2019 European Championships Men's Short Program | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2019 European Championships Men's Short Program

Orlov

Medalist
I bet that Javi's 4T was called as an under-rotation or something. The technical controller is Julia Andreeva, a Russian judge who has a record of lowballing Japanese ladies skaters at the GPF.

You remember that the technical team consists of three members, right? :noshake:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Well, I didn‘t see any even in the replay and given how lax the judges punished URs before him... seems way too harsh. Like, come on. Misha deserved to be in first but Javi should be second without a question.

Stepping out is a big sign for UR jump, especially with the changed rules. 4S, im not sure? And his combo was 4-2. So a little mistakes here and there and TES will drop. EDIT: But judges cant choose the placements, they can just call < and levels and wait for the panel of judges and the scoring system to do the rest. They all may want Javi in 2nd, but according to their calls and numbers which follow those calls, it may be only possible for him to finish 1st or 3rd for example. That is how numbers in this system work :biggrin:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Wow, Javi had his 4S called <. I watched the replay multiple times and it was fully around. What an egregious call by the technical panel.

Danny T

Medalist
I think the quad was UR. Javi's score is fine on its own. Problem was they gave Samarin too much, both on the GOE and PCS.

Edit: wait what, how is the 4S UR?? The toe was, but the sal??????

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
You remember that the technical team consists of three members, right? :noshake:

Yep, and one of them is clearly biased which has more of an impact on a panel of just three members.

Also, by my understanding, the technical controller's determination is final unless the other two panelists disagree. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
It is never good to ruin a great event and a great (for what it took) skate send-off from Javier by puzzling judging, that 4S was the jump I would least suspect of UR...

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Watched Mikhail Kolyada, well holy 3Lz is still holy and he very much deserved that 100+. But it somehow felt that he was focusing way more on his tech (or maybe it's because I watched Javi before)... If he cleans his Toreador FS and performs he can get all the gold he wants though

Orlov

Medalist
Also, by my understanding, the technical controller's determination is final unless the other two panelists disagree. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Right. And this means that it was 2 against 1 (least). This is such a sport, get used to it. Or admire the sprint - everything is clear there.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
But apart from the Javi 4S< insanity, Kolyada deserves to be in first place. I hope this means he's been able to come back from his inconsistency in the middle of the season because his jumps and spins are fantastic when they are spot-on.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Yep, and one of them is clearly biased which has more of an impact on a panel of just three members.

Well, its the determination of any of them :biggrin: But one need to have at least one person more in the panel to agree with him. Anyone from the tech panel may call a jump UR, but another one must confirm his/her decision.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
Javi was underscored period and received harsher judging on his last competition. I will still have Misha in first but Javi should be closer to him and second.

WhiteProphet

On the Ice
Javi was underscored period and received harsher judging on his last competition. I will still have Misha in first but Javi should be closer to him and second.

Even with this score he would have been second if Samarin wasn't overscored in PCS, that was a joke.

Danny T

Medalist
I think Russian Nationals might have lit a fire under Misha. Of course there is still the free skate, but if the ordeal at Nats managed to give him additional hunger I'm glad :biggrin:

rachno2

Record Breaker
Watched Mikhail Kolyada, well holy 3Lz is still holy and he very much deserved that 100+. But it somehow felt that he was focusing way more on his tech (or maybe it's because I watched Javi before)... If he cleans his Toreador FS and performs he can get all the gold he wants though

No, I agree. I'll be the first to admit Misha is not the greatest performer (especially if you compare him to Javi), and he often focuses too much on the jumps. Skating skills are in a league of their own, though, and I think Lambiel did a good job with the composition/transitions of the program. And, let's be honest, he is a reigning World medalist and comes from a powerful fed. I don’t think Misha was overscored, but I do think some of the smaller fed skaters were shortchanged on PCS here relative to the Russians.

Like I said, Misha hasn't skated two clean programs in almost three (!) years. I think that was the last time he skated a clean free as well. So Javi is very much still in the race to win this. I'm just happy it was a good event, and that Misha was satisfied with his skate. :luv17:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Right. And this means that it was 2 against 1 (least). This is such a sport, get used to it. Or admire the sprint - everything is clear there.

In which case those two judges are absolutely wrong. The jump was fully rotated, not even close to a quarter cheat.

Underrotations get called wrong all the time in this sport nowadays and it's debilitating to everyone involved, and that includes Russian skaters who get their jumps UR when they shouldn't. I've even seen Zagitova get called on URs that shouldn't have been there. I don't think anyone should get used to bad calls.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I doesn't find the placements that scandalous....but well Samarin is not the most loved skater in the field. And 2016 Fernandez would have got 100+ with the same skate.
Fernandez still have all chances to win.

I understand why he doesn't want to go to worlds. If he was basically a lock for podium seasons ago, now it's more difficult to finish on podium. And i don't think he wants to finish his career off podium at worlds. While he can easily medal and win at Europeans.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I'm okay, too, Misha broke 100 and placing 1st, and I do understand why Javi and Misha are miles ahead of the others re skating skills. However, I have a say to judges tonight that Kevin lost on PCS to the likes of Misha and Samarin, esp on PE/CO/IN . :angry2: It's just 'not right'. Kevin should have been rewarded the best PCS of the night. :frown:

I too was surprised Javi got < call on his 4sal.
Samarin's 4Lz-3T was just :jaw: Could have gotten straight +5 by judges if the skater's name had been a Yuzuru//Javi/Nathan... His air position in jumps reminds me of Plushenko. Quality jumps, I agree but not much to mention the rest of the program, though... Very very nice to see Kovtun now doesn't throw away the performance even after a mistake on jump. He did try to sell the program. :)