2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Will those attending the GP event(s) get a bye to Nationals like in previous seasons? Do we know yet?
Just my guess but I think GP entry will provide nationals entry no matter the Russian Cup results - which would also explain Aliona having three competitions so close together.

Last edited:

Artemisa

Final Flight
GP Rostelecom equals to russian's nationals... so for that i'm happy.
This season GP who got the worst part is the russian ladies ... they are the best but because of "specials rules" we only will get one lady in the final .. but probably won't be final ( because will be ironic if you only put skaters of the country in the gp but in the final everything will be fine if they go ) ..

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Just my guess but I think GP entry will provide nationals entry no matter the Russian Cup results - wehich would also explain Aliona having three competitions so close together.
I'm not so sure. It seems to me illogical that RusFed first says that qualifying to RusNats will only go through Russian Cup and that everyone have to participate in two Stages. And then also qualifying through GP Rostelecom?!?

It doesn't matter though. We all strongly suspect that those at the GP will qualify anyway...

But it will be a very hectic period with a LOT of competitions for Kostornaia...

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Just my guess but I think GP entry will provide nationals entry no matter the Russian Cup results - wehich would also explain Aliona having three competitions so close together.
Wait, you think Alyona will withdraw from her events?

lopsilceci

Her DOG has a Wikipedia page!
On the Ice
I wonder how many of those URs would have been called if she was a Sambo70 skater.

To put it in perspective, Frolova got an edge call on the lutz in the short there (despite she has a good outside edge, learnt that from Panova), while Shcherbakova who is almost never on the outside did not! :shrug::shrug:

Oh and how about we talk about the underrotations for Eteri skaters cause they had those too and nothing was called.

Technical panel double standards and guess who was in that panel?

Eteri skaters were overscored, everyone agrees with that (even Anna). Some of that had to do with the Russian Cup bonus on highest scoring elements, but let's not pretend like any of the other ladies here are at the same level as Anna.

But that wasn't the point... It's about comparing Khromykh and Talalaykina. Maya's technical content was stronger in both programs and that boosted her a lot. Her PCS are also higher, but I did some tests...

These are the actual scores they got:
KHROMYKH
SP: (TES-36.52 + PCS-32.76) = 69.28
FS: (TES-61.02 + PCS-64.32)-2 = 123.34
Total: 192.62
TALALAYKINA

SP: (TES-31.63 + PCS-30.84) = 62.47
FS: (TES-56.88 + PCS-61.52) = 118.40
Total: 180.87

Now, for fun, I switched their PCS to see if the placements changed:
KHROMYKH
SP: (TES-36.52 + PCS-30.84) = 67.36
FS: (TES-61.02 + PCS-61.52) = 122.54 - 2 = 120.54
Total = 187.90
TALALAYKINA

SP: (TES-31.63 + PCS-32.76) = 64.39
FS: (TES-56.88 + PCS-64.32) = 121.2
Total = 185.59

Conclusion: Even with the PCS advantage and with Maya's 2 falls deductions, it wouldn't have been enough for Talalaykina to beat Khromykh for the bronze medal.

Last edited:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Eteri skaters were overscored, everyone agrees with that (even Anna). Some of that had to do with the Russian Cup bonus on highest scoring elements, but let's not pretend like any of the other ladies here are at the same level as Anna.

But that wasn't the point... It's about comparing Kromykh and Talalaykina. Maya's technical content was stronger in both programs and that boosted her a lot. Her PCS are also higher, but I did some tests...

These are the actual scores they got:
KROMYKH
SP: (TES-36.52 + PCS-32.76) = 69.28
FS: (TES-61.02 + PCS-64.32)-2 = 123.34
Total: 192.62
TALALAYKINA

SP: (TES-31.63 + PCS-30.84) = 62.47
FS: (TES-56.88 + PCS-61.52) = 118.40
Total: 180.87

Now, for fun, I switched their PCS to see if the placements changed:
KROMYKH
SP: (TES-36.52 + PCS-30.84) = 67.36
FS: (TES-61.02 + PCS-61.52) = 122.54 - 2 = 120.54
Total = 187.90
TALALAYKINA

SP: (TES-31.63 + PCS-32.76) = 64.39
FS: (TES-56.88 + PCS-64.32) = 121.2
Total = 185.59

Conclusion: Even with the PCS advantage and with Maya's 2 falls deductions, it wouldn't have been enough for Talalaykina to beat Kromykh for the bronze medal.
Yes, as much as I LOVE Talalaykina, there is no way she could have been third with those URs, and with only a 6 triple program.
We mustn't forget that the judges also were kind of harsh with Khromykh. Her 4S attempt was downgraded to a 3S, which also meant that she had a 3F invalid at the end of the program because of the Zayak rule. She lost a HUGE amount of points because of that.

Edit: Come to think of it. That is bad strategy from the Eteri camp. Maybe they had a plan B but Maiia forgot about it? Fact remains, if she doesn't make the 4S she needs to change the rest of the program to avoid the Zayak rule. Maiia didn't do that. As it turned out she did two 3Lzs, 3S and 3Fs. I hope they learned the lesson.

Last edited:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I'm not so sure. It seems to me illogical that RusFed first says that qualifying to RusNats will only go through Russian Cup and that everyone have to participate in two Stages. And then also qualifying through GP Rostelecom?!?

It doesn't matter though. We all strongly suspect that those at the GP will qualify anyway...

But it will be a very hectic period with a LOT of competitions for Kostornaia...
It wouldn't be the first illogical (or at least inconsistent) thing that the Rusfed did, right? :)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
It wouldn't be the first illogical (or at least inconsistent) thing that the Rusfed did, right? :)
True. Maybe RusFed will give Kostornaia permission to withdraw from Stage 5 and give her a bye to RusNats after GP Rostelecom.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Speaking of Stage One. Does anyone know why Viktoria Iuschenkova was DSQ? She came 9th and last so it doesn't matter anyway. But what happened?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Speaking of Stage One. Does anyone know why Viktoria Iuschenkova was DSQ? She came 9th and last so it doesn't matter anyway. But what happened?
She competed for Israel last season, hence, shouldn’t have taken part in Russian cup stages.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
She competed for Israel last season, hence, shouldn’t have taken part in Russian cup stages.
Aha! That explains it. But the RusFed should have known that, shouldn't they?
Ah well, it didn't make any difference in the greater scheme of things. She lost her 2 points and I suppose we won't see her again at a later Stage.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
The competitors at Rostelecom Cup GP and their seasons best last year

Kostornaia 247.59
Trusova 241.02
Shcherbakova 240.92
Medvedeva 225.76
Tuktamysheva 221.15
Gulyakova 200.11 (at Tallink Hotels Cup, not in the SB list)
Safonova 192.49
Ryabova 187.77
Samodurova 187.16
Urushadze 179.50

Looks like Samodurova is the one who has to work hard to make it a clean Russian Top Seven sweep.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I wonder how many of those URs would have been called if she was a Sambo70 skater.

To put it in perspective, Frolova got an edge call on the lutz in the short there (despite she has a good outside edge, learnt that from Panova), while Shcherbakova who is almost never on the outside did not! :shrug::shrug:

Oh and how about we talk about the underrotations for Eteri skaters cause they had those too and nothing was called.

Technical panel double standards and guess who was in that panel?

I watched the whole competition in a real time, and in the context of that one competition Frolova certainly had the worst lutz edge there and Talalaikina had the most obvious URs. It's not matter who trained who or who can produce the best jump in the practice, but what happened in that exact competition. Comparing to the other skaters in that exact competition (which is the point of judging in the context), jumps of Eteri's skaters, on the topic you are talking about, were (more/less) fine there.

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Alina Zagitova was not invited to the anniversary of the Sambo-70 school

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skatin...-byt-na-prazdnike-v-sambo-70-no-pozvat-v.html
Renat Laishev: “Zagitova should be at the festival at Sambo-70, but we cannot call everyone. She did not show such interest in the activities of the school "

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skatin...-v-yubilee-sambo-70-evgeniya-obedinyaet-.html
Laishev on Medvedeva's participation in the Sambo-70 anniversary: “Evgenia unites all the love of the school. There is also Alina Zagitova, but she is busy "

This man talks too much..

Why Renat why? Alina has won everything for Sambo-70. All he had to do was say Alina is busy with other things but we wish she was here.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Seems like LO fed declared they did not send Yushchenkova to Russian Cup.:ninja:

Aha! That explains it. But the RusFed should have known that, shouldn't they?
Ah well, it didn't make any difference in the greater scheme of things. She lost her 2 points and I suppose we won't see her again at a later Stage.
And as always RusFed stated they have no clue how it happened.