2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 679 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

The domination of one country is against the spirit of international tournaments.

Oh, I don't know about that. I would say that the "spirit of international competitions" is, "may the best athlete win."

More generally, it is somewhat problematical to propose that countries have "rights." To me, the concept of "rights" attaches to individuals.

Anyway, welcome to Golden Skate. Post often, post long. (You jumped into the most contentious thread on the board, but good on ya!) :) )

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Anyways ... my bets our quadzilla, quad queen is going to show us a new world record next week. :)
And my other bet is that the difference in points between 1st and 2nd will be bigger (much bigger) than 20 points, fingers crossed!

I am never as nervous for Sasha as I have been for the others. She laughs off mistakes and just gets on with it, she's one tough little cookie our Sasha :biggrin:

When you consider MONEY, sponsors etc....

See, that's where the ISU is making a big mistake. They should market their new superstars to the hilt, worldwide.

Like in tennis, Roger Federer still rakes in the money by the tens of millions, advances the popularity of tennis everywhere, and has more fans in USA than he does in Switzerland.

You should hear how the TV sportscasters for figure skating in the USA are already gushing over Trusova and her compatriots.

Didn't Zagitova just get a big contract with a Japanese cosmetics firm. "Buy Shiseido skin cream and you, too, can look as beautiful as Alina Zagitova!"

KRIKIC08

Rinkside
When you consider Satoko Miyahiras rorations(max 2 level), there is no way she is a TOP10 skater.
She is very slow in skating, so she also does not deserve PCS about average to be fair.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
The Russians are extremely popular even in countries where they regularly trounce skaters from that country.

The cheers for them have been universally loud throughout all competitions

- - - Updated - - -

When you consider Satoko Miyahiras rorations(max 2 level), there is no way she is a TOP10 skater.
She is very slow in skating, so she also does not deserve PCS about average to be fair.

That's nice. Why don't you go over to the Japanese ladies thread and tell them that.

She's not even Russian. If you wish to insult a skater why do it here?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You could say that, but that would not be an example of a logical argument.

Here is an example of a logical argument:

All crows are black.
My pet George is a crow.
Therefore George is black.

But ...

(A) The Russian ladies got quote a few adverse calls from technical panels lately.

Therefore, (B) the reason for this is that many people in the ISU want to hold them back.

Statement (B) may be true or it may be false, but it does not follow from (A) by any chain of logical inference. It is just conjecture.

:clap:

Post hoc propter ergo hoc does not work in life and it does not work in skating. (Logical arguments always sound better gussied up in Latin:biggrin:)

KRIKIC08

Rinkside
But this sport is always controversial, because its based on human judging and not on goals.
And as we know humans tend to be biased, corrupt, unfair and stupid.
So its normal to be sceptic about judging.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
But this sport is always controversial, because its based on human judging and not on goals.
And as we know humans tend to be biased, corrupt, unfair and stupid.
So its normal to be sceptic about judging.

Well I don't know what kind of humans you hang around with but most of us are certainly not corrupt or stupid

- - - Updated - - -

It would be very undiplomatic...

I think I see what you're doing here...

It's not working

KRIKIC08

Rinkside
Maybe im paranoic, but
FIFA is not corrupt ?
ISU is not corrupt ?
Is there a sport organization without corruption scandals ?

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Maybe you should not consider this as an insult.
In sport its normal to criticize athletes.

Constructive criticism, yes. Insulting them, no.

Miyahara is a World Medalist, was 4th at 2018 Olympics and has numerous other medals. To say she is not a top ten skater is just not true.
I'm personally not a fan of hers, I find her boring but that is personal opinion. I do not deny her achievements

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe im paranoic, but
FIFA is not corrupt ?
ISU is not corrupt ?
Is there a sport organization without corruption scandals ?

Just because corruption is a thing and does happen it does not mean it always happens.

KRIKIC08

Rinkside
But she gets the medals only because the judges always neglect her underroratons and gift her with high PCS, she does not deserve.

UR and slowmotion speed are 2 constructive points, not insults.
When you look at FS history, there were always questionable calls in favor of some athletes, so "corruption" and bad scoring is a thing.

Arbitrary

Medalist
High powers agreed to decide the result of would be Nuclear War per results of the next GPF among female skaters.
The looser will destroy all its warheads...

KRIKIC08

Rinkside
Judging in 6.0 era was very subjective and problematic, so this sport has a bad tradition.
The new system is also problematic.
The GOEs bonuses are th high. (The malus id OK).
You cant really score 3 of 5 components objective. Come on, how do you judge: music interpretaton, composition and performance ?

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
See, that's where the ISU is making a big mistake. They should market their new superstars to the hilt, worldwide.

Like in tennis, Roger Federer still rakes in the money by the tens of millions, advances the popularity of tennis everywhere, and has more fans in USA than he does in Switzerland.

You should hear how the TV sportscasters for figure skating in the USA are already gushing over Trusova and her compatriots.

Didn't Zagitova just get a big contract with a Japanese cosmetics firm. "Buy Shiseido skin cream and you, too, can look as beautiful as Alina Zagitova!"
Overall I definitely agree with your post, just couldn't help but say though(as a swiss person) Roger is definitely very beloved here and you will probably not find a person that at least doesn't know him ;) besides that I definitely agree