2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

VenusHalley

Final Flight
That is Japanese homecooking for you. Overscoring other skaters and overlooking their flaws.

Poor Mako.

Did Rusfed really bully judges into lenient judging?

readernick

Medalist
Yuhana and Mako were definitely underscored. How does Yuhana end up with some of the lowest PCS of the event? She has great SS.

Rika's score (she is basically my favourite skater along with the leader here... they share as Jackie Wong said "difficulty with quality") was pretty fair. The overrotated 3Loop cost her about 2 points..... without that she would be within around 3 points of the leader. ( those three points can be explained because she doesn't have her lutz in the short (right now) and she doesn't backload her combo).

I hope Rika has an awesome long program. This competition is shaping up to be two girls competing for the top spot and everyone else competing for bronze. Go Rika, Go!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Yuhana is so adorable! It's so strange to see a fierce program from a girl like her, she's too cute!
Rika's 3A is gettin better and better, at this point, I can't even doubt her 3A anymore, it's been so consistent!

lusterfan

Final Flight
Yuhana and Mako were definitely underscored. How does Yuhana end up with some of the lowest PCS of the event? She has great SS.

Rika's score (she is basically my favourite skater along with the leader here... they share as Jackie Wong said "difficulty with quality") was pretty fair. The overrotated 3Loop cost her about 2 points..... without that she would be within around 3 points of the leader. ( those three points can be explained because she doesn't have her lutz in the short (right now) and she doesn't backload her combo).

I hope Rika has an awesome long program. This competition is shaping up to be two girls competing for the top spot and everyone else competing for bronze. Go Rika, Go!

Yuhana suffered from the PCS ceiling of being a new senior skating in the first group. Her mistake also didn't help her case, but I do agree that relative to everyone else her score was low.

Mako deserved more as well, but she had just come back from a complete meltdown from Skate America - and we know judges are hesitant to suddenly change PCS by too much. Although she vastly improved, she still looked a bit slow and especially weak in the spins. I just hope she'll be able to pull through in the FS. If she skates her best, bronze would not be out of the equation!

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I think Yuhana and Mako were scored fairly. Based on their reaction to the scores in the K&C, I think they think they were scored fairly too.

In other news, Kihira did not successfully land a quad in this morning's practice. No word yet as to whether she will try to include it in her program tonight. Personally, I think she should bottle it up here, lock down the silver, and aim for getting it ready for the GPF.

lusterfan

Final Flight
I think Yuhana and Mako were scored fairly. Based on their reaction to the scores in the K&C, I think they think they were scored fairly too.

In other news, Kihira did not successfully land a quad in this morning's practice. No word yet as to whether she will try to include it in her program tonight. Personally, I think she should bottle it up here, lock down the silver, and aim for getting it ready for the GPF.

Well at the same time, if she hopes to have it ready by GPF it wouldn't hurt to try it here for more experience.

I'd understand not wanting to risk it if competition is tight, but she'd only lose the silver if she completely implodes at this point. She may even get gold if she lands the 4S.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Well at the same time, if she hopes to have it ready by GPF it wouldn't hurt to try it here for more experience.

I'd understand not wanting to risk it if competition is tight, but she'd only lose the silver if she completely implodes at this point. She may even get gold if she lands the 4S.

Indeed, a ur 4S fall is worth as much as the 2T 2Lo it would replace. She has nothing to lose except confidence during the program. Arguably working on a 4S, 3A and 3Lz simultaneously could be hard, but her 3A is fine.

Joekaz

On the Ice

You forgot one more reason Rika is in second. Alena is simply a better skater. No woman in history could have beaten Alena's short. If both clean Alena wins every time, unless you can do multiple quads.

lzxnl

Final Flight
You forgot one more reason Rika is in second. Alena is simply a better skater. No woman in history could have beaten Alena's short. If both clean Alena wins every time, unless you can do multiple quads.

Beg to differ; give Rika a lutz and her score goes up by almost 3.5 points immediately. It's not a stretch for her to make up the remaining 1.5 through GOEs. More times than not? I agree. Every time? Perhaps not, especially if Alena's lutz edge is actually called (flat as a pancake yesterday).

Joekaz

On the Ice
Beg to differ; give Rika a lutz and her score goes up by almost 3.5 points immediately. It's not a stretch for her to make up the remaining 1.5 through GOEs. More times than not? I agree. Every time? Perhaps not, especially if Alena's lutz edge is actually called (flat as a pancake yesterday).
In general skating ability there is no comparison. Rika is a very good skater with sound technique that has a 3A. Alena is spectacular. If 3A and quads were banned, Alena would still be the best in the world. Rika would have a hard time making the podium at Japanese nationals, especially if Higuchi got straightened out. And the two Russian quadsters would have to stay in juniors.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
General skating ability is subjective.

In a world without quads and 3As Rika would mow through her arsenal of regular jumps and have all time in the world to concentrate on her interpretation and artistry. She'd be lethal.

She's already the complete package, imagine if she didn't have to bother with hard jumps.

readernick

Medalist

This is a very uninformed response. Alena is also one of my favourite skaters but the difference between the two is not as great as you would make it seem. They both have excellent 3As, Rika's 3Lz is better ( since it is a real lutz), they both have great SS, and are excellent all round skaters. I actually personally prefer Rika's SP to Alena's.I think she is listening to the music more than Alena and the choreography is very unique. (although I prefer Alena's interpretation in the free)

The difference in PCS and GOE on most elements ( other than the botch 3Loop) is very small. If Rika had her 3Lz and backloaded her combo like Alena their scores would be very similar if both are clean. Within one or two points probably... However, Alena is a more consistent performer.. and that gives her an edge.. although Rika has better technique on her jumps.

Rika doesn't need multiple quads to beat Alena. She needs her lutz back and she needs to be perfectly clean.. A 4S would likely secure a win for her. I honestly don't care if Alena wins or Rika wins... they are both amazing. But, your comment didn't provide any useful information.. what was the point of posting it?

Rika is in no danger of being off the podium at Japanese Nationals. Her elements and skating skills are amazing. If you don't like her or don't like her skating, that is fine. But, some PCS scores are not very subjective and Rika has great SS and excellent clean quality transitions.

Joekaz

On the Ice
General skating ability is subjective.

In a world without quads and 3As Rika would mow through her arsenal of regular jumps and have all time in the world to concentrate on her interpretation and artistry. She'd be lethal.

She's already the complete package, imagine if she didn't have to bother with hard jumps.
All judging of skating is subjective. Both TES and PCS are heavily subjective.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
I am so confused about the absolute conviction that Rika would not be #1 without her 3A. I love Rika, but Kaori is my favorite ladies' skater ever and I am also fond of Wakaba, Satoko, and Mai. Mai's out with an injury (and lost consistently against the other girls last season). Kaori has edge issues with her Lutz, and is known for popping or falling on around one jump per major competition. Satoko has... extremely tiny jumps and will be marked with <s all over by any strict panel. Wakaba has been having absolute meltdowns in her free. I do not see any of them challenging a 3A-less Rika who, even without an 3A (and for the sake of argument, without a 3Lz), still has the best technique in the field and incredible consistency with the rest of her jumps.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Indeed, a ur 4S fall is worth as much as the 2T 2Lo it would replace. She has nothing to lose except confidence during the program.
Ask Yuzuru what can happen when you try a quad you're not comfortable with...

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Smart move by Kihira giving up on the quad today.There's no shame in strategically shooting for silver and saving the big gun for the GPF.

Fourth for Yuhana, fifth for Mako. Great showing by the Japanese ladies.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Very very very smart move by baby girl. And she tripled it, no bailing out at the last minute. I'm so proud. She's come a long way mentally.

Heal that foot well once and for all. Get those lutzes back.

Haha I loathed her music this season and only tolerated it because I love Rika but apparently she can sell me anything. I really enjoy it now!

skatenewbie

Medalist
i think Rika didnt really have intention to put that 4S yet. She did it in practice but its clear her attempts were UR, or barely clean. Its good that she and her team did not rush it. She got 3T< on her 3-3, If she were squeaky clean, i guess ~155-156 is her max without the 3Lz, not bad but definitely not competitive against CLEAN Alena and Sasha. I'll be happy if she can defend her 4CC gold and win a world medal of any color, seeing how tough the competition is!

Mako and Yuhana kind of waste chance to up their SB but overall did pretty well. Yuhana is currently 23rd and can get pushed out by the end of the season. Mako will place among top 30 SB list and i think that is good enough to earn 1 GP invitation at least