2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 957 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

SkateSkates

Medalist
I'm afraid it's not how the PCS works today unfortunately. I also hope it would reflect what we see but mostly it does not.
Europeans and Worlds are known for boosting the PCS for all, so I expect it to go up for all 3A from GPF a bit. Maybe not as high as at RusNats but close.
We'll see how it goes.

It does for some skaters at some events 🤣

Amei

Record Breaker
Trusova is planning 5 Quads in FP and 3A in SP.

Anna with 3 Quads if FP.

Alyona with 3A in SP and 2 3As in FP.

A bit of what I don't understand is Anna's FS layout, according to the sheets that were submitted she is moving her 4Lz+3T to be her 4th jumping pass, so she's planned to the 4LZ, 4F, 2A, 4Lz+3T. I think its dangerous moving the combo to be the second 4Lz because if she falls on the second 4lz and can't do the 3T then she not only loses points for the fall and the lack of combo, she'll also get dinged for a repeat jump. And it's not like this layout puts that combo in the second half. The only thing I can think is that either it's a typo or some strange training to move the combo at Worlds to be in the bonus section, which if that's the case - then I really question their competition plan for her - she's never done a quad in the bonus section and to potentially move the combination to that part and debut it at worlds sounds like a recipe for disaster on the biggest stage and risk losing the sweep (I would love to be proven wrong). If she is needing to save her legs a bit for the newer 4F, why wouldn't they just move the 4F to be the first jump and the rest of the layout to be 4lz+3t, 2A, and 4Lz.

colormyworld240

Medalist
It would be interesting if she could land all of those quads, which she cannot.

This has been said about many skaters' jumps, but many have proven that this is not the case. Alina won her world title last season after a messy season. Kaetlyn won her olympic and world medals after the same narrative for several seasons. Anna went from skipping a season, coming in 13th at nationals, missing her 4Lz all season and having a bad GPF to landing every single one the next season. Alena went from being injured and "the one left behind" to getting a consistent 3A and wining GPF the next season.

As for Sasha herself, she went from falling on her 4S all season to becoming the first female skater to land 2 quads. If everyone just said "they can't do it" when skaters are trying to learn new jumps, no one would have ever gotten their singles, let alone quads.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
I'm curious, where were the eyes of the author of that vid? Apparently he didn't realize that Alina Urushadze (GEO) is born and lives in Moscow and Nelli Ioffe (ISR) hails from Vladimir and also trains in Moscow. The total number of Russian female skaters representing other countries is 7. Alina made quite a good impression during recent Youth Olys, btw.

Urushadze was born in Riga and has Georgian father and Latvian Mother.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
A bit of what I don't understand is Anna's FS layout, according to the sheets that were submitted she is moving her 4Lz+3T to be her 4th jumping pass, so she's planned to the 4LZ, 4F, 2A, 4Lz+3T. I think its dangerous moving the combo to be the second 4Lz because if she falls on the second 4lz and can't do the 3T then she not only loses points for the fall and the lack of combo, she'll also get dinged for a repeat jump. And it's not like this layout puts that combo in the second half. The only thing I can think is that either it's a typo or some strange training to move the combo at Worlds to be in the bonus section, which if that's the case - then I really question their competition plan for her - she's never done a quad in the bonus section and to potentially move the combination to that part and debut it at worlds sounds like a recipe for disaster on the biggest stage and risk losing the sweep (I would love to be proven wrong). If she is needing to save her legs a bit for the newer 4F, why wouldn't they just move the 4F to be the first jump and the rest of the layout to be 4lz+3t, 2A, and 4Lz.

If that's not just an error, it could be the way how to get a clean 4F. I can't see any other explanation.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
What is good for goose is good for the gander. Let's be frank pcs are now a joke. Look at Nathan Chen - tech his jump content is amzing but his pcs should be way lower.

I think that with Russian girls is a completely different story than with an American man. Otherwise, Alena would not get +12 pcs over Sasha.

I know this is an unpopular opinion. And that many will say that it is right that Alena deserves these PCs, but Sasha does not. But listen - 12 points is worth a 4lz . This is a clean 4 Lz presented by judges for Alena, which she probably will never receive in real life. Something is wrong here, I can not agree with this. IMO

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I don't know why people watch figure skating, but for me personally, there is nothing more interesting in ladies fs than watching Trusova going for quadfest

Alexandra is Ronnie O'Sullivan of ladies Figure Skating

Love Ronnie, great analogy.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Sport Express live stream discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-74rcxTsk8

Themes touched upon and/or discussed in this time line:
1:45 Question about the age limit
2:30 We return to the championship of Russia:
5:27 Withdrawal of Medvyedeva: not all skaters believe Yevgeniya
10:17 Tuktamysheva not upset over fourth place
11:55 Triple Axels of the group Misha and Samodurova’s being hated: What is happening?
14:18 Tuktamysheva is already a brand
18:44 Tutberidze Show in the den of the Professor
20:55 The main rivals of the Tutberidze group at the European Championship are students of Orser, Plyushchenko and haters
25:31 Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaya - which of them is favourite?
29:27 A split in Tutberidze's Trio - is it real?
37:27 Foreigners demand an increase in the age limit - is it envy or concern?
43:12 Insiders from the ISU Congress: will the ban on quadruples be lifted and figure skating will be divided into two separate types?
49:03 In Russia, competitions are more interesting than abroad
52:28 Is it realistic to take Gold in dancing?
55:16 Our men: who goes to the European Championship, who will fly out before the World Championships and why the chances of gold are high
1:00:30 The problem with the growth of our singles and the loss of the Youth Olympics
1:04:36 In pairs - the coolest confrontation in the style of female singles
1:12:33 Canadian Championship, USA and Medvyedeva citizenship

What were their comments at 5:27?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Edwin is some confusing. It needs to distinguish skaters from h*ters bullying.

Edwin only translated what’s written by Sport-Express in the description of the video.
Reporters from Sport express wrote “not all figure skaters” not Edwin.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Edwin only translated what’s written by Sport-Express in the description of the video.
Reporters from Sport express wrote “not all figure skaters” not Edwin.

And they were a bit ambiguous about 'haters' in the several contexts that passed in the discussion.

Best read 'sceptics', and SE is somewhat of a sensationalist publication sometimes. Still, I think Bespalova and Kuznetsov are doing a reasonable job.

McBibus

On the Ice
I think that with Russian girls is a completely different story than with an American man. Otherwise, Alena would not get +12 pcs over Sasha.

I know this is an unpopular opinion. And that many will say that it is right that Alena deserves these PCs, but Sasha does not. But listen - 12 points is worth a 4lz . This is a clean 4 Lz presented by judges for Alena, which she probably will never receive in real life. Something is wrong here, I can not agree with this. IMO

We can endlessy discuss of how much difference there is in various PCS between two or more given skaters but that's not the point (i.e. forget Aliona and Sasha for now)

TES score difference between skaters of the first group (top of the top) could be as much as 40 points.
If you're impying that a clear difference in PCS between two hipotetical skaters should not worth 1/3 of said TES difference, then we can abolish PCS and finally "upgrade" figure skating to barrel jumping.
I would most probably watch an acrobatic jumping competition on skates (it would be superfun), but it's not figure skating.
Figure skating is chasing an impossible balance between the athletic and the artistic components of the performance.

I don't expect the same amount of difference in PCS as there could be in TES, especially in a moment where the jumps are evolving, but both TES and PCS should be crucial to the final score.

micks

Rinkside
And they were a bit ambiguous about 'haters' in the several contexts that passed in the discussion.

Best read 'sceptics', and SE is somewhat of a sensationalist publication sometimes. Still, I think Bespalova and Kuznetsov are doing a reasonable job.
Yes. And they didn't say "figure skaters" in that part of discussion.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
The ban on quads will not be removed, and mature skating will be stimulated. What reforms await figure skating

The ISU Congress in the summer of 2020 may discuss the idea of ​​dividing figure skating into technical and artistic programs.

One of the main events of the year in figure skating is not the upcoming European Championship or even the World Championship in Montreal. And the place where it will take place is not winter at all - but the resort city of Phuket in Thailand, and the time is not suitable for ice - June. And everything that happens there within the framework of the ISU Congress can have far more far-reaching consequences than the victory of anyone at the World Championships and even the Olympic Games. And the Games themselves can be held in a new format. In any case, according to SE, the ISU Congress will definitely consider this possibility.

The proposals of the national federations before the congress are assembled by a technical committee consisting of six people and a chairman. In the individual skating committee, the Italian chairman, and representatives of Japan, Finland, Belgium, Australia, Switzerland and Russia (Fyodor Klimov). A few months before the meeting, the committee votes on which proposals to move forwards and which to send to the bin. Or, for example, for revision. And for some of them the verdict is known. The date when the draft new rules will be sent out to the national federations is February 1. That is, very soon. Here are three main episodes worth paying attention to.

Ban on Quadruples

According to our information, the lifting of this ban in the foreseeable future will not happen. The technical committee has already voted on the issue and rejected the proposal to lift the ban, which Russia supported. As expected, it’s not at all easy for the rivals to give our skaters an advantage in the short program as well - it already goes off scale according to the results of their free programs. Unfortunately, this initiative will have to be forgotten for at least two years. At the congress, according to a source, it will not be mentioned.

Age Qualification

In all likelihood, this issue will be voted in Congress. It is difficult to expect the opposite, when the last time an increase in the age limit to 17 years was urgently included in the agenda of the meeting at the suggestion of The Netherlands. The representative of this country, Jan Dijkema, heads the ISU. But because of the urgency of the proposal, it had to score 4/5 of the votes to enter the agenda. It got 63 votes in favour with 39 votes against and 15 abstentions. In the case of the struggle for the simple majority, everything is very thin and far from in Russia's favour. We assume that our federation is not going to shoot itself in the foot and will vote against. But it is quite possible that soon we will see another figure skating. That same 'more mature'. The rest is with the juniors.
At the same time, it is possible to reassure the current senior group of Tutberidze's - if the changes are accepted, then from the season 2022/23 onwards, so as not to return the competitng 15-16-year-old skaters back to junior level. So, Aleksandra Trusova, Alyona Kostornaya and Anna Shcherbakova should not fall under the blow of reform.

New Division of Programs

Another proposal, which, according to the source, the technical committee passed, is truly revolutionary. This division of programs in figure skating in technical and artistic - instead of short and arbitrary. About this idea in the summer, “SE” was told by ISU Vice-President Aleksander Lakernik:
- There is an idea about changing the competition, so that the short and free programs are much more different from each other and have the same weight, to give the same medals for them. The work is underway. But how successful this development is, remains a question. If everything works out, then really new disciplines, medals at the Olympics will appear.

The bottom line is that in the technical program, the elements themselves will be evaluated with a weight of 60%, and the components will be 40%, and in the artistic program it will be vice versa. Moreover, there is hope that this will generate a draw of new sets of medals at the Olympics. It is not known how the IOC will react to ISU's initiative and how the Congress itself will vote, but at least in this case the organisers will not need to expand the schedule. It’s just that now for each part a separate medal will be awarded. And probably this is one of the last chances to ensure a long life in figure skating for those who are technically at a disadvantage, including stars like Alina Zagitova or Yevgeniya Medvyedeva.

So far, programs in figure skating essentially differ only in the selection of music and duration. It is interesting how, if a positive decision is made, they will solve the issue of a ban on quads. Perhaps it will be transferred to the artistic program, in which there will be fewer jumps. A similar system exists in synchronised swimming, where at the World Championships they even present individual medals for the technical program. In it there is an assessment for the specifically prescribed mandatory elements, and in an arbitrary emphasis is placed on the overall complexity of the composition. Surely the artistic program will untie the skaters arms and legs, which are now very limited by the rules. But how will the public perceive the innovations?

(c) Дмитрий Кузнецов
-----
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...chto-takoe-artisticheskaya-programma-1633869/

More from SE:

The female skaters Kostornaya, Shcherbakova and Trusova will travel to Graz tomorrow: https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...riletyat-v-grac-na-chempionat-evropy-1633831/

And the rink resembles a hangar: https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...-angar-dlya-zvezd-figurnogo-kataniya-1633889/

Which made me think what made ISU decide to have a continental championships in B-grade premises?

Albus

Match Penalty
The ban on quads will not be removed, and mature skating will be stimulated. What reforms await figure skating

The ISU Congress in the summer of 2020 may discuss the idea of ​​dividing figure skating into technical and artistic programs.

One of the main events of the year in figure skating is not the upcoming European Championship or even the World Championship in Montreal. And the place where it will take place is not winter at all - but the resort city of Phuket in Thailand, and the time is not suitable for ice - June. And everything that happens there within the framework of the ISU Congress can have far more far-reaching consequences than the victory of anyone at the World Championships and even the Olympic Games. And the Games themselves can be held in a new format. In any case, according to SE, the ISU Congress will definitely consider this possibility.

The proposals of the national federations before the congress are assembled by a technical committee consisting of six people and a chairman. In the individual skating committee, the Italian chairman, and representatives of Japan, Finland, Belgium, Australia, Switzerland and Russia (Fyodor Klimov). A few months before the meeting, the committee votes on which proposals to move forwards and which to send to the bin. Or, for example, for revision. And for some of them the verdict is known. The date when the draft new rules will be sent out to the national federations is February 1. That is, very soon. Here are three main episodes worth paying attention to.

Ban on Quadruples

According to our information, the lifting of this ban in the foreseeable future will not happen. The technical committee has already voted on the issue and rejected the proposal to lift the ban, which Russia supported. As expected, it’s not at all easy for the rivals to give our skaters an advantage in the short program as well - it already goes off scale according to the results of their free programs. Unfortunately, this initiative will have to be forgotten for at least two years. At the congress, according to a source, it will not be mentioned.

Age Qualification

In all likelihood, this issue will be voted in Congress. It is difficult to expect the opposite, when the last time an increase in the age limit to 17 years was urgently included in the agenda of the meeting at the suggestion of The Netherlands. The representative of this country, Jan Dijkema, heads the ISU. But because of the urgency of the proposal, it had to score 4/5 of the votes to enter the agenda. It got 63 votes in favour with 39 votes against and 15 abstentions. In the case of the struggle for the simple majority, everything is very thin and far from in Russia's favour. We assume that our federation is not going to shoot itself in the foot and will vote against. But it is quite possible that soon we will see another figure skating. That same 'more mature'. The rest is with the juniors.
At the same time, it is possible to reassure the current senior group of Tutberidze's - if the changes are accepted, then from the season 2022/23 onwards, so as not to return the competitng 15-16-year-old skaters back to junior level. So, Aleksandra Trusova, Alyona Kostornaya and Anna Shcherbakova should not fall under the blow of reform.

New Division of Programs

Another proposal, which, according to the source, the technical committee passed, is truly revolutionary. This division of programs in figure skating in technical and artistic - instead of short and arbitrary. About this idea in the summer, “SE” was told by ISU Vice-President Aleksander Lakernik:
- There is an idea about changing the competition, so that the short and free programs are much more different from each other and have the same weight, to give the same medals for them. The work is underway. But how successful this development is, remains a question. If everything works out, then really new disciplines, medals at the Olympics will appear.

The bottom line is that in the technical program, the elements themselves will be evaluated with a weight of 60%, and the components will be 40%, and in the artistic program it will be vice versa. Moreover, there is hope that this will generate a draw of new sets of medals at the Olympics. It is not known how the IOC will react to ISU's initiative and how the Congress itself will vote, but at least in this case the organisers will not need to expand the schedule. It’s just that now for each part a separate medal will be awarded. And probably this is one of the last chances to ensure a long life in figure skating for those who are technically at a disadvantage, including stars like Alina Zagitova or Yevgeniya Medvyedeva.

So far, programs in figure skating essentially differ only in the selection of music and duration. It is interesting how, if a positive decision is made, they will solve the issue of a ban on quads. Perhaps it will be transferred to the artistic program, in which there will be fewer jumps. A similar system exists in synchronised swimming, where at the World Championships they even present individual medals for the technical program. In it there is an assessment for the specifically prescribed mandatory elements, and in an arbitrary emphasis is placed on the overall complexity of the composition. Surely the artistic program will untie the skaters arms and legs, which are now very limited by the rules. But how will the public perceive the innovations?

(c) Дмитрий Кузнецов
-----
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...chto-takoe-artisticheskaya-programma-1633869/

More from SE:

The female skaters Kostornaya, Shcherbakova and Trusova will travel to Graz tomorrow: https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...riletyat-v-grac-na-chempionat-evropy-1633831/

And the rink resembles a hangar: https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...-angar-dlya-zvezd-figurnogo-kataniya-1633889/

Which made me think what made ISU decide to have a continental championships in B-grade premises?

Russia should leave isu. Immediately. Let this disgusting shameful organisation to go bankrupt. Russian figure skating worse way more then the whole world's combined. They don't even use Russian language lol, which should be a mandatory for isu.

- - - Updated - - -

What were their comments at 5:27?

go and listen

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Skating rink in a tarpaulin tent and Aleksandra Trusova's program is the most difficult, even in the men. Highlights before the start of the European Championships

The Russian team joins the fight for medals on January 22.

European Figure Skating Championships to be held in Graz January 22-26
- The Russian team has the maximum representation - three participants in each discipline
- Due to problems with the rink, the organisers had to re-equip a large canvas tarpaulin for it, not suitable for competitions of this level
- Aleksandra Trusova announces the most difficult free program, including all participants in the men's tournament
- One of the Eteri Tutberidze's pupils will definitely become European Champion
- The Russian team has chances for medals in all types of programs

European Championship - the oldest annual tournament of all that is held in figure skating. The first competitions took place at the end of the XIX century, and at the beginning of the twenties of the twenty-first century interest in them only increased. Austria often became the mistress of the European championship, but in Graz it takes place for the first time in history.

From the very beginning, the organisation did not go according to plan. The Merkur Arena, which they were planning to use for the championship, refused to rent out - the local hockey team had other arrangements and there was no desire to make concessions. They had to urgently look for another suitable object, but in the small and beautifully open spaced Graz other specialised ice rinks of suitable capacity simply could not be found. Then the organizers decided to rent a place officially called the Exhibition Multifunctional Complex, fill it with ice and set up stands for 5 thousand people.

In appearance, the Exhibition Complex is a large canvas tent, which is in no way adapted to hold competitions of European Championships level. However, the Austrian side made every effort to ensure that, given these conditions, being in the “arena” does not turn into a nightmare for the participants in the competition and spectators . Not a nightmare - it doesn’t mean paradise either, but real fans who survived the super-cold 2011 European Championship in Bern can hardly be frightened by anything else.

The main problem is that the improvised skating rink is not too conveniently located in terms of transport accessibility. There are a couple of options for reaching by public transport, but it’s almost a kilometer to go to the destination from the nearest stop, and Graz, like any other small city, is completely dying out at eight in the evening: cafes and shops are closing, buses stop circulating, and you can meet on the street only tourists who are in a hurry to check into their hotel. But the shuttles for competitors so far go with German accuracy - every half hour.

The first trainings in Graz were held on Monday, however, only a few went to them - few athletes like to arrive at the competition site so early. On Tuesday, you can already expect almost completely assembled training groups for all types, with the exception of girls - according to the competition program, the female skaters will enter the fight only on Thursday.

FEMALE SINGLE SKATING

The open Championship of Russia can ironically be recognised as the competition in women's single skating. Since the strongest Russian team in history consisting of Anna Shcherbakova, Alyona Kostornaya and Aleksandra Trusova will come to Graz, the rivals simply do not have any chances at the medals. And this is not even a precedent when all the awards of the continental championship were taken by the Russians. The last time this happened in 2015 and 2016, and the beginning was laid in 1999.

The main intrigue regarding the pupils of Eteri Tutberidze, as usual, is how this time the figure skaters will challenge themselves. On the one hand, it is difficult to imagine conditions better than the European Championship to try new elements and skate out programs in a more complex version. On the other hand, the title of European Champion is at stake - it is not so easy to refuse it even in thoughts, having given up verified content in favour of the revolutionary.

Practice shows that the planned content of athletes often have little in common with what they ultimately perform in competitions. Nevertheless, it’s impossible to shudder even from Aleksandra Trusova’s hypothetical planned content for her arbitrary program - we already saw five quadruple jumps in her plan earlier in the season, but this is still an unattainable bar for Sasha and it is still the most difficult set among all the participants in the European Championship, including the men.

In the short program, Trusova also plans a triple Axel.
Really nice photo with Sasha's sparkling eyes: https://s-cdn.sportbox.ru/images/st...7ec883061fda701b7fb5e26e7877497c716599474.jpg

Anna Shcherbakova continues to stabilise the set of jumps that brought her victory in the Russian Championship: two quadruple Lutz's and a quadruple Flip. In the case of clean performance, Anya's higher second mark guarantees her superiority over Trusova, and a more sophisticated technique over Kostornaya.

As for Alyona Kostornaya, in her planned content sheet are the same two triple Axels in her free and one in her short program. Given the stability of this jump, the skater has every chance of two clean skating runs and a personal record. All this will definitely bring her a medal, but its dignity will depend on the performances of her friends and rivals.

Among the competitors from other countries it will be interesting to see Alexia Paganini (Switzerland), Yekaterina Ryabova (Azerbaijan), Emmy Peltonen (Finland), Yekaterina Kurakova (Poland), Anastasiya Galustyan (Armenia) and Nicole Schott (Germany).

parts on men, dance and pairs omitted from this thread.
-----
From: https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...rusovoj_Glavnoje_o_starte_chempionata_Jevropy

ruga

Final Flight
But is anyone surprised that quads won't be allowed in SP next year? No one is going to make such a big change which could benefit certain skaters in the middle of Olympic cycle. If there were no skaters landing quads then it would be another story, but now skaters make plans for the Olympic season, maybe including thoughts about whether to learn a 3A or quads.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I'm truly saying NO to dividing into two competitions. The artistic competition would become something like ice dance where you can arrage the teams by their PB and with 95 % success you get final standings. It is too much about the preference over the performance.