2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating

1111bm

Final Flight
FYI Kolyada, Mozalev, Lezheev (!!) and Kutovoi (!!) were the only Sr/Jr men here to get level 4 steps in the long

Speaking of step sequences, I've watched Mikhail's programs today and noticed that he does the exact same step sequence in both SP and FS. Is that a Mishin thing, to economise practice time?

I get that it's less time-consuming and probably helps with jump (and overall) consistency, when a skater has to practice only one step sequence. And certainly all skaters repeat certain moves, sections and clusters of difficult steps/turns in their step sequences, even from season to season, but Misha's doing an exact copy. And usually I associate this with skaters who don't seem to care much about footwork or its relation to the music, at least that's the impression I get. It's certainly not what I expect from those at the top. I might be wrong though, and it's more widespread than I thought? Off the top of my head, I can only recall Voronov and Amber Glenn doing that last season or so.
I wonder if judges pick up on this and if it affects their scoring?
And Misha's got beautiful skating skills too, so it feels like kind of a waste, really.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Speaking of step sequences, I've watched Mikhail's programs today and noticed that he does the exact same step sequence in both SP and FS. Is that a Mishin thing, to economise practice time?
Oh my... good spotting! Well I don't think it's a very widespread thing with other skaters (or with Kolyada when he was with Chebotareva), so I'd suspect a Mishinism. IIRC Averbukh choreographed the free and Tatiana Prokofieva (Mishin's in-house choreographer) did the short. Maybe the LP step sequence was copied onto the short because it met technical bullet points for Level 4 better?

Just noticed Mozalev got a Level 3 step sequence in the SP and L4 in the LP, interesting :LOL: Different choreo for both, BTW.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Okay, here is a confusing start of a figure skating article. I can’t find the source, but I am intrigued. I’ve stretched my knowledge of Russian to the max, and I am still stomped.

My best translation of the says: Figure skater Mozalev threatens the single (skaters): “In the heat of the moment, the body is scratched.”

the first sentence reads: “Third stage of the Cup of Russia showed that the relationships between men...”

I assume, it is an attempt to frame Mozalev’s post-skate interview in the light of “he threw down a challenge” and, I suppose, that he doesn’t feel pain when he gets adrenaline rush when skating.

but for the sake of all that is holy, the ‘on the spot’ interviews need to be edited, and the articles need to be edited too.

edit: okay here is the full article. Apparently the weird title quote is Mozalev describing the character he is skating as. “The character (de Sade, I presume) is, in the heat of the moment, in the fit of madness, rips his clothes off, scratches his body.”

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yeah, I am also overjoyed that he takes his artistic interpretation this seriously, but we don’t want any workplace injuries.

heh, the way internet does it, it now offers me the next showpiece of Russian journalism, headlining another Mozalev’s quote (I kid you not)

Figure Skater Mozalev: I’m not just beautiful...

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Oh my... good spotting! Well I don't think it's a very widespread thing with other skaters (or with Kolyada when he was with Chebotareva), so I'd suspect a Mishinism. IIRC Averbukh choreographed the free and Tatiana Prokofieva (Mishin's in-house choreographer) did the short. Maybe the LP step sequence was copied onto the short because it met technical bullet points for Level 4 better?

Just noticed Mozalev got a Level 3 step sequence in the SP and L4 in the LP, interesting :LOL: Different choreo for both, BTW.
Mishin and his optimisations. Others optimise jump technique, Mishin's optimises everything but jumps. He also changed Kolyada's spins because he didn't like them, apart from the flying sit spin (in the documentary he called them "revolutions in difficult positions", not real spins).

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was over on the FSU board in their Russia thread and saw some bad news about Andrei Lazukin - apparently his knee is in really bad shape and he won't be competing this season :(

He's not planning in retirement though so fingers crossed that we'll see him next season.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
...but also hardworking, cool-headed, eccentrically wonderful... :p

Beginning to suspect some some Russian sports journalists are either secret Mozalovers or just mild trolls :rofl:
Heh, I think they are trying very hard to make him into a rising star from ‘Ah, Mozalev also skated’, when he (at least last year) was visibly shy, though clever young man. They will have far less work if Kovalev or Kutovoy hit the prime time. Those two are extroverts.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It seems Mozalev should be the main favourite at the 4th stage of the Cup:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
If Ignatov is not injured, he is a strong competitor. Savosin also had a couple of strong performances. But, good luck to Mozalev, not to jinx it, and I would love to see him land his 4F in both short and free.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Stage 4 looks like a fun list! Semenenko and Kondratiuk are also potential dark horses due to planned content, but both splatted a bit at their earlier Russian Cup appearances. Big bro Sviridenko too with his recent coach change, Benoit Richaud choreo and and possibly a 4Lz or 4Lo up his sleeve... Russian men are a whole field of dark horses, not a palomino in sight...

I like Ilya Yablokov but I think he's more likely to get another ice cream than a medal :p

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Stage 4 looks like a fun list! Semenenko and Kondratiuk are also potential dark horses due to planned content, but both splatted a bit at their earlier Russian Cup appearances. Big bro Sviridenko too with his recent coach change, Benoit Richaud choreo and and possibly a 4Lz or 4Lo up his sleeve... Russian men are a whole field of dark horses, not a palomino in sight...

I like Ilya Yablokov but I think he's more likely to get another ice cream than a medal :p
Aww, they all earn that ice-cream.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker