2024 World Championships Gala Exhibition | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Gala Exhibition

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I LOVED Shoma's program. Haven't seen Adam's yet, but I agree with Mark - that's a great base for a short.
I haven't heard Mark's commentary yet, as I'm still in Montreal. But I believe he was choosing between this (Come Together), Everything Everywhere All At Once, and his Padam Padam exhibition from last season when it came time to choose short program material.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Malinin chose a great song that clearly spoke to him! I loved the lines about giving people what they want and being made what for 30 years. I am not a big fan of rap but this song actually had extremely emotional lyrics that had strong and personal ring. I looked the edgy side of his! So much angry young man! Great job!
Yes, I loved this exhibition, because it felt so personal and real to him. I don't like or follow rap or hip hop much either, but I felt like I was seeing a true, passionate expression of energy from him, maybe for the first time. I always felt that he was obviously impassioned about his technique and jumping, and after this Worlds it seems there's a lot more developing in his artistry too. The progress from age 18 to age 19 was pretty incredible, I thought. He seems to be reaching for something that is both highly innovative technically and increasingly expressive and emotional too. I read somewhere that he is taking dance classes at George Mason University, and it's probably been great for him to be with other young artists and mentors outside of skating. He seems to be maturing and broadening his perspective really fast. I hope he doesn't burn himself out physically reaching for ever more, jump-wise - he's already so far ahead there. I mean, we could see him land a quint or quad-quad combinations and be awed, but I feel like there's so much more creativity and drama to come for him too. For the first time, I'm anticipating what he's going to do next, and I don't mean new jumps!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, I loved this exhibition, because it felt so personal and real to him. I don't like or follow rap or hip hop much either, but I felt like I was seeing a true, passionate expression of energy from him, maybe for the first time. I always felt that he was obviously impassioned about his technique and jumping, and after this Worlds it seems there's a lot more developing in his artistry too. The progress from age 18 to age 19 was pretty incredible, I thought. He seems to be reaching for something that is both highly innovative technically and increasingly expressive and emotional too. I read somewhere that he is taking dance classes at George Mason University, and it's probably been great for him to be with other young artists and mentors outside of skating. He seems to be maturing and broadening his perspective really fast. I hope he doesn't burn himself out physically reaching for ever more, jump-wise - he's already so far ahead there. I mean, we could see him land a quint or quad-quad combinations and be awed, but I feel like there's so much more creativity and drama to come for him too. For the first time, I'm anticipating what he's going to do next, and I don't mean new jumps!
He is really finding himself, his own style, and that's so timely too. I am really curious what he and his team will choose next season. I understand that he has a say in musical choices, and it sounds like he is an athlete who can handle the music that truly gets to him, grabs his heart, without being overwhelmed and actually channeling his emotions through it. That's really, really good and so needed! Particularly if he brings a newer selection of music, not automatically reach for Queen to show his is a rebel!

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
He is really finding himself, his own style, and that's so timely too. I am really curious what he and his team will choose next season. I understand that he has a say in musical choices, and it sounds like he is an athlete who can handle the music that truly gets to him, grabs his heart, without being overwhelmed and actually channeling his emotions through it. That's really, really good and so needed! Particularly if he brings a newer selection of music, not automatically reach for Queen to show his is a rebel!
I think I read on another thread here that Guillaume Cizeron is planning to choreograph one of Ilia's programs next year. That could be interesting!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I haven't heard Mark's commentary yet, as I'm still in Montreal. But I believe he was choosing between this (Come Together), Everything Everywhere All At Once, and his Padam Padam exhibition from last season when it came time to choose short program material.
Fun filled fact. In early 1969, John Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono, held nonviolent protests against the Vietnam War, dubbed the Bed-ins for Peace. In May, during the Montreal portion of the bed-in, counterculture figures from across North America visited Lennon, including American psychologist Timothy Leary, an early advocate of LSD, whom Lennon admired.[4] Leary intended to run for Governor of California in the following year's election and asked Lennon to write him a campaign song based on the campaign's slogan, "Come Together – Join the Party!"[5] The resulting chant was only a line long: "Come together and join the party".[4] Lennon promised to finish and record the song,[4] and Leary later recalled Lennon giving him a tape of the piece, but the two did not interact again.[6]

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh, that would be cool!
Here is my bet... Cizeron creates an intricate choreo for ilia. Ilia goes home and starts training the jumps within the program... Then realizes he needs to remove transitions because he needs to set up for the jumps...this is not against ilia... It is common in men skating especially... At the end of the season, there would be very little cizeron in that program

Happy to be proven wrong

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Where did this Cizeron rumor actually come from? My understanding is that it's from David Lease at TSL, and I'm not sure how much to believe that. I'm not sure Cizeron and Ilia are the best match up either.
agree on both counts. At the same time, if it's true, they are so far apart in skating style that it may be a good learning experience for them both. It also depends what kind of program they would settle on. Of course, if they go classical route, it may be interesting in the bad sense of the world. but Guillaume is a great dancer (on the ground) of other styles like hip hop. If they went that route, a bit like Ilia's gala number, Guillaume could help very much Ilia in including some swagger and dance moves. So yeah, I'd be curious.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really enjoyed the gala on Sunday and appreciated that it was included in the ticket package (unlike Boston next year).

And since SOI is not doing a US tour, I kind of took this as my opportunity to see a SOI like show with an international cast. As much as I enjoyed seeing the retired Canadian men such as Elvis, Patrick, Keegan and Elladj, I felt they took some slots away from other skaters that I would have liked to see like Deniss or even Donovan.

I took a few videos and posted to my Youtube Channel (I sat in different seats from the first segment to the second thanks to a friend of mine who had an empty seat next to her, so the vantage point will look different.)

I have Jason, Shoma, Ilia, Adam, Keegan, Patrick, Kaori and F/G Lady Gaga program. I wish I had recorded Kimmy Repond's Star Wars program as I though that was really cool with the light saber. I also recorded Isabeau's and Chaeyon but have not put them up, b/c I found them a bit dull. Isabeau only did double jumps, had an odd fall and skated to Lana Del Rey who kind of annoys me, lol.

Interestingly, my video of Shoma has now surpassed in views the one I posted of Jason. Oddly, the program voted "most entertaining" at the gala by Adam has very few views. You never know what is going to resonate with Youtube's algorithm and audience.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isabeau only did double jumps, had an odd fall and skated to Lana Del Rey who kind of annoys me, lol.

I loved that Isabeau chose to do beautiful double jumps! I thought it was an inspired choice, because we've all seen her ( and everyone else's) triples; and Isabeau's exhibition highlighted her lyricism, extension, and charisma, no matter the jumps. If I'm not mistaken, she also did a single axel ... which I love so much. Of course the odd fall couldn't be helped and I'm sure she was annoyed that it happened.

Last edited:

Janice4th

On the Ice
Fun filled fact. In early 1969, John Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono, held nonviolent protests against the Vietnam War, dubbed the Bed-ins for Peace. In May, during the Montreal portion of the bed-in, counterculture figures from across North America visited Lennon, including American psychologist Timothy Leary, an early advocate of LSD, whom Lennon admired.[4] Leary intended to run for Governor of California in the following year's election and asked Lennon to write him a campaign song based on the campaign's slogan, "Come Together – Join the Party!"[5] The resulting chant was only a line long: "Come together and join the party".[4] Lennon promised to finish and record the song,[4] and Leary later recalled Lennon giving him a tape of the piece, but the two did not interact again.[6]
The things I learn on skating sites.