2019 World Figure Skating Championship Spots | Golden Skate

2019 World Figure Skating Championship Spots

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is a new quadrennial and there will be a lot of changes, movement and retirement in the skating world so how many spots do you expect each nation to have in pairs, men, ladies and dance. Who are the top six countries for the team event?

Caustica

Final Flight
Spots will be interesting this year, with so many high-profile withdrawals - not so much reliability in standings...

Pairs - without S/H, China may lose 3 spots. P/J didn't even qualify for the free skate in the Olympics... Without S/K, Russia may lose 3 spots. Their pairs are weak other than T/M. Without D/R, Canada may lose 3 spots. So sad that we won't get to see I/M again before they (probably) retire. Honestly, I have no idea about spots. In such an environment, I can actually imagine Italy getting 3 spots, lol.

Men - Japan's in danger of losing 3 spots, given the inconsistency of Keiji and Kazuki. The US I actually feel is quite likely to keep 3 spots, especially as so many top contenders are not attending and their BV is high, basically (Nathan and Vincent). Russia may also gain 3 spots, but who knows what to expect out of Mikhail and Dmitri.

Ladies - Russia's 3 spots became slightly less certain given Evgenia's withdrawal, but they will still probably get 3 spots, given how weak the ladies' field is. Please get 3 spots, Japan!!! Last year was so sad. Not really expecting Gabby to have another meltdown, so wouldn't be surprised if Canada keeps 3 spots. US ladies... honestly don't know what to expect. If they get 3 spots, I think it will be borderline (e.g. their placements add up to 12 or 13).

Dance - I don't really watch dance but usually find the standings fairly predictable, lol. I expect the spots to stay basically the same as last year - 3 for Canada and the US, 2 for France, Italy, Russia.

Not sure what to say about the team event as it only happens in the Olympics...? And I'm not about to predict which countries will be strongest overall four years from now :eek:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
They should allow countries to qualify for their spots worlds OR Olympics (take the best of the two). Or do something like rank skaters by best international scores in a season and qualify that way. There are always numerous withdrawals during an Olympic year.

epicdreamer

Rinkside
Hoping the Japanese do well enough so they can have max number of spots at Worlds next year, especially since its in Japan.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
As someone pointed out, there's a way for Japan, Russia, the US, and Canada to all get three spots, while Italy gets two:
1. Alina
2. Satoko
3. Kaetlyn
4. Maria
5. US lady
6. Gabby
7. US lady
8. Wakaba
9. Carolina

*Russo? I think she's the one going... would need to get 19th or higher for two spots. She could probably do it as the following other ladies will also be there:
10. Stanislava
11. US lady #3
12. Choi
13. Tursynbaeva
14. Hendrickx
15. Hanul Kim
16. Craine
17. Rajicova
18. Schott/Peltonen/Paganini/Toth

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
As long as Kostner finishes in the top 10, Italy will retain two spots in ladies.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
As long as Kostner finishes in the top 10, Italy will retain two spots in ladies.

Yes, because skaters who qualify for the free skate at Worlds and place 16th or lower automatically get 16 points towards the spots count, so Giada's placement isn't as important as Carolina's.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I really hope Korean ladies will get two spots (three is fine too ;) ). Eusoo Lim for podium next year. And I'd like to see Dabin Choi in World's again too.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
With Keiji no bombing too hard it's possible for Japan to keep the 3 spots.

How much points Korean ladies need keep the 2 spots?

Alifyre

On the Ice
With Keiji no bombing too hard it's possible for Japan to keep the 3 spots.

How much points Korean ladies need keep the 2 spots?

One of them needs to make top 10, which should be very doable.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kostner is NOT going to finish 9th skating on home ice. She was 5th in Korea, and Evgenia has withdrawn.
And Giada Russo isn't the second Italian lady---Elisabetta LECCARDI is. She competed in the JGP this season, but also did a Challenge event and some senior Bs.
Some recent senior results for her:

Jegvirag Cup 1st: 154.86 57.19 97.67
Sofia Cup 2nd: 150.17 56.36 93.81
Bavarian Open 4th: 155.95 57.08 98.87
Golden Spin 10th: 139.99 52.40 87.59

SamuraiKike

Medalist
My 2 cents on the big feds:

Canada
Pairs - down to 2 for sure. Its ok because there's not much depth anymore and a transition time will push the lower teams harder.
Men - Men is always so unpredictable, specially for the 2nd-3rd tier skaters. I can see either Messing/Nam having the skate of their life finishing top 10 and securing the 2 spots or both around 15-18 going down to 1.
Ladies - Osmond is a sure bet for podium. Daleman just needs to remain top 10 and the three spots would be safe. No more meltdowns!
Dance - 3 spots are safe.

Russia
Pairs - T&M are podium contenders. Then one of Z&E or A&R can finish top 10 which is quite doable.
Men - Big chance for the russian guys to finally get back 3 spots (hasn't happened since 2005!!!!) . Praying for Kolyada's 4Lutz to finally show up like in COC.
Ladies - Zagitova is a lock for the title. Then Masha and Stasia just need to stay top 12. Let's remember Pogo even during her worst meldtowns only dropped to 13th so the spots are safe.
Dance - They will stay at 2. Even if S&B get pushed as RUS#1, Z&G will still remain way behind.

USA
Pairs - The Pairs SP is a battlefied . Almost half of the field won't make it to the LP. Neither S&K or K&O are sure things but if they deliver they can make it.
Men - Chen & Zhou are a really strong team. 3 spots are safe.
Ladies - Who Knows. All 3 girls have the potential but they need to be clean and even still I can see at best a 6-7 borderline scenario. If my money is on it I'll say they lose the 3rd spot.
Dance - 3 for sure.

Japan
Men - Tanaka can place top 10 or in 24th place. So it's basically up to him.
Ladies - I think even a flawed Miyahara has enough reputation to place top 5-6. So again its up to the 2nd skater. Praying for Higuchi to keep it cool.

China
Men - If Boyang manages to place 1st-2nd there will be 3 spots as the only man in the competition.
Pairs - Peng&Jin havent had a good season. Im afraid the odds of losing the 3rd spot are high.

Ziotic

Medalist
Some thoughts!
Ladies:
3 spots; Russia, Canada, and Japan
2 spots; USA, Italy and South Korea

Men:
3 spots: Russia, USA, probably Japan and China( if they get 3 spots for coming 2nd)
2 spots: Isreal, Canada, China (if they get two spots for coming 2nd, I’m not 100% sure)
Pairs
3 spots: Italy
2 spots: Russia, China, Canada, Germany, France

Dance:
3 spots: USA and Canada
2 spots: France, Russia, Italy maybe Spain or Japan