2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
The problem is their psychotype. Perfectionists. And from "the only child" position for their coach they are suddenly put into "compete for attention" position. I wrote in another thread prior to Worlds that I was really concerned about them, because it seems that they they can thrive only getting all the attention and assurance that they are the best. Moskvina has had lots of experience, also coaching two pairs. Successful most of the time. She must have thought it was useful for the development of both. However, it looks like Sasha and Dima have been hurt and feeling pain all the time. Hence all the uncertainty. It's like the first-born child suddenly getting a younger brother or sister. Jealousy is inevitable. The question is if and how soon it can be overcome. It's of course very easy to say "Athletes must be strong, must overcome obstacles, etc.etc." Sasha's words were not nice at all. It just shows the pain. I don't know if they are able to deal with it. If they do, it will be a good sign.
I didn't mind it the way it is easy. But from what I saw Boikova/Kozlovskii had similar problems before, when they were still "the only pair". In 2018/2019 season they lost the qualification for GPF at IdF when they had pretty solid buffer after the short program and they only needed to be second, but they messed their free skate and finished 3rd. Similar scenario happened at GPF 2019, where they were second after the SP and then messed their free, finishing at fourth place. They redeemed at Europeans which was their best performance so far and I thought "they finally delivered at the high level and get rid of what holds them down at big tournaments." But it seems it's still there. Part of it can be with the coming of Mishina/Galliamov now, but I think that big part of it lies somewhere else.

Last edited:

FelineFairy

On the Ice
I didn't mind it the way it is easy. But from what I saw Boikova/Kozlovskii had similar problems before, when they were still "the only pair". In 2018/2019 season they lost the qalification for GPF at IdF when they had pretty solid buffer after the short program and they only needed to be second, but they messed their free skate and finished 3rd. Similar scenario happened at GPF 2019, where they were second after the SP and then messed their free, finishing at fourth place. They redeemed at Europeans which was their best performance so far and I thought "they finally delivered at the high level and get rid of what holds them down at big tournaments. But it seems it's still there. Part of it can be with the coming of Mishina/Galliamov now, but I think that big part of it lies somewhere else.
Well, I had the same feelings as you, not expecting much of them in the junior/first senior years. However, don't we forget the age? We are spoiled by the ladies and expect maturity from pairs. I suppose that they might have stabilized after Euros 2020 but needed more competitions to confirm it. With pandemics, everyone suffered, but they had that additional factor of very strong and talented competitors to suddenly come into their small world which had just started to get safe.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Well, I had the same feelings as you, not expecting much of them in the junior/first senior years. However, don't we forget the age? We are spoiled by the ladies and expect maturity from pairs. I suppose that they might have stabilized after Euros 2020 but needed more competitions to confirm it. With pandemics, everyone suffered, but they had that additional factor of very strong and talented competitors to suddenly come into their small world which had just started to get safe.
Of course with more experience and maturity they should stabilize themselves mentally. I just hope they won't do any wrong move before their sense takes the lead.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I see it as her primary reaction to a great disappointment. Both skaters showed exceptional sportmanship when T/M won the Russian Nationals, and they lost to them a few months ago, but this must have felt different. You have a bad skate (relatively), you had hoped for a 'better' medal but it wasn't enough - and they could hardly call it a judges bias, as they really made those mistakes all by themselves. She was just very upset, angry with herself, and then one strikes out at someone else. I think dear Moskvina will understand, in fact I think Aleksandra will realise herself that her reaction was uncalled for and try to make amends.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@nussnacker said
She also said that she didn’t initially use the version with lyrics, because thought it’s too impudent/shameless for newbies like MG to be skating to „We are the champions“. But then thought that the desired effect is still not achieved without lyrics and decided, that she’s already 80, so she can afford doing something like that at least once 😂

I was glad the reporter asked about this, because the thought had occurred to me, obsessively re-watching M/G, I wonder who went ahead and chose this music. Tamara takes responsibility, and as usual her answers are both honest and charming. And she said this:

I will not say that I felt comfortable with this. I was constantly waiting for reproaches that it was indecent to take such a composition for debutants who have not won anything in their life yet. In the end, I decided that this should not bother me at all. Since we took the first step towards being insolent, we had to go all the way.

:love::love::love: And this is my favorite quote from her:

I couldn't tell them: “Guys, it's too early for you to think about gold, let’s take some other medal”. It so happened that they won.

It so happened that they won. This should be on everybody's lips ... but then where would pages and pages of GS arguments be? :rofl:

Lota

Record Breaker
I can't really blame Boikova for her reaction in the sense that I understand her frustration... but it does leave a bad taste in the mouth 😓 We have seen so many heartbreaking moments from athletes when they miss out on titles or medals (the inconsolable Nathalie Pechalat comes to mind, when she and Bourzat came 3rd in ID at the 2014 Worlds and missed out on getting gold by 0.06 :cry: ). But this was a completely different scenario - the results were nowhere near close and B/K were the ones that made the mistakes themselves. And obviously, the real dagger was that their fellow teammates, M/G, won. Boikova would not have reacted like that had Sui/Han been the winners.

Still, I really wish she had found a different outlet for her frustration. Like, maybe I could somewhat understand the snappy remarks had M/G been the coach and judges' favourites and the result had been close, but here? Come onnn 🙄 Well, this is a learning moment and I hope that she channels the emotions she is feeling into improving, so that next time she can show what she is capable of on the ice and be done with it (and I do agree that, once she cools down, she will probably be somewhat embarrassed herself).

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Boikova's full video reaction after their scores,
hope this is just emotional outburst and will not be a notorious habit or else it will be difficult to coach them

Wow they really put out a special video of the worst moment of Sasha B's life? Obviously there's no other reaction they expect than for people to be "What an utter b*tch. Hope Moskvina and her partner dumps her." How nice.

Man, I'm sure glad I don't have cameras following me around after I've failed because I'll can tell you I'd make Sasha look level headed.

Not a good look Eurosport Russia.

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Wow they really put out a special video of the worst moment of Sasha B's life? Obviously there's no other reaction they expect than for people to be "What an utter b*tch. Hope her partner dumps her." How nice.

Man, I'm sure glad I don't have cameras following me around after I've failed because I'll can tell you I'd make Sasha look level headed.

I agree. Poor Sasha.
Of course her reaction wasn't ideal, but in the heat of the moment she'd just experienced a huge disappointment and knew that she'd made a mistake in the program, so obviously she was very upset.
I really hope people don't turn on her for this.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Wow they really put out a special video of the worst moment of Sasha B's life? Obviously there's no other reaction they expect than for people to be "What an utter b*tch. Hope Moskvina and her partner dumps her." How nice.

Couldn't agree more! What an uneducated, removed-from-real-life, childish thing it is to make a video out of that.
What's next? It rained. The street got wet. WOW!!!!

readernick

Medalist
I agree. Poor Sasha.
Of course her reaction wasn't ideal, but in the heat of the moment she'd just experienced a huge disappointment and knew that she'd made a mistake in the program, so obviously she was very upset.
I really hope people don't turn on her for this.
I , also, couldn't agree more. I really hate "fake" drama. This happens all the time. People are human. We say stupid things in the heat of the moment. Haven't we all done it, especially at her age? Nothing to see here, move on. If they really are that upset, they can change coaches. Their decision. Not everyone likes training with their rivals and that's ok. I will say though that you couldn't have a better coach than Moskvina and I would put up with a lot to stay with her.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Not everyone likes training with their rivals and that's ok. I will say though that you couldn't have a better coach than Moskvina and I would put up with a lot to stay with her.
Exactly.
Moskvina has enough people (Alexander Smirnov?) to train pairs at different times and still get involved with all of them. Nina Mozer handled that perfectly with two training bases in Moscow and Sochi. Ksenia Stolbova and Maxim Trankov couldn't stand each other, so they trained at different times. Fedor Klimov and Vovan Morozov didn't get on, they trained in different locations. Eveything is possible, no need for drama.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Exactly. Moskvina has enough people (Alexander Smirnov?) to train pairs at different times and still get involved with all of them. Nina Mozeer handled that perfectly with two training bases in Moscow and Sochi. Ksenia Stolbova and Maxim Trankov couldn't stand each other, so they trained at different times. Fedor Klimov and Vovan Morozov didn't get on, they trained in different locations. Eveything is possible, no need for drama.
I think Moskvina has the experience to make it work. I wish the best for all involved. B/K are my favorites in terms of programs and performance. Mishina is my favorite personality. Could she be more cute? Galliamov is a beautiful skater. And, Moskvina is the 👑. I believe everything will work out!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil

s_parks

Record Breaker

Guys, stop everything and go watch this. It's TSL, I know, but it's a brilliant recap of the pairs competition and insane stories about Moskvina. I loved it.
Also, Elena talks most of the time anyways, so I second the recommendation to watch it.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I'm hearing rumors that P/K split and Mozer is looking for a new partner for Daria??? Does anyone have more on this, or whether its true/false? I can't for the life of me think why this would be a good idea unless khodykin recently acquired a career-ending injury or some other health issue.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I'm hearing rumors that P/K split and Mozer is looking for a new partner for Daria??? Does anyone have more on this, or whether its true/false? I can't for the life of me think why this would be a good idea unless khodykin recently acquired a career-ending injury or some other health issue.
Well Daria is extremely ambitious and the Russian fed pretty much told her that she and her partner are not wanted. The simply aren’t part of the feds plans.

They are the reigning Euros bronze medalist, they did really well during the cup series and beat M/G at nationals. They did absolutely everything they were asked to do and yet they still didn’t get to go to worlds. They clearly aren’t favorites of the powers in charge.

And if P/R ever get those sbs triples then they fall another place in the hierarchy. T/M possibly retiring after 2022 won’t change anything. If anything instead of splitting they should think of skating for another country cause it’s clear Russia doesn’t appreciate them

edit: I don’t know if the rumors are true but I wouldn’t be shocked. They got a mega slap in the face this season so

Last edited:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Eh. Denis has a triple lutz, they both have a triple flip. Maybe try harder? And I'm not saying this in a bitter way. But they don't have the highest TES, they don't have the highest PCS, they need to show something more for it. But I said before, it's hard to be fourth place because T/M are kind of in it for good until they retire, I doubt the Fed would say no to them. And M/G and B/K are world medallists. How do you compete with that?

s_parks

Record Breaker
Eh. Denis has a triple lutz, they both have a triple flip. Maybe try harder? And I'm not saying this in a bitter way. But they don't have the highest TES, they don't have the highest PCS, they need to show something more for it. But I said before, it's hard to be fourth place because T/M are kind of in it for good until they retire, I doubt the Fed would say no to them. And M/G and B/K are world medallists. How do you compete with that?
I'm not convinced that they're splitting (if true) because they're the Russian no. 4s? I'd think trying to find a new partner would make things harder if anything, unless there's some pairs god in Russia without a partner I haven't heard about. Also, while now being world medalists does increase their stock, I don't think that in and of itself automatically make M/G and B/K invincible. Not to mention T/M haven't exactly been looking... motivated and spirited at the moment. If anything I'd think P/K would be motivated even more after worlds. I think it's up to everyone to keep working hard and improve.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Guys, stop everything and go watch this. It's TSL, I know, but it's a brilliant recap of the pairs competition and insane stories about Moskvina. I loved it.
I wish people wouldn't. I don't care how good their guests are, the hosts themselves are toxic and utterly horrible for the sport. Maybe if we ignored them they'd disappear and be replaced by people who have respect and decency.

(Although I'd like to have seen their faces when "fat" Liza Tuk won Worlds Silver, that would have been sweet. 😈)