2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance

rain

Record Breaker
Well, I'm glad Piper and Paul won the FD. I'm disappointed. I thought they were enough better to win overall.

I think the judges probably see W/P as the better bet for worlds and want to send them as national champions. Which makes it sound like I don't like them, which is not the case. I just thought at this competition, overall, it was Piper and Paul. W/P did have the strongest RD though.

Final Flight
I’m going to get roasted for this, but: I feel like this programme is just a generic programme they had and then they stapled the “tribute” motif on afterward. It always comes off as tacky to me. Even if it’s a sincere gesture, it just feels very tabloid and cheap.

No im with you! Very much agreed!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I’m going to get roasted for this, but: I feel like this programme is just a generic programme they had and then they stapled the “tribute” motif on afterward. It always comes off as tacky to me. Even if it’s a sincere gesture, it just feels very tabloid and cheap.

roasted is a light word.

I totally disagree. Weapo are very genuine in interviews and they are far from being cheap and sensationalist.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
No im with you! Very much agreed!

If I didn’t know this was a tribute to Ten, I would never come to that conclusion just watching the programme.

Piper and Paul’s FD has more to say about loss and the brevity of life, as far as I’m concerned.

Ziotic

Medalist
If I didn’t know this was a tribute to Ten, I would never come to that conclusion just watching the programme.

Piper and Paul’s FD has more to say about loss and the brevity of life, as far as I’m concerned.

I agree with the theme of G/P being more about the morning and loss and they express it very well.

I think W/P is more about the musical connection to Denis and not so much about loss.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
To each his own. I personally struggle to connect with G/P's FD this season... too many acrobatic lifts that seem just there for the difficulty factor, or that's how I see it. Meanwhile the only thing I didn't like about WeaPo's program tonight was Kaitlyn's dress ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

i am busy doing something else... go to denis's tribute thread. i think it is in there that i analyzed the choreo with the words with it being a tribute to denis.

do not forget who is sitting down with them in KNC : Morozov, former coach of Denis. They were doing Denis's tour and had just been with him.

YMMV

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I really wanted Piper and Paul to win this, but I enjoyed the heck out of this competition anyway. The dancing at US Nats is going to seem like an afterthought next weekend.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
roasted is a light word.

I totally disagree. Weapo are very genuine in interviews and they are far from being cheap and sensationalist.

It’s raining ice here, so I welcome all flames. [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]

I’m not saying Weapo are tacky or sensationalist. They seem like lovely people who were genuinely shocked by Ten’s death. I just don’t like the “tribute” programme. It feels... off, in a sport as dedicated to theatrics and acting as ID. And I personally don’t enjoy being reminded of Ten’s death whenever they skate — I can’t touch that topic without bawling — and it’s just uncomfortable.

I also still don’t see the “tribute” in the programme. I guess I wish they just let the programme speak for itself without attaching the tribute tag, as that immediately adds a lot of baggage and expectation that I don’t think the programme itself is strong enough to carry.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

Here were the thoughts I posted after I saw their FD at ACI:

I was left speechless for a bit of time after seeing W/P's free dance today. As I mentioned in the competition thread, their RD was spellbinding. However, I don't think I have felt such raw emotions from watching a program in quite a while, as I did today with their FD. I haven't watched the archived video yet(a bit too soon for me) but I suspect that the full impact of this dance especially can only be felt as a member of the audience.

Camerlango and W/P created something very special. They incorporated beautiful mirroring choreography in their one foot step sequence. The straight line lift was ethreal, as if Kaitlyn was looking up to the heavens. Great flow in the diagonal step sequence. Twizzles were somewhat slow but well synchronized and they seemed more confident doing them. I liked the sense of unity they created with their hands intertwined in the spin. Seamless choreographic elements and a fitting statuesque closing lift. The audience in the arena gave them a standing ovation and I think quite a few of us were deeply touched.

I felt privileged to get a chance to see them skate live for the first time and I'm glad that they will present these two beautiful dances to many more when they go on the Thank You Canada Tour. Overall, they looked very strong and seemed to have a renewed sense of purpose.

rain

Record Breaker

I think Weaver and Poje are sincere in their tribute, but I don't think it achieves the emotional depth that Piper and Paul do. I thought here they also looked a little cautious, thinking through the elements in their first competition of the season. I do find W/P's program, aside from some highlights I enjoy, to be more generic, whereas I think I remember every step of Piper and Paul's.

If I was Piper and Paul I'd head back to training and drill those RD patterns until I could hit the key points in my sleep. That was the real difference here between gold and silver.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ @billneal i had a similar post not sure where in this forum ... similar conclusions... one needs to understand the lyrics too.. which they do.