2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

readernick

Medalist
Really, I would not be surprised. I remember last year K/I were supposed to be the first place junior team, but alas she grew, and nothing worked out. Same for A/K, but I think that everyone knows that if Valeri so desires, there are many girls who will want to skate with him, most of whom probably have better jumps and coordination. I'm not sure the same can be said for boys wanting to skate with Akhanteva. I was thinking too, that Kostiukovich may team up with either Rylov or Kolesov. I was really hoping for Kostiukovich/Rylov actually, he would throw her painfully high, higher than Panfilova. First off, she is smaller, and also, she is a better jumper than Panfilova. But I also really like Ko/Br, so I guess that's that, and I can't see her outgrowing Briukhanov.
My only comment is Rylov would have to be incredibly stupid to leave Panfilova for anyone. That girl is special! She is the driving force behind that team. Her posture, landings, positions in lifts are really unparelled in a junior girl of her age. All respect to Rylov (who is a great skater), but he is nothing without that amazing young lady.

Last edited:

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
My only comment is Rylov would have to be incredibly stupid to leave Panfilova for anyone. That girl is special! She is the driving force behind that team. Her posture, landings, positions in lifts are really unparelled in a junior girl of her age. Ask respect to Rylov (who is a great skater), but he is nothing without that amazing young lady.
It may be true that Panfilova adds something special to the team in terms of artistry and refinement, but refinement and elegant finishing positions can only take you so far. Perhaps her character drives the team, and Rylov admits so. Many other athletes of a high level also have a very similar, driving character. Her positions in lifts are special, but the thing in the end is that she cannot jump. They are most known for their throws and twist. The other day I did a side by side of their Throw 3Lo vs her Side-by-side 2Lo. The difference in height is insane. Who is making up for the lack of difference? At the end of the day, the throws and twists are the point getters. So if Panfilova does grow significantly taller, then I guess they will never be the same with new partners, Rylov without the driving force and Panfilova without the throws and stability in lifts. Still, I could see Rylov getting another girl and throwing her pretty darn high. But no doubt, Panfilova is special.

As for Ksenia and Valeri, they really don't seem to enjoy each other. She seems so afraid after each skate. Please, for stage 5, replace 3T with 2A. It gives me heart attacks every time she does it.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Stage 5 entries:

1. Karina Akopova/Nikita Rakhmanin
2. Ksenia Akhanteva/Valeri Kolesov (no chance but I still dream that they have a new free skate soon)
3. Anastaasia Balabanova/Alexei Sviatchenko
4. Aleksandra Boikova/Dmitri Kozlovski
5. Anastasia Mishina/Aleksandr Galliamov
6. Diana Mukhametzianova/Ilya Mironov

No Vikita :(

hanca

Record Breaker
I wonder whose idea it was to get back together, if that is true. They have been together for so long that I find it unlikely they would break up for any odd reason. Someone on twitter remarked that Kolesov's reaction after the free at Rostelecom indicated that he wasn't surprised by the mistake-ridden performance. I have to agree. I also think that even though Akhanteva is very good, she is not anywhere up to Kolesov's level. With how experienced he is, he could probably take a singles girl and teach her everything pretty quickly, and then have a hand-picked girl with solid jumps, good pair elements, elegance, performance, etc. Actually, if we're going to entertain the possibility of Trusova in pairs sometime in the future, then I think Kolesov can take her and do some pretty cool things, especially thorws and twists.
That’s the theory. In reality the situation is a bit different. Changing a partner is always a risk, so Kolesov would have to carefully balance his current situation with Akhanteva against the risk of changing the partner. In your ideal world, there are queues of girls waiting to pair up with him. In reality it is not so. Why do you think Volodin risked partnership with Atakhanova, even though he knew that she had been injured recently? If there was such a queue of girls wanting to skate with him, wouldn’t he choose someone healthier? Look at Volodin trying with a girl from singles...if the gossip is true, it didn’t last even a whole season. And before her, Volodin skating with an acrobat girl - again, he spent lots of time teaching her pairs and then something didn’t work out. Do you think he would waste so much time teaching Vasilieva and Sobinina pairs if he knew in advance that the partnership will last only a year or even less? Also, why do you think that Ialin decided to try with Vislobokova, even though he knows she has been struggling with her jumps for over a year and her figure is not as compatible to his as anyone else might be

Getting a new partner has many risks and the skater never knows what would happen. A new partner can outgrow him, or can be consistent with jumps, but after he wasted six months teaching her pairs discipline she may start her puberty and struggling with jumps, or she may realise hat she hates doing pairs. Maisuradze found a girl from singles, Antipova, and after a season and a half she got anorexia. The pressure put on her to learn everything so fast plus being forced to keep her weight down was just too much for her. She managed to learn a new discipline and in their only whole season, they placed eight at worlds, despite her competing in a relatively nw discipline for her, never competing internationally before she started this partnership, and never competing in seniors (she was a junior before Maisuradze picked her!) Eight place, I would say that’s pretty decent. But she paid for it with her health. In the USA, there was also a pair where the male skater, Rockne Brubaker, picked a girl (Mary Beth Marley) from singles. Similarly to Antipova, prior to starting pairs she was also just junior, and not competing internationally yet. In their second season together they placed tenth at worlds. After that season she also retired with anorexia.

Having a girl from singles may guarantee that she has the jumps at the time when they pair up, but it doesn’t guarantee that she will have them six months or one year later. Getting an experienced pair girl has some advantages, such as not wasting so much time teaching the girl new elements, the girl also knows what to expect and knows that pairs is the discipline she wants to do. Krasnopolski picked Conners from singles and taught her pairs discipline; after a year she retired. She said she was exhausted.

hanca

Record Breaker
It may be true that Panfilova adds something special to the team in terms of artistry and refinement, but refinement and elegant finishing positions can only take you so far. Perhaps her character drives the team, and Rylov admits so. Many other athletes of a high level also have a very similar, driving character. Her positions in lifts are special, but the thing in the end is that she cannot jump. They are most known for their throws and twist. The other day I did a side by side of their Throw 3Lo vs her Side-by-side 2Lo. The difference in height is insane. Who is making up for the lack of difference? At the end of the day, the throws and twists are the point getters. So if Panfilova does grow significantly taller, then I guess they will never be the same with new partners, Rylov without the driving force and Panfilova without the throws and stability in lifts. Still, I could see Rylov getting another girl and throwing her pretty darn high. But no doubt, Panfilova is special.

As for Ksenia and Valeri, they really don't seem to enjoy each other. She seems so afraid after each skate. Please, for stage 5, replace 3T with 2A. It gives me heart attacks every time she does it.
I am not going to claim that jumps are not important, because they are, but why do you think at the last GP Panfilova/Rylov managed to beat pairs who did one triple in the SP and three triples in the FS? They beat Kadyrova/Balchenko, who did clean triple flip with positive GOE in the SP, and clean 3T and combination 3S-1eu-3S in the FS. All with positive GOE. And yet Panfilova/Rylov beat them both in the SP and in the FS. Similarly, whole last season they were beating pairs who did triples, including a pair who did 3F and 3Lz. I know it sucks that Panfilova struggles with jumps, but in the FS is 11 elements, and she struggles with only two. The rest of it is on a very high level. In the SP, doing double axel is not that huge difference from 3T pointwise, and they can make up the points in their other elements. Rylov would be fool to risk getting a new partner because many pairs never manage to get their elements to that level. Jumps are hard, but getting everything to a very high level is not easy either.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
My only comment is Rylov would have to be incredibly stupid to leave Panfilova for anyone. That girl is special! She is the driving force behind that team. Her posture, landings, positions in lifts are really unparelled in a junior girl of her age. Ask respect to Rylov (who is a great skater), but he is nothing without that amazing young lady.
Also I find it funny that people automatically assume that their weakness in SBS jumps is wholly due to Panfilova. To me it looks like Rylov is the worse jumper. You don't see it much because they usually stick to double jumps and so rarely mess those up, but when they tried 3S at Rostelecom Rylov doubled (it doesn't look intentional, his takeoff was wonky) and Panfilova tripled but fell. Also, in those rare instances when they failed even their double jumps (RusNats last year), both of them had problems. I don't think Rylov can rotate well in the air (he is bent at the hip) and he barely gets much lift either. Panfilova doesn't jump high but she rotates fast and is straighter in air.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Also I find it funny that people automatically assume that their weakness in SBS jumps is wholly due to Panfilova. To me it looks like Rylov is the worse jumper. You don't see it much because they usually stick to double jumps and so rarely mess those up, but when they tried 3S at Rostelecom Rylov doubled (it doesn't look intentional, his takeoff was wonky) and Panfilova tripled but fell. Also, in those rare instances when they failed even their double jumps (RusNats last year), both of them had problems. I don't think Rylov can rotate well in the air (he is bent at the hip) and he barely gets much lift either. Panfilova doesn't jump high but she rotates fast and is straighter in air.
I think this comes from some interviews, I may be mistaken but I think she mentioned herself that she was the one that was really working on the triple, implying that his was stable. I agree that he's not the best jumper, but I think at Rostelecom there was probably a miscommunication as to which jump they were doing. The 2S from him looked intentional. Although in this interview, it seems more even. that they both struggle with jumping https://www.goldenskate.com/2020/06/panfilova-and-rylov-we-need-to-move-on/

As for Kolesov, Volodin, Ialin, and their alleged lack of girls - I suggest you to take a look through Russian figure skating. Not just Russian nationals, Russian cup. Look through the regional championships, junior championships, acrobatics, acrobatic dancing....there are many many girls. And not enough boys. Many ambitious kids, ambitious parents, ambitious coaches. Some are fearless, some are not. Ilia Spiridonov's current partner Maria Pavlova was 17th at jr nationals in singles a few years ago.

Now imagine you are a girl of maybe 14-17 years old. You have been training your whole life in skating, and dream of making it to a high level. You've already gone through puberty and because of that, have a hard time keeping up with the jumping content required in singles. You don't know where things are going, there are not many opportunities to break through.

All of the sudden you get a message from Valeri Kolesov, world junior medalist, experienced pair guy, tall, elegant, experienced, junior eligible, decent jumper. He says that he will let you come to the Velikovs and teach you all the pair elements, and compete in pairs. Girls of such level are all accustomed to hard training, hard falls, and weight control. It's a wonderful opportunity.

I don't want to speak too much but Ialin is skating with Vislobokova despite her jump issues because she is one of the shorter girls that has experience and already trains in the coaching team. And if they got triple twist and throws in a month, then there must be some chemistry going on there as well. Ialin is slightly shorter and not junior eligible, there are not as many options as normally. Volodin probably had quite a few girls wanting to skate as well - I don't know why he chose Atakhanova with her injuries, Sobinina from acrobatics, Vasilieva from singles. He must have his reasons. Perhaps he did not see things getting out of hand so fast when he teamed up.

Let me ask you this then. When Mishina/Mirzoev broke up, Mirzoev was put on the junior national team without a partner. Meanwhile, Mishina/Galliamov, who had already made decent progress, were put on the novice team and not given JGP. This year when Kostiukovich/Ialin broke up, Ialin was put on the senior reserve team without a partner. Kostiukovich/Briukhanov had teamed up before quarantine and were doing triple twists within a week. Kostiukovich too was a 2x junior world medalist and had just been 8th at seniors, 5th at juniors. But Kostiukovich/Briukhanov were not even on the reserve national team. They were not allowed to go to the ice until July, 2 months after the national team members. No invitation to test skates.

What did Ialin and Mirzoev have that Mishina and Kostiukovich did not? In the end it was the girls who had/will probably have more success. I grew up in gymnastics. In such sports like gymnastics, dance, figure skating, trust me when I say, that good male partners will always be in demand.

Last edited:

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
think the future is bright enough that Russia won't worry about letting her go.

Does anyone know if the Velikov pairs will go to some St. Petersburg competitions?

Does anyone know if the Velikov pairs will go to some St. Petersburg competitions?
Yes, they are going to compete at the St. Petersburg Championship. Akhanteva / Kolesov and Vislobokova / Ialin at senior category, Kostiukovich / Briukhanov at junior one. By the way, junior competitions start today.

hanca

Record Breaker
As for Kolesov, Volodin, Ialin, and their alleged lack of girls - I suggest you to take a look through Russian figure skating. Not just Russian nationals, Russian cup. Look through the regional championships, junior championships, acrobatics, acrobatic dancing....there are many many girls. And not enough boys. Many ambitious kids, ambitious parents, ambitious coaches. Some are fearless, some are not. Ilia Spiridonov's current partner Maria Pavlova was 17th at jr nationals in singles a few years ago.

Now imagine you are a girl of maybe 14-17 years old. You have been training your whole life in skating, and dream of making it to a high level. You've already gone through puberty and because of that, have a hard time keeping up with the jumping content required in singles. You don't know where things are going, there are not many opportunities to break through.

All of the sudden you get a message from Valeri Kolesov, world junior medalist, experienced pair guy, tall, elegant, experienced, junior eligible, decent jumper. He says that he will let you come to the Velikovs and teach you all the pair elements, and compete in pairs. Girls of such level are all accustomed to hard training, hard falls, and weight control. It's a wonderful opportunity.

I don't want to speak too much but Ialin is skating with Vislobokova despite her jump issues because she is one of the shorter girls that has experience and already trains in the coaching team. And if they got triple twist and throws in a month, then there must be some chemistry going on there as well. Ialin is slightly shorter and not junior eligible, there are not as many options as normally. Volodin probably had quite a few girls wanting to skate as well - I don't know why he chose Atakhanova with her injuries, Sobinina from acrobatics, Vasilieva from singles. He must have his reasons. Perhaps he did not see things getting out of hand so fast when he teamed up.

Let me ask you this then. When Mishina/Mirzoev broke up, Mirzoev was put on the junior national team without a partner. Meanwhile, Mishina/Galliamov, who had already made decent progress, were put on the novice team and not given JGP. This year when Kostiukovich/Ialin broke up, Ialin was put on the senior reserve team without a partner. Kostiukovich/Briukhanov had teamed up before quarantine and were doing triple twists within a week. Kostiukovich too was a 2x junior world medalist and had just been 8th at seniors, 5th at juniors. But Kostiukovich/Briukhanov were not even on the reserve national team. They were not allowed to go to the ice until July, 2 months after the national team members. No invitation to test skates.

What did Ialin and Mirzoev have that Mishina and Kostiukovich did not? In the end it was the girls who had/will probably have more success. I grew up in gymnastics. In such sports like gymnastics, dance, figure skating, trust me when I say, that good male partners will always be in demand.
Again, you are talking about so many potential girls...it doesn’t work that way in a real life. Ilia Spiridonov took on a girl who is from singles. You seem to show it as an example how the girls are queueing to have a partner. Let’s wait where the partnership will go. Whether it will last more than 2 years and whether they at all manage to get on the main senior team. You know, not all ex-singles ladies turn out as well as Kadyrova. There are the ones like Antipova, Mary Beth Marley, but also Vasilieva.... one can spend six months wasting time teaching them everything they need to know about pairs, and then it doesn’t last longer than a year or two. Maisuradze retired because he struggled to find another partner, despite his previous successful career. No one was rushing to skate with him. Getting a girl from singles is like a getting a secret santa present - it may be a gem, or it may be useless. And the skater never knows what he is getting, because even though the girl has a consistent jumps, that doesn’t guarantee that a) she will like pairs and will want to do it long-term, b) she will not start struggling with puberty and lose the jumps after a year, c) the pressure won’t get too much for her like it was for Antipova, Marley and Conners.

Re: Mirzoev being put on the team after he split up with Mishina, and Volodin being put on junior reserve team (not novice, as you wrote!), and Ialin on senior reserve team, and Kostiukovich/Briukhanov not... we are talking about Russian federation. They have traditionally treated pair and ice dance differently than pair/ice dance ladies. Mirzoev and Ialin got in reserve for their past results. The same way as a few guys in ice dance did after they split up with their partners in the past few seasons. Mishina and Kostiukovich are females, so no one was helping them. That has been always like this. When Orlova/Bakhmat split up, he was also included on the reserve team and she was forgotten. Why Vasilieva/Volodin were treated differently than Kostiukovich/Briukhanov?Are you aware that skaters are getting placed on the team in May/June that precedes the season? My guess is that Vasilieva/Volodin were able to show at least something to someone from the federation before the lockdown. Vasilieva have started withdrawing from singles competitions already in December, so if they paired up, let’s say in February, before Russia went to the lockdown, they might have been able to show a few successful elements and consequently someone felt strongly enough to fight for them during the federation meeting where they were deciding on funding. Unlike them, Kostiukovich only announced the split in May and new partnership even later than that, so naturally no one fought for them. It is very important to have someone behind you when you start new partnership and there are yet no results to speak up for you!

You seem to think that because federation is treating pair males more favourably than females as a proof that everyone is lining up to skate with them. But where are your examples? Take notice, I can add past pairs to support what I am saying. You only keep saying about a potential long queue of girls waiting for Volodin...and Kolesov...and Ialin.... where are they? Do you actually have any examples from past to support your belief in this ideal world where there are all those single skaters just waiting to be paired? Even Balchenko, who is now doing well with Kadyrova, has spent a year teaching pairs another singles girl, and it didn’t go anywhere. Bobrov kept changing girls every year. He must have tried 7-8 partners, including some from singles, and yet it didn’t get him the results he was after. Let’s see if Spiridonov will have more luck with his girl from singles.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Well why else would the federation treat the boys more favorably than the girls? You must admit, that there are simply way more girls than there are boys out there. So even if not all will want to come to pairs by themselves, many will if the opportunity to skate with a high level guy comes. And if a guy wants to eliminate or minimize the risks you are talking about, then pick a 17+ girl, make sure she has good jumps, have a long tryout before getting into the partnership. Of course there are still risks, but pairs skating is full of risks. And yes, I am well aware that the national team lists are made in May/June. But Kostiukovich/Ialin split up in March, and she had a new partner pretty quickly too. I know she tried with Bushlanov, and a few others probably but once she got with Briukhanov, they did 3Tw in a week. So could their coach not send something to the federation to show? And I did not say that Volodin was put on the reserve senior team despite 11th at nationals being his best result this past season. I said that Mishina/Galliamov were put on the novice team despite having a lot more progress than nonexistent/Mirzoev, or in the case you mentioned, Bakhats being put on the team without a partner. This is the most unreasonable part to me. How can you put someone on the national team without a partner? Not all pairs are like Vislobokova/Ialin who could get triple throws, twist, level 4 lift, and death spiral in a month. Between national team lists and start of the season, there isno t so much time, if the skater still has not announced a partner. If Kostiukovich called the federation in May and said that she had no partner, she would have no shot even at the reserve team, junior or senior.

The point is, a federation is not too afraid to lose a good girl. But they are doing anything they can to keep the good guys in it. The simple truth is that there are far more girls than boys.

hanca

Record Breaker
Well why else would the federation treat the boys more favorably than the girls? You must admit, that there are simply way more girls than there are boys out there. So even if not all will want to come to pairs by themselves, many will if the opportunity to skate with a high level guy comes. And if a guy wants to eliminate or minimize the risks you are talking about, then pick a 17+ girl, make sure she has good jumps, have a long tryout before getting into the partnership. Of course there are still risks, but pairs skating is full of risks. And yes, I am well aware that the national team lists are made in May/June. But Kostiukovich/Ialin split up in March, and she had a new partner pretty quickly too. I know she tried with Bushlanov, and a few others probably but once she got with Briukhanov, they did 3Tw in a week. So could their coach not send something to the federation to show? And I did not say that Volodin was put on the reserve senior team despite 11th at nationals being his best result this past season. I said that Mishina/Galliamov were put on the novice team despite having a lot more progress than nonexistent/Mirzoev, or in the case you mentioned, Bakhats being put on the team without a partner. This is the most unreasonable part to me. How can you put someone on the national team without a partner? Not all pairs are like Vislobokova/Ialin who could get triple throws, twist, level 4 lift, and death spiral in a month. Between national team lists and start of the season, there isno t so much time, if the skater still has not announced a partner. If Kostiukovich called the federation in May and said that she had no partner, she would have no shot even at the reserve team, junior or senior.

The point is, a federation is not too afraid to lose a good girl. But they are doing anything they can to keep the good guys in it. The simple truth is that there are far more girls than boys.
Well, your advice about picking up a girl who is 17+ to minimise the risks doesn’t seem to fully work either. I can name several single ladies (with full set of triples) who switched to pairs, lasted a year or two and then disappeared, or have been moving from one partnership to another and not getting anywhere.

Valentine Chernyshova - switched to pairs, never got into the national team, did a few smaller competitions and the disappeared. And it wasn’t because of bad coaching - they did have Velikov!

Sofia Biriukova - switched to pairs successfully. With Filonov they placed seventh at the nationals. After the successful season, she decided that it wasn’t what she wanted and she retired.

Anastasia Yugai - a single skater, she was paired with Miroshkin, who had been twice bronze medallist at junior worlds and has all three colours of medals from junior grand prix final. But his partner (with whom he got all these medals) did not have triples, so their coach (Mozer) decided that he should dump her. If you think you have never heard of Yugai, it is because Yugai-Miroshkin did only one competition and scored very, very low. It didn’t go anywhere.

Alexandra Shevchenko - was picked up from singles to be a partner for Ivan Bich, who was a pretty decent junior pair male, (with a previous partner Gainedtinova they were in top three or four Russian junior pairs, competing twice at junior worlds). Shevchenko/Bich tried for several seasons. Their best achievement is to qualify to the senior nationals and placed 11th (second from the bottom). I believe they are now together off ice, so the time wasn’t completely wasted.

Augusta Yevseeva - a single skater, switched to pairs, tried several partners, Viktor Kudriavtsev, Roman Zaporozhets, maybe some others (not sure), but didn’t manage to qualify for the nationals with either of them.

My point is, finding a decent single skater who is willing to switch to pairs doesn’t guarantee a successful partnership. Even by minimising the risks and finding the girl of post puberty age, one cannot foresee whether she will like doing pairs, whether she may have problems with height, and whether she is technically able to make the partnership work. In single skating you learn jumps with your own timing. In pairs, one need to be able to stick to the timing that is compatible with the other person’s timing. That can mess up not only side by side jumps, but it can be a problem with many elements (twists, throws, lifts) it the girl has a problem with keeping the timing constant. If you are a single skater and change the timing, you can afford to slightly change timing on your elements every time you do them. If you are a pair skater, your timing needs to be always the same otherwise the other one doesn’t know what to expect.

It is not enough having a decent pair male, so if you match him with a girl with jump, it will work out. It may, but also may not. You need a good pair male, but you also need a female with some natural talent for pairs. Hard work is not enough without having the natural predisposition and talent, the same way as talent is not enoug without he hard work. Balchenko, who is now doing pretty well with Kadyrova, has gone through five other partners (Mitina, Solovieva, Dmitrienko, Khabibulina, Rusakova), and he has been doing pairs only six seasons. Russian Bobrov managed to get through 7-8 partners and never found the right one. There are skaters who never fulfil their potential because they never find the right partner. If Savchenko decided to retire at the same time like Szolkovy, Massot’s best achievement would be 15th at worlds!

Last edited:

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Championship of St. Petersburg:

Seniors:
1. Ksenia Akhanteva/Valeri Kolesov
2. Stanislava Vislobokova/Dmitri Ialin
3. Alesandra Knyazeva/Stanislav Sizemov
4. Ekaterina Kobycheva/Zakhar Kazeev
5. Anna Selivanova/Evgeni Lomonosov
6. Maia Shegai/Igor Shamishurov
Apart from the top 2, I may not have read the names correctly

Day 1 junior results;
1. Polina Kostiukovich/Alexei Briukhanov 68.81
2. Sofia Krom/Artem Panov 58.39
3. Ekaterina Kobycheva/Zakhar Kazeev (I'm confused if they were competing both or I got it wrong and there's only one category?)

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Senior St.Petersburg championship will be later, after the junior one.
Oh, I see your point. Two junior teams are on the entries list for the senior segment as well. But let's wait and see if they will really compete there.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Rockne Brubaker, picked a girl (Mary Beth Marley) from singles. Similarly to Antipova, prior to starting pairs she was also just junior, and not competing internationally yet. In their second season together they placed tenth at worlds. After that season she also retired with anorexia.
Mary Beth was diagnosed with an eating disorder, but it was probably bulimia, not anorexia. Of course, these illnesses are related. Bulimia can turn into anorexia if not treated. Marley/Brubaker were well-matched partners on the ice and as a team they were fast developing into excellent competitors. The age difference was probably difficult in terms of them understanding and communicating well with each other.

Mary Beth stopped skating in order to get treatment. She later admitted that she'd retired from skating because she thought she had to, and because she felt at the time that it was an either/or situation. Sadly, Mary Beth later realized that she enjoyed skating, and she missed it once she put it behind her to focus on her health. She seemed to regret not realizing that it might have been possible to get help in dealing with the root causes of her illness, while being able to separate her love of the sport from the actual cause of her problems. It was more her lack of maturity and body image issues.

hanca

Record Breaker
Mary Beth was diagnosed with an eating disorder, but it was probably bulimia, not anorexia. Of course, these illnesses are related. Bulimia can turn into anorexia if not treated. Marley/Brubaker were well-matched partners on the ice and as a team they were fast developing into excellent competitors. The age difference was probably difficult in terms of them understanding and communicating well with each other.

Mary Beth stopped skating in order to get treatment. She later admitted that she'd retired from skating because she thought she had to, and because she felt at the time that it was an either/or situation. Sadly, Mary Beth later realized that she enjoyed skating, and she missed it once she put it behind her to focus on her health. She seemed to regret not realizing that it might have been possible to get help in dealing with the root causes of her illness, while being able to separate her love of the sport from the actual cause of her problems. It was more her lack of maturity and body image issues.
It would have been a huge pressure for her to be expected to learn pairs discipline so fast, while also moving to seniors (as a single skater she was junior, but suddenly she started in pairs in seniors). I am pretty sure moving to seniors is a big step for every skater, but moving to seniors while you are in a new discipline, and at the same time suddenly in this new discipline and in seniors immediately start with international competitions... with a guy who was successful before so suddenly everyone expects that they will continue to be successful... I don’t think many people appreciate enough the pressure put on the young skater in her situation. I would definitely not say that her problems were purely lack of maturity and body image issues. That would be like saying that eating disorders happen because the person just wants to be slimmer. That’s a very simplistic and incorrect view. There is the element of control in eating disorders - the person feels like they are losing control in life and therefore they control the only thing they feel they can, and it is food. Mary Beth’s eating disorder didn’t come out of nowhere, the pressure on her must have been huge, so saying it was immaturity and body issues is like completely disregarding what she went through. Her story is so similar to Antipova.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
It seems that Rostelecom was a bit of a superspreading event. So far, Tarasova is the only pair skater affected. But I hope that all will take this more seriously and that MMT (Moskvina Mishin Taraosva) as well as all other coaches will wear a proper mask. if nobody else withdraws, then we will once again see Mishina/Galliamov, Panfilova/Rylov, and Boikova/Kozlovskii here. I wonder what is going on with Vasilieva/Volodin

hanca

Record Breaker
There was a party after the event and the skaters were sitting there without masks, eating and taking photos. Leonova also had her birthday party roughly a week ago and it was attended by quite a few skaters...