2019 Four Continents Ladies Short Program | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Ladies Short Program

SXTN

Final Flight
How does Judge No. 1 dare to give Kaori's loop +3 only?

Even the +4's are questionable...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Just want to stress a cheesy line that I can watch Kaori's 3Lo in a loop. Forever.

Yes, I said it :laugh:

Her performance quality, integration of technical layer with soft emoting, pliable musicality in every single move she did, an ability to capture the spirit of music/lyrical side of the song (on which we can complain about arrangement/singer) were on absolute top yesterday. I wish that while recognizing & awarding Bradie's skill/execution of it, judges would do the same with same amount for Kaori's COMPLEXITY of skills - it gets really tiresome to see her skating like that, making such stride in her presentation in many areas yet being still considered not enough to score bigger. There was something sheer, dreamy about her performance, the softness over her expression and fluid movement in choreography, such lovely attention to musical nuance reflected in edge quality and carriage - one of very few ladies (maybe even the only one for me) who has an ability to sustain body movement/line/pose/motion together with the music: some of transitions and accentuation in step sequence held the musical tone so greatly, prolonging the feel, the sound...And I personally love that aesthetic for her - a bit lyrical, a bit romantic, something with distinct rhythm to it, yet with space to phrase music by movement and interpret it in skater's own way which Kaori did for me.

And for the record - I don't think that Bradie was that much overscored as Kaori was underscored for me. After all, it is all about judging, skaters are the last ones to blame for my frustrations. Bradie also came through with that strong SP this season and very good for her to be able to project more and facilitate this more 'athletic', strong approach towards performance into such program. At this point though, seeing both performances back-to-back, I see just more advance in complexity, synthesis of skills in Kaori's one, more spark and polish over it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I preferred Bell over Bradie. Poor Canada - oh Alaine. How can anyone support her when she really has no consitency.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I preferred Bell over Bradie. Poor Canada - oh Alaine. How can anyone support her when she really has no consitency.

Curious about bolded one - do you mean Fed support or our (fans) support? Well, as for Fed, she is National Champ and there are no many options to manoeuvre for Ladies now; besides - no one can jump/execute her programs for her, her issues/struggles with consistency should have nothing with Fed or fans' support IMHO. Consistency and result should not be like main determinants if we support someone in the core sense of that word (at least in my naïve opinion): I support, cheer for many skaters who can be described as headcases, either inconsistent or perpetually underscored/lowballed by judges. Support of fans (at least) should be one consistent thing such skaters experience, I'd like to think that helps them.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thank you NNF for your lovely description of Kaori's skating. I love her grace and flow into and out of every element. I consider myself fortunate to have seen her in person at all three of the west coast events this season. Her style suits my personal tastes perfectly.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Thank you NNF for your lovely description of Kaori's skating. I love her grace and flow into and out of every element. I consider myself fortunate to have seen her in person at all three of the west coast events this season. Her style suits my personal tastes perfectly.

Lucky you, because I was able to see Satoko, Mai, Rika (twice) already and I crave to see Kaori! And thanks for your kind words:thank:

Basho

Rinkside
Mariah was an absolute joy. Consistency was the last piece and now she's got it. I'm so happy for her.

rain

Record Breaker
Mariah was an absolute joy. Consistency was the last piece and now she's got it. I'm so happy for her.

For my money, Mariah is the one I most look forward to seeing skate this season. She's always had star quality, but this season she has two great programs that really suit her. That SP was spectacular. She just exudes emotion on the ice.

Can't say I'm surprised by Chartrand's performance, but I am disappointed. Yikes.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just finished watching the ladies.

Super happy for both Bradie and Mariah. I thought Kaori would be in first. Sorry that Rika missed her 3A, and I hope she's not in a lot of pain from the injury. Felt horrible for Alaine! I hope she gets redemption in the long.