2018 Rostelecom Cup Pairs Free Skate | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018 Rostelecom Cup Pairs Free Skate

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Some cognitive dissonance can be Enlightening.

LOL you're right, but I was thinking that "cognitive dissonance" is the wrong term. I am totally comfortable and here for the brand new, more moody, bluesy Jason! I changed it to contrast. :)

newyn

On the Ice
This weekend we have international judge Pirjo Uimonen commentating on Finnish stream/television. Her remarks have been very insightful, during another event she explained the judges are supposed to look at the positive GOE bullets first and then detract from them if there are some negatives, so that might explain.

And she went on how huge T/M throws are. So perhaps that is how the judges see things.

All in all, my love for T/M is no secret so I'm really happy they won and with a beautiful skate. Evgenia is such a trooper. Also I'm so glad for the Austrians, they were third in the freeskate were they not?

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
T/M's first SBS was super scary. she was very close to getting a knife boot straight to the calf. They were amazing to both react so quickly.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
This weekend we have international judge Pirjo Uimonen commentating on Finnish stream/television. Her remarks have been very insightful, during another event she explained the judges are supposed to look at the positive GOE bullets first and then detract from them if there are some negatives, so that might explain.

And she went on how huge T/M throws are. So perhaps that is how the judges see things.

All in all, my love for T/M is no secret so I'm really happy they won and with a beautiful skate. Evgenia is such a trooper. Also I'm so glad for the Austrians, they were third in the freeskate were they not?
Sounds very insightful! And no complaints from me! Those throws took my breath away, even if she had a bit of trouble controlling the landings. Tarasova is such a strong person inside and out.

Miriam and Severin were just a couple little hiccups away from the podium. So proud of them.

By the way, when are we going to get some awesome Finnish pairs teams?! Peltonen and Lindfors have been impressing for some time now and I'm ready for some Finnish pairs action!

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
And positive again??? Please explain to me how this doesn’t get reviewed by ISU??

Okay, the judges are just throwing positive GOEs at elements that don’t deserve them...

It is really simple. If a throw jump has enough positive bullets, like that jump obviously has, even when you deduct for mistake, you will still stay in plus. For example: +4 for positives -2/-3 for negatives/touch down = +2 or +1. Those are riskier/bigger throws harder to land and sometimes they end up with touch down with hand or free foot (see Aljona for example). That doesn't mean mandatory negative GOE as a final result! GOEs are judging as you are counting positive bullets at first and then deduct negatives from them so if there are more positives, element will end up with positive GOE.

gold12345

Medalist
What even are the GOEs in this event? All those pluses...just no.

I wonder if being able to go up to +5 has encouraged some of the judges to be more generous with the GOE even for elements that would normally get minus GOE. I don't fully understand it. But there are some instances where Tarasova/Morozov deserve +GOE even for a flawed throw. They simply have very noticably better quality throws to begin with than everyone else in this field.

newyn

On the Ice
Sounds very insightful! And no complaints from me! Those throws took my breath away, even if she had a bit of trouble controlling the landings. Tarasova is such a strong person inside and out.

Miriam and Severin were just a couple little hiccups away from the podium. So proud of them.

By the way, when are we going to get some awesome Finnish pairs teams?! Peltonen and Lindfors have been impressing for some time now and I'm ready for some Finnish pairs action!

Well, Alisa Efimova was born in Finland and representend Finland as a singles skater until she switched to pairs. I think her parents still live in Finland. Many a times have these commentators lamented the fact she chose to represent Russia. But there are no partners available in Finland and also ice time is a problem. So a pair team would have to train abroad which in turn would make it nearly impossible for a possible foreing partner to receive a Finnish citisenship. Also training abroad would be very expencive so that would not be an option for everyone, sadly.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Whenever Tarasova/Morozov finish their program their seem exhausted and as if they were about to faint from the effort they've just made. I don't know if they are physically very weak or their programs are so demanding that at the end they almost cough out their guts.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, just a fan girl for the two American teams, but I would rather see Deanna & Nate withdraw if she is still sick than skate. No one can say that either of them are slackers.

And so glad that Ashley & Tim had a better skate today. Their SP gives me life, :clap: but that FP has great flow and draws me in as well. Hope to see them kill it at Golden Spin:hap10:

gold12345

Medalist
Those are riskier/bigger throws harder to land and sometimes they end up with touch down with hand or free foot (see Aljona for example). That doesn't mean mandatory negative GOE as a final result! GOEs are judging as you are counting positive bullets at first and then deduct negatives from them so if there are more positives, element will end up with positive GOE.

Very good point. Tarasova/Morozov's throws are more difficult to land than a team that is barely getting any height or distance on them. And they are properly rewarded for those qualities.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wasn't really impressed with a lot of the skates here today. Nice to see Ashley and Tim have a better skate, and enjoyed the Italians performance, but other than that, meh.

Ziotic

Medalist
Very good point. Tarasova/Morozov's throws are more difficult to land than a team that is barely getting any height or distance on them. And they are properly rewarded for those qualities.

Agreed, that they should get the positives, however they shoul not be getting +3/4, which they got severa of. Maybe +1 or even +2.
They don’t hit one of the key bullets, good takeoff and landing and therefore should be capped at +2.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I couldn't believe it. An Irish Step Dancing program with maybe twelve seconds of actual Irish steps in it. I mean he did a great job but that choreographer should be dragged to a ceili or two. It was about as Irish as sushi.

It was Misha Ge.

See ya next week, Jason. :)

Actually seeing T&I and Love is a B next to each other would be an interesting viewing experience. An epic story of heroism for romance and a cynical bluesy piece about heartbreak is sure a contrast.

Ooooooh yesssss I want it. Ditch the bowling shirt and Simon and Garfunkel and bring back Tristan! (In the dark-pants version of the costume, of course.)

Eloise14

Rinkside
Boikova/Kozlovskii are the pair on debut that appear more ready to be the third russian pair of this senior season.

I'm rooting for them too.

Me too, I really like them. Sometimes I ridiculously get annoyed when a pair team or ice dance team use the same music Gordeeva and Grinkov did (like it belongs to them or something lol) but I didnt mind Boikova and Kozlov performing to The Nutcracker.

I think they should have medaled at Skate Canada.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Hahaha, as a fan from a country with no good Figure Skaters in any Discipline, I really don't give a d**n. I choose my favourites for totally different reasons. So I love J/C because of their lines and innovative programmes, enjoy T/M because of their classic skating skills and her smile (yes, that can be a reason), love the Italians because of their costumes, am a big fan of Voronov in singles because of his tribute to Denis, and so on. I miss Fernandez, not because he is Spanish but because I loved his skating and I miss S/M the most. And they were German/French/Ukranian. Having said all this, a Finish pair couple doing good would be awesome!