2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Incredibly sorry for Mai and very happy for Marin at the same time...
I have a soft spot for both of them.. Now I'm going back to rewatching Mai's Universiade performances and Marin's junior worlds performances, and pray they manage to do this well on nationals and GPs (and that Mai will be able to go to Nationals, JapFed, don't let me down)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

Yes! So happy for Marin. I'm glad her season won't be over so soon and she has the opportunity to compete some more. She definitely needs more competitions to get her nerves under control.

I have no words how sorry I am for Mai, though. I really hope she can somehow get to Japanese Nationals anyway. But perhaps it's better to just concentrate on getting healthy again.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Very happy to get to see Marin live in Skate Canada, but maybe that's a monkey paw level of wish fulfillment lol... My darling certainly is a cactus.

As for poor Mai, I'll be sad to miss her lovely skating, but her health comes first. Hope she can recover and rebound from this and come back next season with vigour.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Really don't understand why Ayaka isn't getting these opportunities. They are not at all consistent with their decisions...if Marin is getting these opportunities because of her (long ago) accomplishments, then Mai should also be offered a path to Nationals.

Japanese fed doesn't decide who replaces Mai, Skate Canada does. And Ayaka is not eligible because she was not on the SB list from last year (she didn't do any international events). The only GP spot she could have gotten was the NHK host pick.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Sorry that Mai had to withdraw but this is so unfair to the slew of Japanese skaters who deserve a spot themselves (Ayaka, as mentinoed being one of them). Here's hoping that Marin makes the most of both opportunities.

Ayaka really needs to get out there for at least one ISU competition and stamp her name as having landed a 3A internationally. Ideally in a prolific event. She really does deserve it IMO.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Ayaka had a chance only for the NHK host pick. Host pick that Yuhana Yokoi got, with another GP.

Good that Marin got a 2nd GP.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Ayaka would be quite lucky to get CS, let alone GP stage. I hope they’ll give her one, if she has a nice sb, she might get gp next year.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
What are the last Challengers? I think Golden Spin of Zagreb and Ice star?
Maybe she can get a senior B. But senior Bs don't count for SBs.

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I have been wondering why Ayaka Hosoda don't get international assignment.

She finished 8th at last Senior National and named member of team A from JSF
but still get no opportunity even Senior B / Challengers.

Yes, she is lacking quality other than jumps and oldest eligible ladies in Japan,
so JSF sees no future for her and not deserved exemption from qualifying competition.

But she is a good example to show that figure skating is not only a teen girls sports,
if you train properly you can do difficult element when you are adult.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Akiko Suzuki competed at her first major championship at 24yo, got her first GP assignement at 23yo.
Weird that they don't want to give a chance to another late bloomer.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I have been wondering why Ayaka Hosoda don't get international assignment.

She finished 8th at last Senior National and named member of team A from JSF
but still get no opportunity even Senior B / Challengers.

Yes, she is lacking quality other than jumps and oldest eligible ladies in Japan,
so JSF sees no future for her and not deserved exemption from qualifying competition.

But she is a good example to show that figure skating is not only a teen girls sports,
if you train properly you can do difficult element when you are adult.

I think it's ageism too. Which is ridiculous, because clearly she's able to land bigger elements than skaters many years younger than her. And 24 isn't that old.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
No way... what will we do without her flowy jumps? Her "From My First Moment" program was probably my favorite SP at 2019 Worlds, hands down.

I am a huge fan of Kaori too and love her quirky character and powerful skating. But sadly she is just being realistic. At this point in time, she doesn't have a 3A or quad. Her body might not cope with trying to achieve more rotations. She's at university now and considering her future after skating. She may or may not make it to Beijing. I'm praying hard that she does master a more difficult jump and competes in Beijing, but will enjoy her just as she is for the few years left in her career.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
That's painfully honest from Kaori. I hope she continues to be involved in the sport because she really is a delightful personality, and I love her skating.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I think for skaters it can be hard to see past the current Olympic cycle. She must be laser-focused on Beijing right now but may find new motivation afterwards!

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Yuhana Yokoi had a great clean skate today at Finlandia and is currently in third place :) (Just the UR call on the combo)