2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 2 | Page 105 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 2

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Medvedeva's SP the first ever world record attributed to the IOC?

Good question...hmm?? Score one for the Olympics:yahoo:

She came out ready to drop bows!! Very impressive even by her standards.

TCAngel18

Medalist
It just doesn't make sense for Team Japan to send Shoma when their chances of getting a bronze are slimmer than Russia's chance for gold. Also, when the Japanese Fed announces something they rarely go back.

I mean, I’m cool with it, gives US better chance at a medal TBH. I want it for the other skaters, but I REALLY want it for Mirai. 8 years removed from finishing 4th at the Olympics, to finally get a medal, would be SWEET.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
This should be the first time that i like Medvedeva's program. The interpretation seems better this time. I still think that her scores are a big joke but she deserve to be first.

Satoko, wow that was harsh. But her program was the program of the night for me.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Did anybody else find the ladies a bit boring today? Everyone did what was expected in a workmanlike way.

Yep, this is Ladies these days though. The lack of spiral sequences or any truly beautiful held movements (aside from a requisite catch-foot position), the convoluted step sequences, and the insistence to throw in meaningless transitions that break up the flow and emotion of the skating.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
The harsh judging panel called the Split they do at the end of a move a fall. I can’t remember if the split was exiting a dance lift or during a step sequence.

It actually reflects quite poorly on the panel. A fall:

"A fall is defined as “loss of control by a skater with the result that the majority of his/her own body weight is on the ice supported by any part of the body other than the blades, e.g. hand(s), knee(s), back, buttock(s) or any part of the arm”.

There was no "loss of control" so this was just incompetency masking as strictness.

Giselle

Medalist
Starting orders are out!

1 OAR Mikhail KOLYADA
2 ITA Matteo RIZZO
3 USA Adam RIPPON
4 CAN Patrick CHAN
5 JPN Keiji TANAKA

1 USA Mirai NAGASU
2 JPN Kaori SAKAMOTO
3 CAN Gabrielle DALEMAN
4 ITA Carolina KOSTNER
5 OAR Alina ZAGITOVA

1 JPN MURAMOTO Kana / REED Chris
2 ITA CAPPELLINI Anna / LANOTTE Luca
3 OAR BOBROVA Ekaterina / SOLOVIEV Dmitri
4 USA SHIBUTANI Maia / SHIBUTANI Alex
5 CAN VIRTUE Tessa / MOIR Scott

lavoix

Match Penalty
I'd love for Italy to get bronze medal overall!

Why did Marchei/Hotarek get 1 point deduction? I don't get these 1 point deductions for the Italians, first C/L and now M/H.

reneerose

Final Flight
Did anybody else find the ladies a bit boring today? Everyone did what was expected in a workmanlike way. Scorewise, the only point of interest was that Bradie Tennell came close to Satoko Miyahara. This should help Bradie's PCSs later in the Games. (Bradie looks so much like her mother!)
I found this whole team event boring, with a few exceptions. The team event should still be moved to the end of all of the figure skating at the Olympics. Athletes are just not as interested as they would be because they are focused on their individual competitions. It would work better if the IOC moved it to the end.....it would serve as a competition "dessert"....the athletes would be more relaxed like at WTT.

Also edited to add: I still think the 1.0 deduction on C/L in the short dance was bogus.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/OWG2018_TeamIceDance_SD_D_Scores.pdf

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Did anybody else find the ladies a bit boring today? Everyone did what was expected in a workmanlike way.
I noticed it especially eith Kaetlyn. Very businesslike attitude (so were the errors nerves?) and even Caro just skated with a big smile, no emotional performance like at Euros.

Fascinating that team Italy have a shot at the podium. Although I doubt men and dance will place particularly high.

klutzy

On the Ice
It would be really sweet if the Shibs and Chock/Bates won medals from the team event and then Hubbell/Donohue took the individual Bronze.

My fantasy as well. "And you get a bronze, and you get a bronze, and you get a bronze!" And it would be fair as well. They're that close.

lavoix

Match Penalty
I noticed it especially eith Kaetlyn. Very businesslike attitude (so were the errors nerves?) and even Caro just skated with a big smile, no emotional performance like at Euros.

Fascinating that team Italy have a shot at the podium. Although I doubt men and dance will place particularly high.

I think dance has a chance to place high if they skate super clean.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Free Skate participants for

Men

Ladies

Ice Dance

As I expected, Canada only switches out Osmond for Daleman.

eta. I just noticed the info had been posted but I can't delete the post. So there, my opinion stays. :)

Starting orders are out!

1 OAR Mikhail KOLYADA
2 ITA Matteo RIZZO
3 USA Adam RIPPON
4 CAN Patrick CHAN
5 JPN Keiji TANAKA

1 USA Mirai NAGASU
2 JPN Kaori SAKAMOTO
3 CAN Gabrielle DALEMAN
4 ITA Carolina KOSTNER
5 OAR Alina ZAGITOVA

1 JPN MURAMOTO Kana / REED Chris
2 ITA CAPPELLINI Anna / LANOTTE Luca
3 OAR BOBROVA Ekaterina / SOLOVIEV Dmitri
4 USA SHIBUTANI Maia / SHIBUTANI Alex
5 CAN VIRTUE Tessa / MOIR Scott

My predictions:

Men -- 1. CAN 2. OAR 3. JPN 4. USA 5. ITA
Ladies -- 1. OAR 2. ITA 3. JPN 4. CAN 5. USA
Dance -- 1. CAN 2. USA 3. OAR 4. ITA 5. JPN

CAN - Gold
OAR - Silver
USA - Bronze unless ITA beats OAR in Dance. Which is possible.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I think dance has a chance to place high if they skate super clean.

Well, they aren't beating the Shibs and they will have to conjure up a lights out thing to beat B/S at this point. Will the motivation for team bronze be enough?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Well, they aren't beating the Shibs and they will have to conjure up a lights out thing to beat B/S at this point. Will the motivation for team bronze be enough?

The SD scores don't get carried forward and the FD is another event. It's definitely possible for ITA to beat OAR. And even USA.