get points and UR+fall will still generates better points than a popped jump, this is of course a non-depth calculation and yes he could get a lower total than Javi but bringing it up every single time does not make it a fact. Boyang is a wonderful skater but looking at his fs and points, this event is just not his, simple as it is. And don't forget Judge no 7 already tried hard to bump him up to 3rd place and is actually also one of the cause why Javi couldn't get silver as he/she gave Javi 8 point pcs while average is higher than 9 and -1 on his 4S+2T.

Sorry if this annoyed anyone, I meant no harm :pray:

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain

I have a confession to make here. This past Europeans, I was watching Dima for first time and I was liking him a lot (as everybody did) and enjoying his performance, Javi had finished his FP by then and there was no danger, the gold was his, so why was I feeling so unconfortable watching Dimas' FP?
And then, it hit me, I was watching the next King of Europe :laugh:, and I wasn´t ready to think about a future without Javi in the competition.

I'm ok with Dima winning the Europeans in the future, I really like him, I just hope that he can wait until Javi is retired!!
And with Kholyada's permission of course, I think (hope) that he has a lot to say.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yuzuru is an amazing champion. Champions win no matter what; they may not necessarily even be the best skater they find a way to win. Yuzuru is great but his ability to win coming back from injuries wow. So focussed; nothing was going to stop him But I honestly don't mind if he leaves and skates show. He has won two OGM and though he is young he can leave on top. But he might stick around time will se eif it was such a wise decision.