2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 719 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
You clearly do not spend time on sports.ru

Unfortunately, you can find there most of the latest information. I already know and don’t read some crazy authors on both sides. But they breed like rabbits.

But you understand that all this is more a joke and a game. Like fans of Inter and Milan or Spartak and CSKA.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Here is what I truly truly do not understand:

Zhenya is every bit as Russian as she was three years ago. She represents her country proudly and any country would be proud to have her. But they don’t. She is Russian. And I was glad to see how much the crowd at Rostelecom loved her.

Training in Canada is no more “disrespect” to Russia than my spousal unit obtaining one of his degrees from Oxford was disrespect to America. In both cases, it is a young person making the best decision they can for their future. And if you love the young person, you support their decision.

I also don’t understand following a coach. I follow skaters. If Jason trains with Kori, I love Kori and his teammates there. If Jason trains with Brian, I love Brian and his teammates there. I imagine Zhenya’s longtime fans do the same thing.

Following a skating coach for the sake of following a coach makes no me. I’m not saying that to criticize, I’m saying I literally don’t understand it. Like alien writing from Mars. My skating fandom doesn’t work that way. So saying I don’t like certain aspects of a skater’s skating means zippity doo dah about their coach. I may criticize aspects of Vincent Zhou’s skating, it doesn’t mean I hate Tom Z. or Tammy Gambill or anyone at Broadmoor:confused:

And that may be where misunderstandings lie :shrug:

I am wondering where you see that people don't like Evgenia because she trains in Canada? There's nothing wrong with this and I haven't seen anything about her not being Russian because of it. Skaters train all over the world and still represent their country. Personally I've never enjoy Evgenia's skating whether she was with Eteri or Brian, but I also think she deserved all the medals she got - I think it could've been a toss up between her and the next skater below (like I though Kaetlyn should've won silver at the Olympics) sometimes, but it was close enough that it could've gone either way and she deserved her medals and titles.

From what I've seen on this forum, Evgenia had a lot of criticism for how she left her former coach Eteri, and not for actually leaving. They didn't end on good terms, and people took sides in the split. This happens when any skater leaves on less than good terms. Same thing happened when Yulia left Eteri to train with another Russian coach; the criticism wasn't that she was betraying her country, but for the way she handled it. She would've gotten the same criticism had she gone to any other coach, Russian or otherwise. Other Russian skaters who were criticized were Gubanova with Buyanova, Nugumanova with Mishin, Radionova with Goncharenko. And then a non-Russian example would be when Yuna left Brian - that was another split that was huge in the media and both parties were criticized heavily. The bigger the star, the bigger the drama, which was the case for Yuna and Evgenia. The only way to prevent that would be to have an amicable end to a coaching relationship, like Shoma with his coaches, and he didn't get much criticism for that (though he gets a different type of criticism for not having a coach at all....).

Bentley

Rinkside
Right now I would say the best Russian Ladies Skater is Anna Scherbakova. She is such a joy to watch, elegant, graceful and has the jumps too. Right behind for me is Alena Kosternaia. Also Elegant and graceful with an arsenal of jumps. Sasha Trusova is not far behind with her arsenal of jumps but needs to work on the grace and elegance. She remeinds me an awful lot of Julia. And these girls are 15 and 16 years old. Scary to think just how good they can become.
Alina and Zhenya are really going to have to step it up if they want to compete with these 3. I see them going 1-2-3 where ever they compete against each other.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
To be honest to the end, the response of fans of Zhenya is even worse.

Almost every day, articles on thick-footed, stupid hunchback A///, wicked witch and jumping robots, which will start puberty tomorrow, appear on some popular sites.

That kind of behaviour is disgusting whoever it is about or from.

Not all of it is from fans of Zhenya either

theteez

Rinkside
Country
Canada
What is this #$%£ about Eteri just working the system or that RusFed have the opinion you think they should/do? I doubt RusFed would want to try to prevent the technical prowess of many of their skaters from being rewarded.

Eteri is training talented girls to push the sport forward, to dismiss what she and her skaters do as simply "working the system" is disrespectful IMO.

Eteri was 'working the system' seasons ago when they were backloading all the jumps in their programs. Only her skaters did this and were very successful and look what happened - ISU immediately changed the rules and took away the backloading. Not going to be surprised if the ISU does come up with changes for next season with the outcry of people about the imbalance between the heavily favoured technical scores over the program components.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Eteri was 'working the system' seasons ago when they were backloading all the jumps in their programs. Only her skaters did this and were very successful and look what happened - ISU immediately changed the rules and took away the backloading. Not going to be surprised if the ISU does come up with changes for next season with the outcry of people about the imbalance between the heavily favoured technical scores over the program components.

And I don’t doubt that if the system changes again, Eteri and team will adjust accordingly to max out scores in the new system.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker

Backloading was a little bit different.
The purpose of the 10% bonus in the second half was to spread the jumps out more, backloading did the exact opposite.
Not backloading hasn't hurt Alina in the slightest.

Generally I think the judging system has always favoured TES more than PCS and for good reason. TES is easier to "measure" and to understand.

A quad jump is just that, whereas program components are largely subjective.

PCS is also used as a tool to "prop up" skaters quite often, and I fear giving more weight to it will only make that worse.

Bentley

Rinkside
Sasha is only 15 years old. Give her a break. She still has a lot growing to do and it is scary what she can be in a few years. I hope she can stay healthy because I am excited to see what she can become. She has the courage to push the envelope and that is what Figure Skating needs. Not those who want to play it safe with the same thing over and over.

Batsuchan

Medalist
I haven't read through the last 20 pages or so of this thread, so pardon me if this has been posted already, but here is a little clip on the 3 A's (Anna, Sasha, Aliona) from Japanese TV:
https://twitter.com/Mabt_3a4t/status/1195649192133189639?s=03

Basically just talking about how they've won all the events, and showing their quads and triple axels. This must've aired as part of the Rostelecom coverage. In the really short interview snippet with Sasha, she says (based on the Japanese translation), "You have to aim for perfection, so I want to perform without any mistakes."

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I haven't read through the last 20 pages or so of this thread, so pardon me if this has been posted already, but here is a little clip on the 3 A's (Anna, Sasha, Aliona) from Japanese TV:
https://twitter.com/Mabt_3a4t/status/1195649192133189639?s=03

Basically just talking about how they've won all the events, and showing their quads and triple axels. This must've aired as part of the Rostelecom coverage. In the really short interview snippet with Sasha, she says (based on the Japanese translation), "You have to aim for perfection, so I want to perform without any mistakes."

The 3A are so special. I am so glad that I am a fan of figure skating and that I can witness the history that they are making. They are all so unique in their own ways. I give a lot of credit to Team Tutberidze for allowing them to grow into unique and accomplished skaters, while being able to maintain a friendship between the three of them.

Decoder

On the Ice
So saying Zhenya has weak content is considered "hate" but saying Anna does isn't?

I saw "not even a costume change can hide those weaknesses" from the original poster only after seeing your quote. That's really an offensive comment. (Sorry I didn't respond directly to that original post - I didn't bother to.)

Decoder

On the Ice
Well most of the time skaters tend to be a bit easier in their jump content in exhibitions; its poor lighting and unnecessary risk and wear/tear on their bodies. If Sasha truly wants to make it to 2 Olympics (I'm assuming as a singles skater) she should really look at minimizing her quads in competitions that she doesn't need them in, especially something like the 4S were she has nasty falls and in exhibitions to reduce the wear and tear on her body. But then again given the Russian ladies field I understand a skater wanting to 'go for broke' at the top while they can

I think Sasha is still in the process of adjusting/stabilizing/polishing her quads, so I am fine with her trying those quads in competitions. But one thing I completely agree with you, that is, Sasha should not jump quads in exhibitions anymore.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
There's a hole in the bucket dear Liza, dear Liza,
There's a hole in the bucket! A Hole! A Hole!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Will you translate it differently? https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...oy-na-chempionat-rossii-1611544/?daysBefore=7

"Конечно, было бы хорошо, если бы ей удалось сразу отобраться в сборную, и нам не пришлось бы пытаться квалифицироваться через какой-либо другой турнир, как это было в прошлом сезоне. Хоть это и замечательно, что она получила второй шанс и воспользовалась им. Но я не думаю, что мы будем нацеливаться на какое-то конкретное место".

I would translate "ей удалось" as "she managed". There are efforts from her side implied. "Could immediately get to the team" for me personally as a non-native English speaker sound as if there ar only higher forces involved.

What I agree with in principle is that Orser did not have to say it in the first because objectively Zhenya stand 0 chances to beat any of 3A and clean Alina as well. HOnly a big time meltdown of those 4 could help. But to imply that the meltdown is welcome is not a good thing, imo.

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
I would translate "ей удалось" as "she managed". There are efforts from her side implied. "Could immediately get to the team" for me personally as a non-native English speaker sound as if there ar only higher forces involved.

What I agree with in principle is that Orser did not have to say it in the first because objectively Zhenya stand 0 chances to beat any of 3A and clean Alina as well. HOnly a big time meltdown of those 4 could help. But to imply that the meltdown is welcome is not a good thing, imo.

Thanks for the help.
"and we would not have to try to qualify through any other tournament, as it was last season." that’s what I had a complaint about. Knowing how last year's situation affected the image of Zhenya.

The words about three Alexandrs were certainly sarcasm.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
News clip excerpt from yesterday: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTiDcoup1c , including small interviews with TAT, Yagudin, Sof'ya Akat'yeva, relieved she 'survived' perhaps her first live interview (before or after her not so good performance in the EX)

The same channel has more 'behind the scenes' clips from 1tv.ru, showing details of the mental and physical preparations that usually take place out of view.

There also seemed to be a meeting with selected young fans, apparently Rodina sneaked herself into the audience: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u-8BXuxeAw

From many other clips I noticed security was strict, guards were everywhere around the skaters and coaches, so why did they let Rodina in? Her threats of physical violence against Zagitova should be public knowledge in FFKKR and Khrustalniy? Was she again accredited by some yellow pages rag?

Decoder

On the Ice
News clip excerpt from yesterday: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTiDcoup1c , including small interviews with TAT, Yagudin, Sof'ya Akat'yeva, relieved she 'survived' perhaps her first live interview (before or after her not so good performance in the EX)

The same channel has more 'behind the scenes' clips from 1tv.ru, showing details of the mental and physical preparations that usually take place out of view.

There also seemed to be a meeting with selected young fans, apparently Rodina sneaked herself into the audience: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u-8BXuxeAw

From many other clips I noticed security was strict, guards were everywhere around the skaters and coaches, so why did they let Rodina in? Her threats of physical violence against Zagitova should be public knowledge in FFKKR and Khrustalniy?

Like this girl, Sof'ya Akat'yeva. Don't understand what she's saying, but she is the first Eteri girl to jump both 3A and 4T in one competition.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Problem with many online communities and message boards is that all members are supposed to be equal, but in practice some are more equal than others. I.e. day 1 members, founders, supporters, previous moderators, the usual 'incrowd', have certain unwritten privileges over the common, newer and younger members. Best get used to it, when you run a board of your own, you'll find out it is quite difficult to uphold the rules and universal values of equality, free speech. And moderating a 'hot board' is neither fun nor easy and takes a lot of your time and energy.

Nothing to get really upset over, like deletion of 'unfavourable' postings. Happens to everyone who is passionate about something. Others keep beating the same old dead horse to no avail and sometimes loose themselves.

Most of the discussions between the 'old' and the 'new' quickly degrade in rhetoric battles out of their respective ivory towers without any actual content related to the theme being discussed.

I put them on 'ignore' , or just try to avoid a thread for a while until the general topic has changed. Which is difficult in this thread ...

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I saw "not even a costume change can hide those weaknesses" from the original poster only after seeing your quote. That's really an offensive comment. (Sorry I didn't respond directly to that original post - I didn't bother to.)

And now you’re grasping at straws. That’s not a bash at all, and if you’re a fan of her then you’d truly see that she does have weaknesses and her team needs to address them. The judges are letting her team know based on her scoring. Any fan of skating knows. Again, that’s not a personal bash of a skater. You may need to take a break from skating and message boards if you take things so personally. Nobody said her win wasn’t correct.